How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
04-04-2007
  181
trendsetter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_77
Who siad anything about blindly follow??? i think this debate is getting fairly heated and a bit b*tchy (to my mild amusement). The topic and difference of opinion is quite simple. My point is simply that for those who feel bored with fashion they should extent their source(s) of inspiration until they find something interesting. What is it about fashion that you find boring - whats been churned out on Net a Porter?!?!? Yes of course if you look at mainstream lines which are produced only with commercial success in mind then they are boring. Its the same with music. You can look at the charts and say "music is all the same, its been done before, its boring and commercial" but there are other sources of music musicians doing really interesting stuff and trying to push the boundaries. My point is simply that it is up to individuals to find inspiration in an alternative place - as opposed to just writing off the season (and therefore, by default all designers) as boring.
Brilliant, brilliant post!!! Thank GOD someone said it!!

WhiteLinen, you only look at mainstream designers, designers that are up on style.com maybe you need to follow new designers more and underground fashion in general.

  Reply With Quote
 
04-04-2007
  182
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,773
Quote:
WhiteLinen, you only look at mainstream designers, designers that are up on style.com maybe you need to follow new designers more and underground fashion in general.
Do I really come off as that? I adore indie designers. My favourite collections from this season were not from big fashion weeks like Paris/Milan/NYC/London.

Just because you are indie/underground does not mean you are instantly creative, cutting edge or avant garde.

I am actually a little bit offended by your comment. Could you please show me an independent, underground designer that is doing something innovative and avant garde, something that is taking fashion forward?

__________________
"Because of all sorts of cloth have their motions, as well as Bodies, it must needs that they differ in themselves." -Lomazzo

Last edited by Whitelinen; 04-04-2007 at 10:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  183
trendsetter
 
zamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new york
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
Do I really come off as that? I adore indie designers. My favourite collections from this season were not from big fashion weeks like Paris/Milan/NYC/London.

Just because you are indie/underground does not mean you are instantly creative, cutting edge or avant garde.

I am actually a little bit offended by your comment. Could you please show me an independent, underground designer that is doing something innovative and avant garde, something that is taking fashion forward?
I am not takint the position of the person to whom you are responding, neither is my intent to offend,
but to answer your question, with a designer who is not so new, but is innovative and taking fashion. waaaayyy forward.

HUSSIEN CHALAYAN.

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  184
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,773
Quote:
HUSSEIN CHALAYAN.
I agree! But I don't think he is "underground", and the person in question here was saying we should all look for undergroung designers to find innovative ideas.

I am not sure if Chalayan is taking fashion forward in shapes etc. but he is doing a lot with the interactive part of it- and that I think is new. However, the actual clothes are not innovative in their shape I think. They are traditional, but done in a new way. But he's a good and exciting designer. I definetily wish there were more designers like him, although he still is not innovative enough for my standards.

__________________
"Because of all sorts of cloth have their motions, as well as Bodies, it must needs that they differ in themselves." -Lomazzo
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  185
trendsetter
 
zamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new york
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
I agree! But I don't think he is "underground", and the person in question here was saying we should all look for undergroung designers to find innovative ideas.

I am not sure if Chalayan is taking fashion forward in shapes etc. but he is doing a lot with the interactive part of it- and that I think is new. However, the actual clothes are not innovative in their shape I think. They are traditional, but done in a new way. But he's a good and exciting designer. I definetily wish there were more designers like him, although he still is not innovative enough for my standards.
If you want innovative shapes you should check out his earlier work (also , how innovative can you get with shapes when fashion, something intended to be worn is limited by the anatomy.)
also could you PLEASE define your standards, so that i understand what you mean by saying "he is still not innovative enough for MY standards"

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  186
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,773
My standards; Something completely original. Something that will make people go "this cannot be possible to wear in a million years". Something that will make people wonder. Something that will make fashion change. Something that will make people fear.

__________________
"Because of all sorts of cloth have their motions, as well as Bodies, it must needs that they differ in themselves." -Lomazzo
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  187
windowshopping
 
fashionhollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hollywood, California USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 16
!....you GUYS and GALS are so on the money with your thoughts. I was thinking that I was the only one that noticed the change. I honestly only blame it on the schools. Back when I was in school (in the 60s), teachers made a conscious effort to teach students about Craftmanship, style, history and creativity in fashion. Unfortunately. It's not happening now. If it is then somebody better tell us about it and where to find it cause it sure ain't happening on the Runways....! Nowadays everybody is putting out a "line". Even the one's without a clue to what FASHION is ALL about. God Help us All...!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  188
Wanderlust
 
Salvatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Paris
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
My standards; Something completely original. Something that will make people go "this cannot be possible to wear in a million years". Something that will make people wonder. Something that will make fashion change. Something that will make people fear.
Well see, I think it is somewhat impossible to be completely original at this point in time. It is easier said than done. I think references to something will always pop up no matter what is done.

(and by the sounds of your standards, minus the completely original part, you have a good ole Galliano show! )

__________________
sounds like "dirty European aristocracy".....

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  189
rising star
 
Rami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: washington, dc
Gender: femme
Posts: 149
designers can't be too risky or else they won't have a market...

__________________
Jourdan, Chanel, Hollis.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  190
backstage pass
 
Blanche DuBois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Argentina, Bs.As.
Gender: femme
Posts: 781
In my opinion, fashion is boring now because of the trends and the whole scenario that designers have been putting on the shows, the mood and everything

it always happens, it happened in the 90's when suddenly a lot of unknown models appeared with androginy and everything, and it was a strong trend, but the mood at that time was sober and sad, and those models helped to built that image...and then we get rid of that and something happy and fresh appears, I mean change of trends, for instance the 2000 when Gisele and Carmen were the models of the season

I believe we are now in a low spot...the models are all the same, we don't have right now a Vodianova, they are very plain girls with no spark...and the proof of that is the backstage pics that used to be such a fun when daria and company was at the shows...now the girls have that sad look that just don't appeal to me

Those baloon skirts and egg shapes just made every show weird, and unwearable, and just ugly, I hated those proportions,...they are not soft at all, we dont' have something sweet and delicate to balance that...there so much yang and no ying

I think we need to see beauty in a new state, less hard, more graceful, and a
bit of circus aswell, because we need the buzz of fashion, we need news, changes, and please no more theorizing about fashion...bring back new and happy references, we need to dress with grace again...

__________________
"...The summer you left Belle rive, the summer dad died...and you left us..."
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  191
trendsetter
 
DuTTyRoCK112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: new york
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,019
well i find it very pretentious to have that anti-commercial mentality, because something can be very commercial but very appealing. right now, nobody is both, but that was not always the case. i'm thinking of 2000-2003-ish. that was a very optimistic period when every commercial designer had a very distinct vision and hardly anyone relied on very prevalent trends. commercial fashion can be good as long as it's marketed for it's loyal customer and not for every "fashion fan"

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  192
& b
 
Alejandro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MIAMI
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,092
you have to go way down to the underground, because even some indie designers these days have become so pretentios, as the scene becomes pretentious as well.

__________________
Homosexuality is God's way of insuring that the truly gifted aren't burdened with children.
  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  193
trendsetter
 
zamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new york
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
My standards; Something completely original. Something that will make people go "this cannot be possible to wear in a million years". Something that will make people wonder. Something that will make fashion change. Something that will make people fear.

I find your response to be somewhat unrealistic and vague.
there are no specifics in your respone.
to to reply to what you say.
again, if fashion is something to be worn, it is regulated by the anatomy,and therefore finite.
there are so many variables that dictate fashion. Sometimes i think we fail to look at one things relationship to another, and thus loose sight of the big picture.
I will give you an example.

whenever i design my collections, there are always things that i design, ideas that i have, that i can never do because i dont have the time and resources to do them.
if i should get some kind of resources (financial investment) then i could do a lot of things that i cant do now, however, there are a lot of things i do now, that i wouldnt be able to do if i had an investor, because he (the investor) is expecting a return on his investment, and whether we want to admit it or not, it influences what we design
there is not a single designer alive who does not want to sell products.........those who innovate too far from the saleable market, often create a route to perdition...............

  Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  194
Fat Karl
 
dior_couture1245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NY
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena
I find fashion more exciting because its more accessible....I can see things I couldn't even imagine before. I don't find it boring at all (well except NYC fashion week ) - I find it as inspiring as I did when I was 14 and first caught the bug. Admittedly I don't like the same kind of fashion now but thats how ones tastes evolve & mature surely...? I am not sure I find mystique interesting per se.....its beauty that i find interesting. And beauty is still there.
I agree 100% with you, helena. I still love fashion more than anything. I remember so clearly the first fashion show I ever saw (not in person, obviously) was Dior HC FW 04. I've been hooked ever since! I still believe in fashion with all my heart...it's just going through a little lazy period right now!

I, as with most others here, agree that fashion has become a bit too comercial, and that the true creatives have been burried under the weight of the pressure to sell. And...I have no idea how it can be solved!


The firing of Anna Wintour will change a lot, I believe. Here in America, so few people KNOW fashion. Americans who read Vogue do it because Jennifer Hudson is on the cover. They consider themselves fashionable because they shop at Juicy Couture and Abercrombie and their favorite model is Gisele. They all know Dior but don't know who Galliano is. They think Marc Jacobs is God and Chloe is "cute." These are the people that feul the rut that fashion is in right now. If Vogue were to get an editor who could make the magazine something more like French Vogue, we'd be getting somewhere.

When the people begin to demand creativity, then, I think, designers will be able to rid themselves of the pressure to sell. Instead, Americans are being spoon-fed by Wintour what's 'fashionable' in editorials with a jumping Caroline Trentini and designers are having to cater to that crowd....the celebrity crowd...ughh...*shudders*


Sorry for the Wintour rant, but I truly believe she plays a very large part in the issue.

All that being said...I really don't think fashion is THAT boring. Well, maybe I think that because the designers I deem boring (most of the NY/ London/ Milan fashion crowd) I don't even pay attention to. Instead, I worship Galliano, McQueen, Gaultier and am delighted beyond believe when these guys are their true selves, much like Galliano and Gaultier were this past season.

__________________
"DIOR, NOT WAR!"

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 04-04-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Status: Online
 
Reply With Quote
04-04-2007
  195
V.I.P.
 
gius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 10,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245
The firing of Anna Wintour will change a lot, I believe.


Last edited by gius; 04-04-2007 at 09:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boring, fashion, ideas, run
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.