How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-10-2007
Bel
front row

Does anybody know if you can recycle clothes? For things that are too worn or undesirable to donate--the fibers can probably be used somehow, right?

And for my econ project I wound really appreciate is somebody could tell be any publicly traded companies that fit in this trend.

28-10-2007
front row

I use some old things as rags, since buying rags seems counterintuitive and just plain silly.

You could make a quilt out of bits and pieces, I think I read somewhere that a family did that.

I don't know where you could recycle clothes like cans and bottles, etc. I suppose you could, since one of my pens is made from reclaimed denim, but as I said, I'm not sure.

29-10-2007
front row

Bel - I think that maybe Patagonia recycle their own clothes into new lines, if you mean those kind of companies. Its an interesting company and often used as a case study in the environmental studies world (although the clothes are a bit bleurgh).

I know that most countries used to have recycling companies but they may be dying out.

On a side note, charity shops in the uk are getting fed up with the masses of cheap (shite) clothing from shops like Primark, New Look etc.
Check this out http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article2715471.ece

29-10-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel View Post
Does anybody know if you can recycle clothes? For things that are too worn or undesirable to donate--the fibers can probably be used somehow, right?

And for my econ project I wound really appreciate is somebody could tell be any publicly traded companies that fit in this trend.
My sister volunteers for a charity that receives clothing donations. They sort them & send the ones like you describe to China. Don't ask me what happens to them there ... I would love to know more about it.

I too cut up my old cotton things into rags, but some things (silk, etc.) aren't really suitable for that ...

28-01-2008
backstage pass

from www.springwise.com:

(Springwise scans the globe for the most promising business ventures, ideas and concepts ready for regional or international adaptation, expansion, partnering, investments or cooperation. Ferociously tracking more than 400 global offline and online business resources, as well as taking to the streets of world cities, digital cameras at hand. )

Cosemetics for a Cause
There are lots of cosmetics companies out there that donate to charities of one sort or another, or that eschew testing on animals. But Peacekeeper Cause-Metics appears to be unique in the industry in that it donates all its distributable profits to charity.
Taking a page from Paul Newman's business book for his Newman's Own line—not to mention that of Belgian mobile operator Ello Mobile, which we covered in 2006—PeaceKeeper was launched in 2002 with the sole purpose of helping women in need around the world. The New York-based company offers a line of natural lipsticks, nail polishes, lip glosses and lip balms that are free of toluene, formaldehyde, acetone phthalates, parabens and FD&C colouring, and that are made without animal testing. All after-tax distributable profits from the company's sales go to help women's health advocacy and urgent human rights issues, including domestic violence and battery, the sex slave trade, gender inequality, rape and infanticide. PeaceKeeper also gives one half of one percent of its gross revenues each year to charity, and it makes micro-credit loans to women in need. To date, the company has given more than USD 55,000 in cash donations and USD 30,000 in products to women-focused non-profits for their silent auctions or VIP events. Organizations that have benefited include Womenslaw.org, Project Hope International, the Small Planet Fund and Women for Afghan Women, among many others.
Whole Foods, Henri Bendel and Nordstrom are among the upscale retailers that have embraced PeaceKeeper Cause-Metics, along with celebrities Daryl Hannah, Bonnie Raitt and Julia Ormond. In this era of increasing social consciousness, it's hard to imagine a more worthwhile way to put business skills to work. Social entrepreneurs: replicate this model!
Spotted by: Ozgur Alaz

28-01-2008
rising star

I really love this thread... hopefully it stays on the mainpage for a while so more people have the chance to read some of it.

Everyone's talking about donating/recycling clothing, but what about cutting down on your consumerism in general? Clothes, people definitely buy too much of. But the same goes for electronics like iPods... Apple brings out new versions of them 3 times a year or something, and herds of people throw out their perfectly good "last generation" ones. It's so wasteful, but it's how consumerism works.

And, you know, the economy will asplode if you don't buy everything you've ever wanted. You, apparently, are worth it.

backstage pass

I think this is such a beautiful idea:

http://rosaloves.com

One of the challenges for charitable organizations large and small is to get potential donors to feel the need for help in an immediate and personal way. By selling t-shirts imprinted with the stories of the specific individuals in need of assistance, Rosa Loves raises the necessary funds while also giving donors a tangible connection with the people they have helped.
Each Rosa Loves t-shirt is created to help a specific person, family or community, and 60 percent of its sales go directly to providing that assistance. The story of those in need is told on each t-shirt through not just a graphical design on the outside, but also a written description of that story on the shirt's inside, just over the wearer's heart. T-shirts are hand-numbered and created in limited runs; once the needed amount has been raised for a particular cause, Rosa Loves stops printing and selling the associated t-shirt. A series of t-shirts over the holidays, for example, was designed to provide holiday meals to 10 families in the St. Augustine, Florida, area, where Rosa Loves is based. In just two weeks, the shirts sold out and Rosa Loves had enough funds to supply the needed meals.
The site's founders explain: "It's usually thoughts like, 'those people over there,' that perpetuate a sense of complacency and lack of concern. Rosa Loves wants to shed light on the stories around us, to give them a real face, a real name." from www.springwise.com

Here is the most recent T-shirt for sale for this family:
Mr. Girendro Sharkar lived with a growing tumor on his throat. He fought this illness until he could no longer eat, drink or speak. Mr. Sharkar passed away leaving behind his wife and five young children in their thatch house with walls patched with newspaper and magazine pages. Full story here: http://rosaloves.com/stories/view/8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharkar-01.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)

09-02-2008
tfs star

The reason why I haven't responded to this is because I don't really know what's being conveyed here. Now that I've read a little more about this, I'm free to comment. I'm just an opinionated fellow out of Houston, Texas.

Let me just say this. Whether you like the clothing or not (I'm going by People Tree), this is an amazing concept. Something we kind of forget as followers of fashion is that while we honor and admire stylish and interesting clothing, we still should be reminded that no matter what our favorite trends and apparel types are, the clothes we wear still keep us warm and safe while looking good at the same time. Some developing nations don't really have unworldly budgets to clothe an entire nation. This Fair Trade package will help to help out disadvantaged producers.

I am a true supporter of viable causes for the greater good. Who cares if such firms don't offer lustful and alluring clothing for prices you'd find at a Neiman Marcus or a Saks Fifth Avenue? You don't really appreciate what this is about until you actually read more about what these makers are trying to accomplish as part of this initiative. I guess one could say that the absolute best way to look chic is to make a difference for others. Anything that can be done to look good while making a difference or supporting a cause is perfectly fine with me. I don't really think you can argue against this ethical consumer deal. Think of the nations that don't have exorbitant budgets or not enough resources to make the quality of life in other nations. As my classical quote goes: "make a statement without saying anything." It's a great idea.

backstage pass

I had breakfast here this morning.....such a wonderful project!!! My food was fantastic and the cafe is adorable.

Cafe Too
Cafe Too is a restaurant skills training program providing skills-building and employment opportunities in an atmosphere of dignity and respect to people facing barriers to self sufficiency.

The 13-week training program focuses on a variety of subjects, including: basic culinary skills and concepts, reading and converting recipes, following and taking direction, teamwork, sanitation and safety, restaurant service, and job-readiness soft skills.

Each participant qualifies for a food-service sanitation and safety license. In addition, students gain hands-on experience by working for nine weeks at the Cafe Too restaurant at 4715 N. Sheridan Rd. Students gain experience on lunch, brunch and dinner shifts and learn a broad range of skills. Once placed into employment, graduates are eligible for indefinite supportive services to ensure job retention and promote career advancement.

www.cafetoo.org

30-03-2008
trendsetter

TUDOBOM?: a new fair trade clothing label
Tudo Bom? is a French label that works with Brazilian producers to create fair trade clothing. Last year they singed a partnership with La Redoute.

online shop: http://www.tudobom-shop.com/

backstage pass

Woman Craft- the social enterprise of Deborah's Place (In Chicago-Deborah’s Place is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breast cancer cards.jpg (34.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg little_square_notecard.jpg (37.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg trifold.jpg (35.7 KB, 58 views)

backstage pass

Not sure what happened to my text in the post above so here is what I said! :

Woman Craft- the social enterprise of Deborah's Place (In Chicago-Deborah’s Place is Chicago's largest provider of supportive housing exclusively for women.) provides a supportive, authentic workplace for women who have experienced homelessness. Handmade, Recycled, Fair Trade custom invitations, notecards, stationary, gifts and more.

Breast cancer awareness cards, little square notecards, and wedding invitation images from www.womancraft.net

Last edited by shoegal2183; 14-05-2008 at 01:26 PM.
10-08-2010
fashion icon

Fair Trade and Handcrafted Fashions
I have been looking all over TFS for a thread about fair trade/handcrafted products but could not find one. I don't think I am the only person on here that is interested about fair trade and handcrafted clothes, accessories, and jewelry. I have found it difficult in some ways to find a lot of brands which could be considered fair trade. I was hoping that everyone could tell me about their favorite fair trade labels; what the purpose of creating the brand was, why you love this label, and where I could find it.
The one few fair trade brands which I know of/shop at is People Tree. People Tree works with over 50 different fair trade groups in 15 different countries with the goal of benefiting people and the planet through as many of the production steps as possible. I love People Tree because they make beautiful clothes while at the same time maintaining a brand that is concerned with helping other people secure a better life for themselves. So tell me, why do you love fair trade fashion?

12-08-2010
windowshopping

Hey, have a look at who Foundation Agency represents. They're a PR agency who only work with ethical brands. Their clients are mainly fashion brands but they do branch into other areas as well.

12-08-2010
fashion icon

Thanks Elondra... I will go and have a look at the Foundation Agency, they sound pretty awesome!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, clothing, consumer, ethical, fair, human, movement, rights, trade