How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-06-2005
backstage pass

I read that Sienna Miller only wears fair trade clothing....

15-06-2005
living in the sprawl

^I highly doubt that.. not with all the designers she sports.. but I could be wrong.

I'm bookmarking this thread for sure!

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
16-06-2005
slightly dizzy

I'm all for fair trade, but much of the stuff is seriously hippiesque or non-descript.

I'd love some fair trade with more "attitude".

16-06-2005
backstage pass

I love this thread! Thanks for the topic.

This is not clothes but still kind of fashion, The Body Shop is very liberal-minded with their workers and production.

16-06-2005
ingenue

^ beauty products are also very appropriate here in trendspotting, seraphelle, so thanks for the tip on the body shop! they support community trade, and there's more information on their website about how they do it: http://www.uk.thebodyshop.com/web/tbsuk/values_sct.jsp

the body shop is affiliated with http://www.makepovertyhistory.org, and white bands can be bought at their uk shops.

16-06-2005
backstage pass

Oh thanks for that Utopia I've lost my Poverty band so I need a new one! And its an issue that I actually care about and I dont wear the band for fashion.

Arn't all Stella McCartney products fairtrade?

I know H&M and many other chain stores and big brands such as Nike exploit children and the poor in the developing countries...

Last edited by missy-t1; 16-06-2005 at 02:11 PM.
16-06-2005
woolgathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogist
Thought I'd revive this thread by mentioning Dosa...it's a California-based label with an environmentalist philosophy. Prices are extremely high, but I suppose justified, if you take their production methods and labour practices into account (see the time.com article below).
thanks for mentioning dosa, droogist. i wanted to post something about the brand, but i didn't know if dosa was technically fair trade or not. i really love her clothes and i think they are worth the expense!

also, thanks to utopia and everyone else who posted...this is a very informative thread

16-06-2005
spoilt victorian child

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy-t1
Arn't all Stella McCartney products fairtrade?
Unfortunately no...Stella McCartney's products are vegan, but that's as far as it goes.

And you're welcome utopia, luxmode...luxmode, I hesitated about posting it for the same reason, but this thread doesn't seem to be strictly limited to fair trade anymore. Perhaps a name change is in order, to a more general title...although the name seems to be changing all the time :p

16-06-2005
V.I.P.

Dosa is a cool brand
thanks for the article droogist

I saw a bunch of the Edun stuff the other day, I really like it actually

ingenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogist
Unfortunately no...Stella McCartney's products are vegan, but that's as far as it goes.

And you're welcome utopia, luxmode...luxmode, I hesitated about posting it for the same reason, but this thread doesn't seem to be strictly limited to fair trade anymore. Perhaps a name change is in order, to a more general title...although the name seems to be changing all the time :p
yes it has undergone a few name changes already... perhaps we might start up a separate organic and vegan clothing trend thread...I think it'd be good to keep this topic focused mainly on fair trade clothing, rather than lumping all the 'philanthropic topics' all into the same thread and thus overshadowing the fair trade focus. I'll do some research and get to it shortly.

28-06-2005
ingenue

for anyone who is in london, tomorrow there will be a talk at the fashion and textile museum that I think is very relevant to this topic:

Quote:
What is the cost of fashion? June 8, 15, 29 & July 13 6.30 – 8.00pm
The Fashion & Textile Museum is proud to continue its much-anticipated series of Wednesday evening talks. Sponsored by Newham College, this particular series will explore and debate four controversial topics whilst attempting to answer the question ‘what is the cost of fashion?’

29 June: Fashion and Working Conditions:
Is there an ‘ethical revolution sweeping through the world’s sweatshops?’ as the Independent suggested in a recent article?

Are large fashion companies really cleaning up their act and turning away from inhumane working conditions? A distinguished panel, chaired by a marketing guru with a conscience, Diana Verde Nieto from Clownfish Marketing, includes fashion icon Katharine Hamnett, Senior Fashion Editor at WGSN Verity Mcliveen, Collin LeDuc from Generation IM, Fashion Journalist Fleur Britten and Tamsin Lejeune from Label behind the Labour.

Tickets: £7 per person (Concessions £5) Capacity per event – 100 To book please call: 0207 407 8664 For further information please contact: Michelle Arnusch on 020 7407 8664 or e-mail marketing@ftmlondon.org

30-06-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia
yes it has undergone a few name changes already... perhaps we might start up a separate organic and vegan clothing trend thread...I think it'd be good to keep this topic focused mainly on fair trade clothing, rather than lumping all the 'philanthropic topics' all into the same thread and thus overshadowing the fair trade focus. I'll do some research and get to it shortly.
it would be great to have a "sustainably made clothing" thread, but i think that's next to impossible. maybe one in which companies could meet two out of three factors would be doable. there would be a lot of overlap with the individual threads though. i dunno, just a suggestion... what i don't get is, if companies are gonna be good in one sense, why don't they just go all the way?

anyway, back on topic, johanna hofring does an organic, sweatshop free label, but i have yet to see her work properly. no sweat apparel is not very good for clothing, but they also make converse look alikes. oh and i think fair trade can be made in any country, as long as workers are being paid living wages and being allowed to leave, etc. i think fair trade and sweatshop free go hand in hand in apparel.

thanks everyone for all the great links and information! great thread

Last edited by sea of stitches; 30-06-2005 at 02:04 AM.
30-06-2005
rising star

What about Katherine Hamnett? I didn't hear a lot about her in America but in England I understand she's pretty well known. I remember reading an article about her in Organic Style a few years back.

30-06-2005
V.I.P.

Thanks everyone for posting. Do any of these websites ship to the US?

01-07-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
American Apparel. Although I hear they did try to stop the workers from unionising

Hi. I'm new here, found this forum through a friend. I'm a big wearer of "American Apparel"s stuff, and I also order our nonprofit tshirts (http://www.africanwellfund.org/merchandise.html) from them.

Is there any truth to this? Where did you hear it? I did a search on google and found nothing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brands, clothing, consumer, ethical, fair, human, movement, rights, trade