The Effects of Photoshop on Society - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot
How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
3 Weeks Ago
daisy in my lazy eye
When I walk around my city, I see so many young girls taking selfies for instagram. I can hear their overly critical comments about their looks, because they want to 'get the shot right'. There's a big pressure to post about their visit and show their peers they are 'going places'. I remember watching that switch go on in society. It used to be only people in the fashion business that were self-conscious about that self-absorbed thing called 'personal branding', and then suddenly everyone was carrying around selfie sticks. I thought it would blow over, but it didn't. It has just gotten worse.

It seems that facetune + advocating a fitgirl/vegan lifestyle has become a standard template for quick instagram success. Women in their 20s are taking those ingredients in hopes of starting a digital career, with paid sponsors and free trips. They just look at other accounts and go like 'I could do that! Travel, organize my own time and make money doing things I like!'. Those that are blessed with lucky genes and a business mindset can make it, but they're presenting a more than hypocrite message to younger generations that will look to them for inspiration. And the cycle continues. I think however, there's not that much different from the time before social media and selfies. It's just that those built in 12 megapixel cameras are magnifying insecurities and teen angst, for the world to see. I'm sure there are just as many young kids that are smart enough to see things for what they are and separate themselves from it.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by domenica View Post
Here's a Daily Mail article calling her out:
"I know my angles"

Oh, please. Those aren't even her legs anymore. The difference is obvious even when she's fully clothed. It's visual fiction. She's the Danielle Steele of Instagram.

There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
2 Weeks Ago
That's a good post! I personally love retouching, but I try to avoid making people look 'fake' as muuuuch as I can

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

effects, photoshop, society