How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-07-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post
From ethical consumer:

How ironic.
How so?

18-07-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
How so?
A lot of EC is about environmental impact of goods. So to publish a magazine with the title ethical in it implies a different action to their words. I suppose one could also say hypocritical but I felt that word was somewhat...harsh.

19-07-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
PS I guess I don't see the irony I actually have found several magazines (not familiar with that one) very helpful to me in becoming a more and more ethical consumer. There are very few of us in the West living off the land ... virtually all of us are consumers, and there's two ways to do that The mindless Wal-mart shopper way is one ...
I guess for me, personally, the ethical consumer movement is based on common sense. I say to myself every day "Do I need this?". Actually I mainly only buy food nowadays. I feel that magazines (as much as I love them and had a burning childhood dream to be the editor of one) are unnecessary as far as ethical consumers go, because the information can be stored on the internet instead. So that's where I stand on the issue.

21-07-2007
rising star

^^^ If you recycle them when you're done, it all evens out.

23-07-2007
fashion insider

Unfortunately there are very few magazines made from 100% recycled post-consumer pulp. I wish print wasn't so infinitely sexy, I catch myself thinking "Oh I could make a magazine" and then catch myself...god it's so sexy..such a sexy format....but unnecessary. *sigh*.

15-08-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura View Post
I guess for me, personally, the ethical consumer movement is based on common sense. I say to myself every day "Do I need this?". Actually I mainly only buy food nowadays. I feel that magazines (as much as I love them and had a burning childhood dream to be the editor of one) are unnecessary as far as ethical consumers go, because the information can be stored on the internet instead. So that's where I stand on the issue.
Well, the Internet is great, but I believe there's absolutely still a place for hardcopy. I read magazines at my dining room table, books on the sofa or in bed ... much friendlier on the eyes, easier to hold, tactile, no radiation, etc. Trees are a renewable resource, no reason we can't do paper right ...

Now newspapers, they're a blight to me ... but I know there's still a hardcore fan base. I have always hated newsprint transfer

14-09-2007
Press escape to continue.

Quote:
Top UK fashion firms failing poorest workers-report

Some of Britain's fashion retailers are not doing enough to help lift workers who make their clothes out of poverty, a report published by two charities said on Friday.

War on Want and Labour Behind the Label surveyed 34 retailers and said 12 firms and brands "cold-shouldered the only detailed study on the case for garment employees to receive a living wage."

It said the 12, which included well-known high street brands, deserved "severe criticism and consumer scepticism."

The charities said the firms failed to accept the need for overseas garment workers to be paid a "living wage" by their suppliers, had little or no information available on pay levels, and failed to respond to questions posed by the authors.

The study called "Let's Clean Up Fashion" was published on the eve of London Fashion Week.

The Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI), a broad alliance of firms NGOs and unions working to ensure that the conditions of workers producing for the UK market meet or exceed international labour standards, said wages should always be enough to meet basic needs and to provide some discretionary income.

Simon McRae, senior campaigns officer for War on Want, said: "This report exposes retailers' empty rhetoric on ethical treatment for workers who make their clothes, but remain trapped in poverty.

"The British government must introduce regulation to stop UK companies exploiting overseas workers."

The study builds on a similar one issued 12 months ago giving firms the chance to say how they have tried to improve workers' wages and conditions.
investing.reuters.co.uk . By Stefano Ambrogi published 14 September 2007

front row

Quote:
^ Soooooooo sad

Exactly why it makes me so angry when people buy cheap crap at Wal-mart & the like & then toss it on the trash heap a few months--or weeks or days--later. Not only is it bad for the planet, but the present human cost is so tragic as well ...
Exactly. And the clothes are so cheap and of poor quality its not like you can donate them to Goodwill, womans shelters, Dress for Success, etc because they are already worn out. If you're only going to wear something for a few months and toss it, at least buy something someone else can use later.

16-09-2007
trendsetter

I think that the trick to buying ethically is to shop with a charity credit card - see here

http://www.joinred.com/products/americanexpress/

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/se...ge/tplStandard

I agree with the posts above and if you want to check out the ethics of a particular company check out here

http://www.corporatecritic.org/companies.aspx

and if you actually want to do something about it go to here

http://www.thenag.net/about

Hope this is useful

17-09-2007
Power to the 99%

^ You could also pay cash and give the money you save in interest to charity

23-09-2007
windowshopping

check out GOOD magazine. It is based around a, well, 'good' lifestyle. They have a random movie or article about fashion and all its what nots. They also have quite the creatively inspireing series on youtube

http://www.goodmagazine.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/GOODMagazine

23-09-2007
trendsetter

fashionista-ta - paying on a charity credit card doesn't actually cost you more though

24-09-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin_It View Post
fashionista-ta - paying on a charity credit card doesn't actually cost you more though
If you are the .001% of the population that has never failed to pay the credit card off each month, perhaps not ...

25-09-2007
trendsetter

sadly I am within that 0.00001 % (how sad does that make me - lol)

27-10-2007
backstage pass

I'm writing an article about the ethical consumer trend, and this thread has been really helpful! Thanks everyone.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, clothing, consumer, ethical, fair, human, movement, rights, trade