How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-12-2005
trendsetter

i guess Stella McCartney is leading the way with animal ethics, by using no animal products. (lets not start a big fur debate) but when designers like Vivienne Westwood, Todd Oldham, Marc Bouwer and others turn there backs on fur, it definately carries an ethical and humane message.

and to me that is important, because when i spend my money it is in line with the truth of who i am, and what i care about.

04-12-2005
trendsetter

i love miss McCartney as a person but i find her stance against fur and leather usage very illogical.
her company is in part owned by a company (Gucci Group) that is one of the greatest users of fur and leather in thier Business. I personally am not against the usage of fur and/or leather but i do believe there should be a limit to how it is aobtained how much of it is used and for what purpose
I also do not believe that ethics in fashion should be relegated to a discussion solely about the usage of animal fur or leather in my estimation there is a myriad of other subjects that should be brought to the table in this discussion.
i shall name a few
what about a company like american apparel which promotes itself as a company free of sweatshop production and pays its employees good wages, but at the same time is using sexually graphic images to advertise its products that are largely geared toward a young (often teenage customer).
Its founder and CEO also being sued by former employees for sexually inappropriate conduct.

what about the subject of racism in high fashion of which miss Oprah Winfrey was a victim in Paris at the Hermes flagship, and to which there is a constant marginalisation of black designers to the point where i am leaning to believe that there may need to be a kind of "affirmative action" for blacks working in the fashion industry.

what about the constant abuse and victimization that is enthrusted upon young models by its established players at the hope of becoming successful in the industry

what about the subject of blatant dishonesty and lying for the sake of creating an image that is very untrue, solely for the purpose of being successful

there are many more that i could mention but i believe this should give the reader a General Idea

04-12-2005
V.I.P.

first things first..thanks tott for rasing this question because i't been killing me for a long time now.

yes, damn it! fashion can be ethical. you know it's all about the bottom line in business. profitabilty, bankruptcy..but how much money do you need? after all, jobs are to make a living with a few luxuries for most of us. Prada and Gucci should be no different (well, maybe a little)

think about it, doesn't this all fall back on money? i think the real question is: how much money do "they" want? are these companies mentally unwell?

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
04-12-2005
windowshopping

What goes around comes around
Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
Do we really care?
I DO!!
I think as consumers we should be fully aware
of what we buy and who/how these were made by.

Wouldn't it make you feel so much better if
your favourite clothes weren't made from
cheap/child labourers or from animals treated under unfair conditions?!

Designers out there are (hopefully) clever enough that
cutting out unethical procedures won't cut out their brain cells
responsible for creating beautiful garments.

I think that these aspects separate the ones who really
LOVE & CARE about clothing from the ones who just say they do.

I mean, do we really want fashion to be that shallow???

Last edited by *Mei*; 04-12-2005 at 07:35 PM.
04-12-2005
fashion icon

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...responsibility

this is a related thread, maybe a merger?

04-12-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

ty mutterlein...threads have been merged...

05-12-2005
trendsetter

Hi softgrey, how are you, been a while.

05-12-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

hi zamb....
hope you're well......

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ethical, fashion, questions, responsibility