How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-06-2014
Power to the 99%

^ For sure it makes a difference to be a woman, I have no doubt of that ... but being a bit conscious is important too. Some male designers are really positive too, and great observers and fans of women (like the one I've quoted). The ones I'm not too crazy about are the ones with a preconceived idea of how a woman should look and dress who create that mold that literally no one else can fit into. (But I can think of at least one female designer like that too.)

17-06-2014
V.I.P.

^ True fashionista-ta. I am sure it's not exclusive to one gender or another. But being women there has to be some kind of keener understanding of female bodies/comfort/desires, etc.

-----------------------------------------------

On another topic, but again a charged an interesting one, and perhaps one that's tangentially related to the points discussed in relation to Rhianna's CFDA dress, there's been quite a bit of discussion of implementing dress codes in public schools recently. Today I read something from the New York Times. Here's a quote:

Quote:
More than that, taking on the right to bare arms (and legs, and cleavage and midriffs) as a feminist rallying cry seems suspiciously Orwellian. Fashions catering to girls emphasize body consciousness at the youngest ages — Gap offers “skinny jeans” for toddlers, Target hawks bikinis for infants. Good luck finding anything but those itty-bitty shorts for your 12-year-old. So even as I object to the policing of girls’ sexuality, I’m concerned about the incessant drumbeat of self-objectification: the pressure young women face to view their bodies as the objects of others’ desires.

That last bit really signifies a conundrum for women, dress, and feminism.

Here's the link to the entire article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/op...088400000&_r=3

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 17-06-2014 at 06:08 PM.
28-06-2014
rising star

That article makes a good point. I think the author is right when they say that insisting on modest dressing and promoting the imperative of sexy dressing are both sides of the same coin, that coin being objectification and sexualisation of women.

28-06-2014
Power to the 99%

^ Thank you, you said it much better than the article did. That makes sense to me!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, feminism