How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-03-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande
Wait a sec...people are talking about different things here. Zazie and others are discussing clothes as a form of expression, others are discussing the fashion *industry*.

I agree with you, Zazie, totally. I just think the fashion **industry** is, like Faust says, in a sort of tiresome bubble. For better or for worse, it will eventually burst, hopefully leaving the best to survive, and then we will move forward.

For inspiration, I no longer look at magazines or even most boutiques except the really interesting ones, and focus on things that really move me: music, art, literature, nature. Fashion comes from within---not the market.
I think you nailed it right on the head. The fashion industry is becoming homogenous and monotonous and the bubble needs to be burst. Like anything else, the only way fashion is going to evolve is with new technology. I believe that if new things become developed (i.e. new type of fabrics) new things in fashion will develop that old technologies could not produce. It's only a matter of time. As well as, we need to take risks not the designers themselves but as well as the people who wear them. True style comes from with in not mimicking what the fashion media tells us to.

21-03-2007
fashion insider

I do not think you should grumble about that, fashion is a tedious topic on its own. It is just one or the other. Example: jeans + trousers, taper + flare, short + long hems, solid + prints, neon + pastels...... It is merely some recycled rubbish, a competition for uglyness, meant to become worse as time goes by. Fashion is also a reflection of life, it will eventually change when the society and human finally changes again. Thus, that does not usually happen too rapidly, season after season.

unknown
21-03-2007
windowshopping

I agree with Zamb and J'aime la mode. Is it just me or has fashion become pop cultures new whore? Every scene kid wants to be a designer... Even with all that said I dont think fashion has now become more boring you just have to know where to look.

21-03-2007
fashion icon

^yes...i think so too.

there are plenty of great designers out there that can really do some change to the clothes/fashion. but i think it also has a alot to do with the mass market and how most average joes and janes think. well..most of them dont want to wear anything too 'out there' or 'in there'. not enough people are taking risks...and being in a city like toronto is really wearing me down...im desperatly trying to get out of here.
i find that alot of the better quality magazines are doing their best to steer away from the very uniformed, mainstream look. but of course..alot of the mainstream fashion magazines still give the same old crap issue after issue.

i wonder when will we be seeing those vegan fibre fabrics on paris runway i saw it on fashion television that it can minmick silk, but wont turn out dry like nylon or rayon.

21-03-2007
Bel
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazie
Fashion can NEVER be boring, my dears...it's the people who are becoming boring themselves, if they don't make the effort at being creative, experimental, expressive...
Agree. If you thing the stuff in stores is boring, make it yourself, find unknown stores and designers--blaming it on others is just lazy.

21-03-2007
Of a bastard line.

Yes! Fashion, as a classification, in itself is never boring to re-use Zazie, as long as we don't reduce it to general forms! Extract creative intensities or energies, not as abstract essence, but as event! If you find it boring, then it's not for you! No problem, then it's not your thing. Move on, take up another interest, take up pottery class or something! But for god sake keep moving! ...

21-03-2007
Looking Up

Like Saint Laurent said, style is eternal but fashion fades. Its only a matter of time before clothing gets boring to us, wether its now or later. But the style that we have in doing everyday things is eternal.

21-03-2007
trendsetter

i actually agree that fashion lately is boring...

i find myself reading my vogues & w magazines from 2004
(now that was a strong fashion year)

Wanderlust

I agree. Fashion is boring me so much lately. There's no charged vibe! The best most recent years definitely have to be SS 2004, FW 2003, and SS 2001. Where's the vibrancy?

21-03-2007
fashion insider

I disagree. Fashion is always boring for those who cant afford it, or fit into the sizes, for those that can, there is always something fresh and exciting to buy.

21-03-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakk
I disagree. Fashion is always boring for those who cant afford it, or fit into the sizes, for those that can, there is always something fresh and exciting to buy.
that's not true, I might fit into it but I certainly CANNOT afford it.. and it's never been boring...

my contribution here is brief, in the words of my much-hated shirley manson :p : you're not looking hard enough.. simple as that.

Stitch:the Hand

^haha!

i think we need some kind of distinction though,is fashion boring or is the form of creation and actual style? in the words of ninette murk(sort of a mantra to go by)fashion=fascism,style=originality.

and i don't believe that tripe,crakk. sorry,but i don't ascribe to that kind of thinking. i can't fit into everything nor can i afford everything either,but it certainly doesn't bar me from desiring anything...

Last edited by Scott; 21-03-2007 at 10:13 PM.
21-03-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakk
...I really don't think that the size of the person has anything to do with it...

That's really not the nicest way of thinking about it.

Last edited by ilaughead; 21-03-2007 at 10:16 PM.
21-03-2007
fashion insider

Well i cant afford every Givenchy trench coat or Dior Homme cuban heel, im just saying, a lot of people are turned off to things they cannot be a part of, in terms of fashion cannot afford/ fit; weight and financial state can be valid reasons as to why one finds fashion boring. Things are cut so slim nowadays, and pieces are overly expensive, i understand the boredom, but i dont agree. LOL!

Last edited by Crakk; 21-03-2007 at 10:26 PM.
21-03-2007
Stitch:the Hand

^it can also inspire one to try their own things in their own style too. just remember that.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boring, fashion, ideas, run