How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-04-2005
crossed wires.

I agree, it's hard not to be influenced by the media regardless of how strong a mind you have, especially having interest in the fashion industry it's impossible not to be bombarded by the media. Therefore it does become confusing as to which are your original thoughts, and which have been drilled into you by the media

26-04-2005
rising star

Hmm, I think it is difficult for women to get free from these role images projected on them. When they would try to look extra anti-sexy, then they would still let their clothing be determined by this.

There are also certain images for males, but they don't seem to be so strong. I've never felt like an object for sex and/or sell use. I never had any worries concerning clothing and sexyness. I'm trying to dress interesting both for feeling better and more confident and to attract women (but only the ones that may really like me, not every women).

I wonder why advertising and music videos etc. with "attractive babes" still continues or why there aren't shown equal numbers of men shown in something considered as a sexually attractive pose when half of the consumers are women now. Perhaps because the majority of managers is still male (and narrow minded)? Or is the average female more immune to this than the average male, so it would be of no use for selling? I don't know.

But I would love to see this kind of advertising and all stupid hip hop videos to be banned, don't need this.

26-04-2005
rising star

Some more from a male:
Due to my unusal body size for a male I often look in the womens section for clothing. Just for a basic t-shirt, pullover, or maybe even some narrow-cut trousers or a simple jacket (without darts). Everytime I'm there I ask myself: Oh my god, what would I do if I were a woman and just want to buy something "normal"? There are heaps of clothes, but so many things have some special features on it, that are supposed to be necessary on womens clothing, but which I just find ridiculous, even when worn by a woman.

Last edited by ajott; 26-04-2005 at 05:30 PM.
26-04-2005
backstage pass

I was really young when I first had to think about what to wear to avoid sexual advances and comments from men. I was about 12 and was shocked that middle-aged men would say those things to a kid. It now makes me realise why all the teenybopper pop stars are marketed in the vulgar way they are. Very sad.

I didn't dress in any way provocatively growing up, so I shudder to think what kids now who wear crop tops with thongs showing must go through.

I think women have to develop a real 'couldn't give a f**k' attitude' in order to cope with how men react to what they wear. It can be hard just getting about London in a knee-length, long sleeved dress sometimes!! so I often wonder how the bottle blonde/big boobed/miniskirted women cope just going about day to day I couldn't imagine craving that kind of attention, nor being able to cope with it.

26-04-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena
Why do you wear the clothes you wear?

Interested to hear views here.... I was interested (and a bit outraged) to read John Galliano's 'motivation' when he designs (i.e he wants to design clothes for women that make men want to f**k them). It led me to consider three things

one, what do women really want when they wear clothes (and do they really want to attract those men who just want to f**k them); I certainly do not - heaven forbid!

secondly, is it 'good' for women to be viewed by designers (not just JG) purely as objects of sexual desire - I kind of always thought, perhaps niavely, that designers were 'on our side' in the context of gender politics ; and

thirdly, what is sexy anyway? Surely not all men are constantly sex hungry....Is Galliano not insulting other men by this suggestion?

I know that this whole topic is subject to the usual 'eye of the beholder' caveat, and I know that Dior/Galliano are marketing to a particular woman but he is surely alienating a huge nuber of women with comments like that. Arguably, Tom Ford has tried to market his 'sexy' brand Gucci as stronger & more powerful without the same objectification that JG seems to propose, but does he really acheive a better result for us women (take the 'G' in the pubic hair - i mean it was pure tackiness dressed up with a slick ad)? mmmmm What about Versace/Cavalli???

What do you think?
I havent read the all thread, but all I have to say is that Galliano is out of the track. Maybe he is a great designer and all but if this is really his motivation, well that makes him a really bad designer. When you design cloths, you must design them FOR the people that wear them, not for the others (like men). Some artists are a bit excentric but this guy is really out of it and it is really insulting for the women who wear his cloths.
I dont think women are sexual objects, way from there.
Women are the must beautiful thing the world got right now!

Personnaly, as a man, what I wear is for me for the most part. I would lie if I'd say that it is ONLY for me. I dress well for the 1st inpression at first. And I dress well also to have a good image. It is my vision, but first of all, I wear designer clothing cuz I feel good in these and I feel good when I think I'm well dress. I'm maybe a bit Impuslive/compulsive but heh! its my personnality. I will never judge somebody's way of dressing, never.

26-04-2005
V.I.P.

i don't think galliano designs for this reasons. although his aesthetic is vastly different from most designers i like...his insanely brillant runway creations are not for women to buy. i think he has a pretty good take on the whole thing...fashion is absurd to a degree, i don't think it's a male/ female thing. i think it is like satire...i think his s/s 2005 collection was particuarly feel good and empowering.

26-04-2005
front row

Why do I pick the clothes I wear? It's certainly not to be objectified. I choose the clothes I choose because I want it to show outwardly what I am inwardly. I want it to be an extension of myself. I don't want it to be an awkward inconvenience. Fashion should be natural to a person, not forced.

I can't explain it any other way.

<3 Me.

I'm game to play along.

26-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

travolta...
sorry to say that galliano actually 'said' that this is the motivation behind his designs...it was this quote of his in another thread that was the motivation for helena to start this thread......

it seems galliano has a very narrow view of what women want...

26-04-2005
rising star

I'm really happy someone started a thread like this. First of all John Galliano is simply a male pig, if you will, just acting like an ***. That is degrading to women and just perceives women as mens sex slaves and just a lustful object for the more significant male to conquer. Women are not conquered. It should not be that way. Although, we all know the women who do dress to make men want to do exactly what Galliano said.... ughhh.

It just makes me feel like women have pushed so hard for equal rights, and still are seen as sex object. FYI I am by no means some women- loveing male hating feminist!

I simply wear what I feel comfortable in from day to day, but sometimes I do want to get all dressed up, and of course, getting some looks isn't the worst thing in this world...

27-04-2005
front row

First I want to say that being a guy I can't really put relative input on the Galliano comment on designing clothes for woman to apeal to men. But a few months I used some YSL photos for posters and someone got mad at me saying that I shouldn't put people who are so glamourous on them becasue it turns people away from the show. However, I feel that fashion is sexy in its nature, Galliano went a bit too far in saying that he designs for that reason specifically, but the sexual undertones are everywhere in fashion. Another important factor is knowing what to wear and how wear it, just becasue you wear Galliano dosen't make you sexy.

27-04-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfermegz
I'm really happy someone started a thread like this. First of all John Galliano is simply a male pig, if you will, just acting like an ***. That is degrading to women and just perceives women as mens sex slaves and just a lustful object for the more significant male to conquer. Women are not conquered. It should not be that way. Although, we all know the women who do dress to make men want to do exactly what Galliano said.... ughhh.

It just makes me feel like women have pushed so hard for equal rights, and still are seen as sex object. FYI I am by no means some women- loveing male hating feminist!

I simply wear what I feel comfortable in from day to day, but sometimes I do want to get all dressed up, and of course, getting some looks isn't the worst thing in this world...
Okie Surfermegz let me ask you something...What do you see so degrading, to women, in Galliano's motivation to his designs???...It is just a drive, a sort of goal he wants 2 achieve when he designs all those fabulous creations...Just because of the fact that his muse is a little outrageous doesn't mean that is all he is...He only wants women to be able arouse men when the latter sees his creation on flesh...He is trying to epitomise the power of seduction in his own works of art...And besides, i don't see why people tend to see sex as such a taboo when it is one influential aspect of fashion...

Surfermegz, no offence, but don't you think you are being a chauvinist when you say that women are still struggling to achieve equal rights...Take rape as an example...I am sure that the bottom line is, only when you put yourself in danger that you are on the chopping block...Doesn't it mean that liberty for women is the power to be able to do things they like to do...And with that power comes great risks as well...Facing and coping with all that will just be part and parcel of being liberated...

Seriously,.. i am not being insensitive(for starters being gay solidifies the fact that i am not insensitive)...rather just judgemental...IT IS TRUE THAT FASHION IS NOT ALL ABOUT SEX...BUT SEX PLAYS A GREAT ROLE IN FASHION...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Surfermegz, no offence, but don't you think you are being a chauvinist when you say that women are still struggling to achieve equal rights...Take rape as an example...I am sure that the bottom line is, only when you put yourself in danger that you are on the chopping block...Doesn't it mean that liberty for women is the power to be able to do things they like to do...And with that power comes great risks as well...Facing and coping with all that will just be part and parcel of being liberated..
I really don't follow what you are saying. Are you saying that women are only raped if they are irresponsible? I only wish this was true as it would certainly lower the number of rapes. I feel very strongly that women still have not received equal rights. How can this be when women still feel worried walking the street at night? How can it be when the majority of childcare is still done by women? There is still such a long way to go to achieve equality.

27-04-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harivain
Surfermegz, no offence, but don't you think you are being a chauvinist when you say that women are still struggling to achieve equal rights...Take rape as an example...I am sure that the bottom line is, only when you put yourself in danger that you are on the chopping block...Doesn't it mean that liberty for women is the power to be able to do things they like to do...And with that power comes great risks as well...Facing and coping with all that will just be part and parcel of being liberated...

Seriously,.. i am not being insensitive(for starters being gay solidifies the fact that i am not insensitive)...rather just judgemental...IT IS TRUE THAT FASHION IS NOT ALL ABOUT SEX...BUT SEX PLAYS A GREAT ROLE IN FASHION...
My oh my. I'm not sure what's more absurd - for you to sugest that only women who put themselves in danger get raped or that you can't be insensitive if you're gay! The latter is simply amusing while the former is simply seriously offensive. Is that what you really think?

27-04-2005
rising star

Harivain- First off, where are you going with the rape deal? I'm lost and in totally accord with what cosmocat said. It's not men who are worried about walking home alone at night is it? If you even were implying that women put themselves in the situation to be raped... umm... I don't want to have to go there.

Secondly, I never said his work is not amazing. Never. I merely stated that I did not agree with his choice of wording and it was giving women off to be weak and sex symbols and that is all. Just because a woman wants to dress sexy, doesn't mean a man has to think she will want him to f*** her.

What is your point about being gay... whats that have to do with being or not being insensitive??

27-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by harivain
I am sure that the bottom line is, only when you put yourself in danger that you are on the chopping block...

Pardon me, what did you just say? Are you implying that women provoke to be raped? You honestly must be kidding or perhaps you're just a complete idiot losing a sense for reality.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion or sex or politics