Fashion for Lesbians? The new market ..... - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
22-03-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by paprika_hiccup@Mar 23rd, 2004 - 12:26 am
I actually think that this statement has alot to do with what I was trying to say about what see in lesbian fashion. It's about not dressing for "the man" (or the machine that is the fashion industry ).
of course thats what makes lesbian market so hard to get 'marketed' its a big headache for the fashion analysts , really pisses them off that they cannot pinpoint the niche (not to say about losing those hot lesbian money )

22-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by Episternum@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 6:27 pm
I'm curious about your opinion, 'cause I can be a little thick. How do you see it?
it's not about playing a role-masculine or feminine...when you are confident you can just be...whatever that may be...usually it's something in the middle because all people have both a masculine and feminine aspect to themselves...

22-03-2004
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally posted by Episternum@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 6:27 pm
I'm curious about your opinion, 'cause I can be a little thick. How do you see it?
Quote:
A woman secure and confident in her sexuality and appearance is neither totally butch, nor totally frilly and femme

I think that confidence in one's "sexuality and appearence" is a very powerful tool for an individual to possess. You asked-
Quote:
What does confidence in your sexuality have to do with how butch/femme you may or may not dress?
I think that is has alot to do with it, when one is not watching the runways or glossies to see if "fem is in" this season or if "high, stached collars" are the new black , more of your own individuality comes into play with the clothes and accessories you chose to wear. And yeeeaaa for that!

22-03-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejandro+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:01 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alejandro @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:01 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Acid@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 1:34 pm
i can understand with gay men can be feminine, cause they wanna be like their diva idols...
That is so not true Sean...not true at all [/b][/quote]
hahahaaaa diva hahahaaaa
who said all gay men liked cher or stevie?

and don't be offended but butch dikes scare me, they scare me even more when they kiss. they've never been nice to me. on the other hand lipstick dikes are awesome.

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by mode_addict+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 11:55 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mode_addict @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 11:55 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Alejandro@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:01 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Acid
Quote:
@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 1:34 pm
i can understand with gay men can be feminine, cause they wanna be like their diva idols...

That is so not true Sean...not true at all
hahahaaaa diva hahahaaaa
who said all gay men liked cher or stevie?

and don't be offended but butch dikes scare me, they scare me even more when they kiss. they've never been nice to me. on the other hand lipstick dikes are awesome. [/b][/quote]
yah...okay...

23-03-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Well, what about a butch straight chick? 'Cause I think I might be one of those...

I'm mechanically inclined, do my own D.I.Y., rarely wear makeup, I'm brash, frequently crude, and if you've been to the Pictures thread, you can see I am not in the least bit traditionally pretty. I walk with big strides, swing my arms freely, and kind of roll from side to side (why yes, I do believe that is called a swagger!) I like rock-n-roll, science-fiction movies, and alternative comic books. I cuss--a lot. I dress solely for myself--if my husband happens to like my outfit, that's just a bonus.

I think it's daft to say "lesbians are more sensual and wholly female" or imply that straight women lack some kind of confidence or are not exotic enough. Who you shag is not the sole determiner of who you are and what you are like.

I think this article is one of those that attempts to create a trend or manufacture a buzzword. It just tries too hard to make something up out of nothing. I've got to say, all of the lesbians I have known have dressed much the same as any other women I know..jeans and tee-shirts (okay, some of the tee-shirts had rainbows, smartass LBGT slogans, or were light purple) when bumming around at home, suits and Office Casual at work, sundresses when it is really hot, ect. Granted, I do live deep in the Midwest, and most people don't dress that crazy, gay or straight.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Spacemiu@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 10:11 pm
I'm sos ick of thsi lesbian/ bi sexual girl trend.

People will captilise on whatever they can, its all bullsh*t
Totally in agreement with Spacemiu - What a load of doodoo!

23-03-2004
rising star

Hmm. I personally don't think that wearing tight-and-frilly or jack boots-and-overalls is really a good indicator of sexual confidence, and that being somewhere in the middle also doesn't indicate diddly. A person could be an emotional wreck and having a lot of doubts about herself or could be a dynamo, but the way they dress, at least from my experience, is more situationally-determined than a sign of sexual confidence. Of course, I see lots of exceptions (Saturday night on Sixth Street is a flesh parade), but for the most part the people I see dress like their friends. Discussions are fun!

23-03-2004
kit
tfs star

The article is a load of pretentious RUBBISH !!!!

If we are talking a style that is ' totally by a woman for women , full stop ' , could I mention JIL SANDER's clothes that have an essential ' sexual neutrality ' that possibly could be taken as ' lesbian style ' , if such an elusive concept could be made manifest in a way of dressing ?

Just an idea .

KIT

23-03-2004
Soviet Camaro

I couldn't make it through the article, found it to be very poorly written and meandering as others have said.

I think Spacemiu summed it up nicely!

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

I think its just a way that people describe a certain fashion. Minimal female fashion may be reffered to a lesbian fashion like someone mentioned jil sanders fashion whereas flamboyant men's fashion may also go the other way...thats my opinion

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:24 pm
do we have any lesbians at tfs?...it would be great to get that kind of perspective on this...
Right here- I had no idea this thread would have went on for so long. There are lesbians who are into fashion. Everyday more and more lesbians choose to dress how they like- and not conform to the 'butch' standard. (Although butches aren't going anywhere...there are always women- straight or gay who don't feel comfortable in a dress).

It's a fact that everyday it will get harder to label others by how they dress. I am sure that designers would like to break into a 'lesbian market'. Will it mean loads of more dollars for them? I doubt it. Even though the community is so small- we are very different from each other.

24-03-2004
etre soi-meme

i absolutely agree with onehotgrrl
and yes, the market wants the lesbian money, cause there are quite a lot of those 'untargeted' lesbian women out there.. big companies are out to get them and the harder it seems, the most it makes the market interested...
they see this as somekind of ...'challenge'

as a fashion consultant, i need to follow rising fashion trends and developements for proffesional reasons, well, suprise-surprise, wwd is dedicating a quite huge, three-part research 'targeting the gay and lesbian market'.. there should be some reason right?
as i said before in this thread, fashion industry finds lesbians are much more hard to pin point (for commercial or other reasons) than the average gay man.
lesbians are less 'obvious' much more those of the 'young generation' so if they are hard to define how in the world one can have a 'fashion' point on them?

my personal view on this:
generalisations linking fashion styles with sexual behavour, make me mad.

segmentation of social groups according to their class, race or sexual prefferences,
is all wrong. I dont think there is somekind of 'special' lesbian fashion.
Lesbians and gays are like everybody else, -see: diverse fashion choices-
i hope they always stay this way.

the old stereotype of the butch/femme lesbian is becoming a thing of the past,
the rise of 'lipstick lesbianism' proved old statifications of
'what a lesbian looks like' wrong.

gays and lesbians are like everybody else guys,
sexual prefference does not nessecarily dictate what we were ,
much more in the 21rst century

long gone the days of the 'screaming queens' or the 'butch dykes'

24-03-2004
kit
tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 24th, 2004 - 3:36 am
i absolutely agree with onehotgrrl
and yes, the market wants the lesbian money, cause there are quite a lot of those 'untargeted' lesbian women out there.. big companies are out to get them and the harder it seems, the most it makes the market interested...
they see this as somekind of ...'challenge'

as a fashion consultant, i need to follow rising fashion trends and developements for proffesional reasons, well, suprise-surprise, wwd is dedicating a quite huge, three-part research 'targeting the gay and lesbian market'.. there should be some reason right?
as i said before in this thread, fashion industry finds lesbians are much more hard to pin point (for commercial or other reasons) than the average gay man.
lesbians are less 'obvious' much more those of the 'young generation' so if they are hard to define how in the world one can have a 'fashion' point on them?

my personal view on this:

segmentation of social groups according to their class, race or sexual prefferences,
is all wrong. I dont think there is somekind of 'special' lesbian fashion.
Lesbians and gays are like everybody else, -see: diverse fashion choices-
i hope they always stay this way.

the old stereotype of the butch/femme lesbian is becoming a thing of the past,
the rise of 'lipstick lesbianism' proved old statifications of
'what a lesbian looks like' wrong.

gays and lesbians are like everybody else guys,
sexual prefference does not nessecarily dictate what we were ,
much more in the 21rst century

long gone the days of the 'screaming queens' or the 'butch dykes'
LENA

speaks ABSOLUTE sense again .

I remember an article in a newspaper , when ARMANI did lots of trouser suits ( when did he ever NOT do so ) which were shown on models with slicked back hair .

The writer talked about ' lesbian chic ' and mentioned that as a lesbian , she did not have the choice of dress that her ' hetero ' friends had .

She said the designers who catered for this ' market ' , apart from Armani , were CALVIN KLEIN , HELMUT LANG and JIL SANDER .

I thought I could see what she was getting at , as these designers have a minimalistic style that encompasses both the feminine and the faintly masculine .

Perhaps this is the secret .

BUT can the ' lesbian market ' afford the ' high - end ' prices of such designers ?

Perhaps WWD will enlighten us .

I cannot wait to go into dear old Marks and Sparks , to be confronted by a ' Lesbian ' section , next to ' Autograph ' and ' Per Una ' !!!!!!!

KIT

24-03-2004
El CapitŠn

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Mar 24th, 2004 - 3:36 am
ditto

and forget the article, i'm more shocked by some of the generalizations coming from fellow fashionspotters

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, lesbians, market