How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-09-2005
arndom

I am waiting for Paris:-)

20-09-2005
tfs star

Am I the first girl to respond, then?

I agree that there is a lot of talent as Faustus says. But I've also been feeling that fashion is losing its mystique... Perhaps the internet age is making the exchange of visual information so fast-paced, over-exposing fashion and spreading it thin. So many different trends and ideas are marketed so vastly, one after another. We need time, space, and quiet to produce any good art---and then more time, space, and quiet to appreciate it. Maybe fashion is becoming too fast paced to allow for that...?

20-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
...Fashion now is what pop music has become in the 80's - everyone and their dog seems to want to be a designer....if you just find your vein and concentrate on it - fashion is amazing.
Why does faust always have the most intelligent comment to offer?

Anyway, I'll have to agree. Fashion is escapism, and that is a different matter for everyone.
Some like season-old borcade and circle skirts. Others can appreciate fashion for the good stuff.
I have to ask this though. Has there always been so little soul in mainstream fashion?

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
20-09-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande
Am I the first girl to respond, then?

I agree that there is a lot of talent as Faustus says. But I've also been feeling that fashion is losing its mystique... Perhaps the internet age is making the exchange of visual information so fast-paced, over-exposing fashion and spreading it thin. So many different trends and ideas are marketed so vastly, one after another. We need time, space, and quiet to produce any good art---and then more time, space, and quiet to appreciate it. Maybe fashion is becoming too fast paced to allow for that...?
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Everything is super-available, super-quick. There is no mystique, nothing is non-attainable. Everyone has a piece of "designer" something or other - bag, coat, tee shirt, jeans. There are countless fashion magazines, going over the same trends, using the same key pieces, the same superbrands. There are myriad websites, so you can catch a view of everything as soon as it comes off the catwalk, and you can catch a view of things that you can't even buy, but which you never-the-less become aware of. You can SEE everything - you don't have to FIND anything. It's all there on a plate. Take it or leave it. Fashion as ready-meal.

20-09-2005
Swim Upstream

Johnny contrary to your view I find fashion more exciting because its more accessible....I can see things I couldn't even imagine before. I don't find it boring at all (well except NYC fashion week ) - I find it as inspiring as I did when I was 14 and first caught the bug. Admittedly I don't like the same kind of fashion now but thats how ones tastes evolve & mature surely...? I am not sure I find mystique interesting per se.....its beauty that i find interesting. And beauty is still there.

20-09-2005
arndom

Not just info is spreading, or trends are changing fast. The houses switch seasons. Now you can buy Tshirts from CdG H+ SS06. Polyester jkts for AW05 were sold in summer... Not only Comme does it, of course.

But to know is not the same as to experience:-) Most of the time you have to wear the stuffs, or talk to ppl who create them to understand. This is still v.fascinating.

I don't complain about the "mistery is gone". It easier now to see when the king is naked:-D Fashion is going closer to you and it is more about individualistic style. Of course, if you care:-)

20-09-2005
trendsetter

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...aquHm4,00.html

please see above article.

IN ORDER FOR FASHION TO CHANGE AND INTEGRITY BE RESTORED TO IT THERE MUST BE A NUMBER OF THINGS BE ADDRESSED

(1) There needs to be some kind of regulation (like they have in paris for couture) as to who is qualified to be a designer/have a design business.

(2) stronger laws need to be created to protect designers against copyist/knockoff artists.

(3) everything cannot be so expensive for the desgners to stay in business

PR. $5000/month
showroom. $300-500/month+10-15% commission on all sales

patterns ,fabric, samples,venue, hair, makeup,models, shoes,backstage, imaging, casting and the list can go on and on. in a single season you can easily spend $50,000 on a small show and you have'nt yet made a single sale (so you have to sell enough clothes to have $50,000 in profit for you to break even
my question is.... how many independent designers can do this, when the stores who have money to spend would rather watch for three or four seasons before they decide to consider buying the collection. (by then you are already about $300,000 in loses and is already bankrupt or on the verge of bankrupsy with little or no money to produce a collection when the stores do buy..)

(4) there needs to be a new kind of fashion school, especially in america. One of the things i come to realize is that the schools are tailoring thier curriculum according to the needs of the bigger companies in the industry (i.e. if there is a shortage of illustrators in the industry the schools shift thier focus to creating strong illustration graduates.) there needs to be a school that focuses on teaching ppl how to think like designers, how to succeed in business for themselves, and how to develop an original idea into really great clothing without copying someone else.

(5) designers who are going into business now must develop a new business model for the 21st century, the old ready-to-wear models of the 70's and 80's have become obsolete and anyone who enters the business now using that model is almost sure of failure.

(6) there must be a fair system of coverage and support for the most talented designers. i see a lot of unskilled untalented ppl getting huge amount of press and support while a lot of really creative designers that i know are constantly ignored and overlooked. when this happens ,, indeed it does make fashion seem boring

there are a lot more things i would like to say but maybe i will post them another time.

20-09-2005
backstage pass

I think in this day and age, everyone wants something quick. And back in the day, people thought computers will make life easier. Time would be more abundant and less paper will be used, we all know that the opposite is true. It's all about speed nowadays, no? That's why couture is dying and for the off the rack stuff it seems people just want to buy logo'd crap ala Christian Dior...

It takes time and education to know what's good or not, but for most people it's all about the brand and what trend is hip or what some whore "celebrity" is wearing.

So yes in that sense fashion is boring and crappy.

However if you look towards the work of designers as mentioned by Faust...fashion will always be exciting. Personally I'm always interested in what the japanese will pull off. CdG and Undercover always seem to be doing something different each season and it's amazing sometimes how they are able to define clothing.

Makes me wonder all the time and I'm always desperately waiting for the next season even if the previous collection was turtle poo, no one's perfect.

elementary.

ok . i'm too tired to explain my personal opinion & justify it
but i totally disagree

elementary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I was so excited to see what Shelley Fox did this season because it was just a break away from all the monotony that's happening...she was the first this season who truly had the balls to present a really creative,really intuitive collection and not have that nonsense playing a factor in her work.
me too !

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamb
(2) stronger laws need to be created to protect designers against copyist/knockoff artists.
Strongly disagree. You can read my argument here

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27266

BTW, Pastry - thank you I think it's because my work brings no intellectual gratification.

Last edited by faust; 20-09-2005 at 12:35 PM.
20-09-2005
arndom

Is it a rule that everybody needs to spend 50K to sell a collection? McQueen started with much less money:-P

20-09-2005
backstage pass

I agree fashion has become somewhat boring and it seems like this is happening because fashion is becoming more accessible and mainstream...now this could be a good thing but instead people are using this new knowledge to become label obsessed. So many people think fashion is about buying a YSL logoed t-shirt. The majority of people don't seem to care about quality, fit, or originality. For most people (at least here in the states) fashion is more of a status symbol like "paris hilton wears Dior and I do too therefore I am well dressed and into fashion." It seems to me that to many people fashion is nothing more than a logo. However a good thing is that the market seems to be more varied and with more options so less focus is on trends and more focus is on developing your own personal style and wearing what you like.

20-09-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Hasn't it always been?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamb
(5) designers who are going into business now must develop a new business model for the 21st century, the old ready-to-wear models of the 70's and 80's have become obsolete and anyone who enters the business now using that model is almost sure of failure.
This is something I believe in as well.

(though I don't agree that all designers should be registered as in couture because rules are so easily corrupted)

I think the idea of a fashion show, fashion weeks, and bi-yearly collections are outmoded convention.

Bi yearly collections:
Stores want new things every week - it gives their customers a reason to come in more often.
Ergo - fashion is fleeting because Fashion Is Boring. The fact that we get sick of our things and "want something new" gives fashion a reason to exist. The worst thing about fashion week is having to wait for months for it to come again. As fashion people we are always bored with the project we just worked on. I'm always asking "what's next?"

Fashion shows cost tons and tons of money and are fleeting - a years worth of work leads up to fifteen minutes for the designer? Only a few people get to see the show and the rest of us have to look of static, flash-card style pics?
Photo shoots are 100X better than fashion shows. Far less people to co-ordinate, more creative, more expressive, and more available to smaller designers.
I'm interested in Oscar De La Renta's trunk shows as a more engaging kind of "show". Rather than experiencing the show through the intermediary media the customers get to meet with the designer personally, actually touch and try on the clothing, and have a pleasant experience rather than the hyped-up circus fashion week has become. It's supposed to be about clothes, remember? This is another option for a small designer who wants to make certain, select people aware of (and inspired by) the story behind the clothes.

Certainly it is not all bad. And I look forward to fashion weeks every year and enjoy and learn from the good and the bad. It isn't boring at all!

Just some ideas.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boring, fashion, ideas, run