How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-02-2011
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
The Adam Smith Institute prepared a report a few years ago suggesting that Fare Trade damages the people it claims to help by making them reliant on the subsidies generated by the high prices that people are charged for these products.

Obviously I am not in favour of "sweat shop" labour but there is always the law of unintended consequences to think of.

Here is a quote from prof Michael Munger;

"Fair trade" raises costs to consumers. Worse, it enslaves the people it claims to help, with the invisible chains of artificial subsidy, and arrested economic development.
Yep, exactly like the oil companies, who are enslaved by the people who demand oil, and big agriculture, forced to grow corn and wheat that people don't need by the invisible chains of government subsidy. Their economic development is definitely arrested! They would be better off without our money.

23-02-2011
Power to the 99%

^ I'm doing my best to free the oil companies Corn is a bit more of a challenge ... as you may know, when they analyze an American human body, it's basically made of corn. (Not sure how they do it ... ) Corn that fed the cattle, who made the hamburgers and milk, corn that fed the chickens who made the McNuggets ...

24-02-2011
Soviet Camaro

Don't forget High Fructose Corn Syrup, which makes its way into an astonishing array of foods. But we digress...

I am in favor of fair trade in principle. And I confess I haven't read the whole thread. At the risk of repeating something already said, there is a tension between wanting to promote fair trade and the realities of a shrunken economy. If you are already strapped for cash, how much more will you pay to follow through on your principles? This is a balance that everyone has to come to terms with if they want to support fair trade.

Power to the 99%

^ So far I have been going largely with my principles & making do with less. When you start buying a certain way it becomes an ingrained habit ... I would have to make a major effort to change now. I wish there were more information about how clothes are made. Obviously nothing good is happening at Forever 21, but there's no guarantee that the upscale things you buy are really made well, unless you happen to know a lot about the company (Bottega, etc.).

I got my mother's husband fair trade/organic coffee for Christmas, and mentioned it was fair trade. My mother said, Isn't most coffee fair trade now? I probably got a look like this on my face Uh no, that's why they have a fair trade mark ...

05-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I'm doing my best to free the oil companies Corn is a bit more of a challenge ... as you may know, when they analyze an American human body, it's basically made of corn. (Not sure how they do it ... ) Corn that fed the cattle, who made the hamburgers and milk, corn that fed the chickens who made the McNuggets ...

Interesting! According to the mayan "bible" (Popul Voh) God created humans out of maize (corn). Nowadays some clothing manufacturers produce eco-friendly garments out of corn!

06-03-2011
Power to the 99%

^ Unfortunately, unless it's organic corn, that's not very eco-friendly. Corn is the most receptive crop to petroleum-based fertilizers, but it's less efficient to make things from petroleum-based corn than from petroleum itself.

19-03-2011
V.I.P.

Is this where we'd talk about the incredible increase in Fur and reptile skins in Fall 2010-11 RTW lines? Or is there another thread?

19-03-2011
Power to the 99%

^ Oh, there's a fur thread all right--it's in Personal Style. I'm sure there's also a fur thread in the trend forum. I would think this would be the place if you specifically want to talk about fair trade aspects of fur and skins ...

05-04-2011
trendsetter

Hi ! Well I didn't read the whole thread (yet) but I thought I could share some link and if you haven't, please check Livia Firth thread over ! She did a great job at giving more exposure to "high" fair trade/eco designers during her green carpet challenge here is her blog!

Some links :
That's where I buy most of myhats
A great initiative by the british fashion council
If you live in France/can pop up in Paris for quick not so expensive clothes
I am in love with some of their jackets
Eco stiletto
Eco fabulous
Ecouterre

Some really interesting blogs/website in order to learn a little more about the while "eco thing"
Labour behind the labels
Green is sexy

I am so glad I was able to join TFS today! Looking forward some really great discussions

21-06-2011
rising star

Ethical Clothing Renaissance?
Hey, ethical and green fashionistas!

Retail Week (an influential british trade magazine) has amazing great news for all the people working in the ethical clothing industry not only in the UK but also around the world! Why? Because the UK ethical clothing industry is pretty "mature" to be considered a role-model for other countries to follow-up to start and grow their ethical fashion industries.

According to Retail 2011 (an UK retail analysis report you can buy in their site) "for fashion shoppers there is a move towards quality items that can be worn with a variety of outfits. Product remains central to clothing retailers’ success, and there is some evidence that consumers’ love affair with value fashion* is waning".

*Value fashion = fast fashion

Sounds great, right?! This is the first time we have some positive signals since last global recession started (end of 2007) :p Back then analysts, and industry insiders believed ethical would surge favoured by consumers looking for investment clothing. But quite the opposite happened when fashion value retailers absorbed most of consumer spendings with their cheap offerings.

Anyway, I wonder how much the increases in cotton in Asia are distorting/affecting these signals.

21-06-2011
Power to the 99%

^ So what is the evidence? I have definitely seen these ideas getting some press, and I thought that the Celine-led trend toward 'quality basics' was interesting ... would like to hear more about the evidence they cite.

***I must say that calling fast fashion 'value fashion' is both and

22-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
^ So what is the evidence? I have definitely seen these ideas getting some press, and I thought that the Celine-led trend toward 'quality basics' was interesting ... would like to hear more about the evidence they cite.

***I must say that calling fast fashion 'value fashion' is both and
I don't about the evidence which I'd also like to know more about it. Although here's a clue "Retail 2011 is an exclusive report which comprehensively defines the state of the UK retail industry today. It is informed by testimony from 25 chief executives and board-level directors, from the largest UK retail brands" (Retail Week 2011, special offer price for subscribers £598 (VAT included)).

Last edited by F0F0; 22-06-2011 at 06:03 AM.
22-06-2011
rising star

I do not agree with ASI's report on 'Fair Trade' being more damaging.

Subsidiaries would be bad if everyone stopped using them. American and European farmers get subsidiaries (massive ones too) from the goverments to make their cotton & veg. crops competitive with the Asian competitors. Adam Smith Insititute should be talking about remove those subsidiaries first before the 'fair trade' ones.

22-06-2011
Power to the 99%

^ And before they talk about removing that, they should remove their heads from a certain orifice ... Can you imagine if you got paid to think, and that's the drivel you came up with?

There are a number of lines that I know are made well in terms of labor ... I just wish I found them more aesthetically appealing. What we need is Rugmark for the fashion industry ...

26-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
^ And before they talk about removing that, they should remove their heads from a certain orifice ... Can you imagine if you got paid to think, and that's the drivel you came up with?

There are a number of lines that I know are made well in terms of labor ... I just wish I found them more aesthetically appealing. What we need is Rugmark for the fashion industry ...
I hear ya sister!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, clothing, consumer, ethical, fair, human, movement, rights, trade