How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalfashion
I also grew up stifled and put down in a small Canadian town. Don't stop. Just keep confusing them. Don't count on being understood or appreciated.

I never took my head out of the closet. But I had to get myself out of that small town to be happy in my own skin.
I completely understand where you guys are comming from, I live about 45minutes outside Vancouver and while I aboslutely love being in the city, just outside of it ABOSLUTELY NO ONE knows how to dress. I live in a bit of a wealthy little beachy town, and the girls look like simpson sister knockoffs, its just wrong.

Also I just want to resate that YES there is exciting fashion out there, but with all the terrible designer wannabes, its just getting harder to find.

22-09-2005
Push it to pop it!

I don't know what to think about designers selling out.... It is hard to believe, however, that galliano would make such a drastic change after all of those years. Why is more simple bad again?

I think fashion is as exciting as ever- For some of us- all we have are pictures, too many pictures. If we were exposed to fashion in real life, it would never get dull, I'm sure.

22-09-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FemmeFeline
These kinds of people don't care AT ALL about fit or quality or even the originality ( or lack thereof ) of the piece.... It drives me insane to see people abandon quality and great tailoring and originality for something that is trendy and fashionable in a false sense of the word.
I'm not sure you really mean that...it comes across as rather elitist...I know it can be sad to see ubiquitous trends. But what about people who want but cannot afford "fit, quality, originality,quality, great tailoring"? Or those who just ooze "fit, quality, originality,quality, great tailoring" and still look awful? The problem is not bad quality clothes. It takes a certain kind of education--not necessarily formal-- and cultural environment to value originality and art and critical thinking...which only very,very few people have in this world, rich or poor.

Which brings us to the idea of editors and celebrities ruining fashion: when in history, in which community have things NOT been ruled by those with the loudest mouths, the most power? The greedy, the frightened, and the unthinking masses just follow suit. It's always the bravest intellectuals and truly original creators who are on the margins. Why would the fashion world be any different?...sigh...

22-09-2005
scenester

The whole universal is evolving, so is fashion.

It's not boring, every season i see new things, new technique, new fabrication, new designers. Totally respect the creativity and originality of thought. I'm always looking forward for every season collections.

It's always fun to look at TFS, all the remarks, criticism, observation, gossip and explaination. Don't you just adored fashion.

I EMBRACE FASHION NOW AND FOREVER !!!

22-09-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny
I haven't a clue what you're on about in most of that post, maybe I'm missing something. In fact, I think you certainly cannot separate the fashion industry form the designers; I think quite the opposite. What I'm saying and what I think is that fashion as a whole is less interesting than it used to be, at least for me, because of oversaturation and overavailability. There are obviously elements of it that I like - in other words, the two or three designers that interest me - but that doesn't mean that, on the whole, the industry is not dull. It is. When we talk about fashion we must be talking about the whole industry not just the bits of it we like, otherwise you can't have a discussion, since everything can be reduced to the subjective. And on the whole, I don't like it as much as I used. I don't still have the same bug as I did when in fact I couldn't really afford it. Democratisation of fashion is over-rated. It results in countless fat wee girls on the high street wearing Joss Stone-a-like outfits with peasant skirts and thick brown belts with jeweled buckles.

I think you have that "haven't a clue" thing right. I'd ignore the insults and answer in good faith, not just to you or Ghost, but also to others I respect. First, don't bitch that everyone is a pretentious attention-seeking twit. We all post anonymously, and earn NOTHING from participation. I prefer to receive due attention in person myself, IRL.

Secondly, kindly point out *when* I have opined that fashion industry is separate from the designers. In fact, I will take it one step further from your position and observe that the end buyers, the market, i.e. US, are also part of the equation, because without US the market, the fashion industry cannot survive, so we can also dictate terms back to them.

It's a full circle Fashion Industry,Designers-Fashion Elite/Media, Market, back to Fashion Industry

The part that we can influence is the Market - it used to be a centralised system, and the Market accepts what is prescribed from the top down to them. With the internet, the way we view and judge fashion is different and diffused.

It means that all of us who participate in these alternative fashion information structures need to go back to the basics of reminding ourselves what matters in fashion for us, imagination, creativity, thrills, and to use these as criteria to share views about fashon, and not just listen to the Vogue editors. It means that through us, the fringe designers that don't buy ads can have a way to reach a wider audience, and maybe force the big media to pay them due attention. But first, we need to be transformed ourselves, to make the effort to wean ourselves from the sheep-like mentality of following blindly the brands and the bling-bling.

I am merely cutting through the pessimism and cynicism to remind everyone why they first care about fashion, and that they can make it personal, and make a difference and create some ripples through the industry.

Web blogs and internet news have challenged the traditional stranglehold network news and major newspapers have on information and shaping opinion, for better or for worse. The TFS and other alternative fashion (not just the internet but indie shows, smaller magazines, etc.) structures can do the same, and transform the market, hence transforming the industry, no matter how limited at the moment.

Anyway, I've said my two cents.

PS. to others, won't be posting for a long time, off on a long vacation. Hope to see some cool threads when I get back. Stay true.

Last edited by Zazie; 22-09-2005 at 02:42 AM.
22-09-2005
etre soi-meme

i havent followed this topic (yet) but i'd like to ask all participating to avoid tension when replying at tFS threads.

kindly state your opinions and leave 'emotional reactions' out of this,
we are just discussing fashion, lets do this in style
grazie

22-09-2005
tfs star

Zazie, I appreciate your passion and inspiration. Thanks, and have a great vacation!

22-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Her latest acquisition - "this is Yohji" - is a white shirt with a densely pleated plume sewn to the front. The decorative shirt, though it looks papery and fragile, is a triumph of geometry and tailoring. Exquisitely fine origami comes to mind. Its price in Yohji Yamamoto's Tokyo boutique is 100,200 yen ($A1200).

F*CK, I wanted to buy that shirt so badly for Mrs. Faust, but I just couldn't afford it, even at 60% off . Why does Yohji have to be so expensive! Well, at least I had the right idea about a collector's piece

Thanks for the article, nqth!

22-09-2005
backstage pass

true say... fashion now is boring compared to the past three yrs.... before the clothes were more sexier and edgier b/c of the brazillian invasion.

22-09-2005
scenester

i feel like we are sort of at a standstill - politically, economically, socially - things look kind of bleak and unsure. fashion is reflecting that right now.. lots of black (with twists of course), demure, etc - fashion has resorted to waht is safe - thats how people are feeling right now.

because fashion is a reflection of these things, it seems natural to me that it feels 'boring' right now - but of course will be 'revived' or take a turn for the worse depending on our political, economic, social climate

22-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn
i feel like we are sort of at a standstill - politically, economically, socially - things look kind of bleak and unsure. fashion is reflecting that right now.. lots of black (with twists of course), demure, etc - fashion has resorted to waht is safe - thats how people are feeling right now.

because fashion is a reflection of these things, it seems natural to me that it feels 'boring' right now - but of course will be 'revived' or take a turn for the worse depending on our political, economic, social climate
i can't understand when someone speaks in such generalities. can you elaborate?

22-09-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
i can't understand when someone speaks in such generalities. can you elaborate?
i can elaborate on what i meant... although the reply was meant to be somewhat general

for me at least, the future appears more uncertain than ever. signs that we are heading towards a deeper recession, oil prices surging, increasing catastrophes, etc. in the midst of this, the mood of fashion appears to follow the same path. covered up looks, return of neutral colors, the return to classic looks that have held appeal over time... it's a safe route - safe in preparation for what may lie ahead - during the interim until we feel more confident which direction things are heading (for better or for worse), then we will likely see an obvious shift in fashion. plus there's the possibility that people are just overly bombarded by fashion's changing trends (changing faster than ever before) and presence everywhere now (hence the boredom). it's hard to go into more detail than that b/c for every rule there are exceptions of course- and i veered off course a bit. but in general... that's how i see it. hope that makes sense

22-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn
i can elaborate on what i meant... although the reply was meant to be somewhat general

for me at least, the future appears more uncertain than ever. signs that we are heading towards a deeper recession, oil prices surging, increasing catastrophes, etc. in the midst of this, the mood of fashion appears to follow the same path. covered up looks, return of neutral colors, the return to classic looks that have held appeal over time... it's a safe route - safe in preparation for what may lie ahead - during the interim until we feel more confident which direction things are heading (for better or for worse), then we will likely see an obvious shift in fashion. plus there's the possibility that people are just overly bombarded by fashion's changing trends (changing faster than ever before) and presence everywhere now (hence the boredom). it's hard to go into more detail than that b/c for every rule there are exceptions of course- and i veered off course a bit. but in general... that's how i see it. hope that makes sense

It makes sense, although I have to say that I see an entirely different picture. First off, and I know it's a matter of subjective opinion, I think that the parallels between fashion and politics are GREATLY exaggerated. I think fashion media blows it up trying to give substance to where there isn't much. But, even if I take the view that it does, I see a completely opposite relationship today. Black is JUST coming back this season. Black was proclaimed dead when minimalism was proclaimed dead, and that was at the beginning of this Century. All I've seen mostly are happy-happy-la-la-land clothes, shallow moods, and ZERO price resistance despite drastic price increases coupled with worsening of political and economic conditions. It's not Yohji Yamamoto and Helmut Lang that have been hailed as most influential designers lately (hell, Helmut is out of business, and so is his black clothing), it's Galliano and Gualtier.

Maybe we are looking at very different scenarios, taking in only a part of the big picture?

22-09-2005
scenester

yes...i think so, because i can see what you are saying as well...

a bit ot from the fashion 'industry' but:

the one unboring thing that i personally like about today's fashion is the increasing push towards DIY and constant mixing. I love that more and more people are incorporating their own individual touches to things and experimenting with more than one look at a time

24-09-2005
V.I.P.

here's a good article relevant to this discussion called --The Cage of Aesthetic Convention

http://www.core77.com/reactor/opinion_05.03.asp

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boring, fashion, ideas, run