How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

oh dear...
let's keep it cool everyone...
please do not resort to name-calling...and eyerolling...
we can disagree in a civilized manner...

regarding harivain's post-
i will not quote it as i don't think we have to keep re-reading such offensive tripe...
i think johnny put it best...
being gay does not preclude one from being insensitive...that doesn't even make sense...but being a man in general might make it more difficult to understand what women go through...

the idea that someone could think that 'women are asking for it'...it such an old and outdated way of thinking...and just proves that women have not acheived equal status...if a child is raped...does anyone assume that it was their own fault for being so damn cute?!?!...or for getting in the car with the stranger??...absurd right?!?!....so harivain actually proved for himself just how flawed and incorrect his statement is...

the fact that we could even be having this discussion is exactly why statements like the one made by john galliano are so dangerous...after all these decades and all the accomplishments that women have achieved...men still want to reduce them to 'sex objects' and nothing more...being sexy is fantastic...sure...why not?!?...but it is such a small part of who we are...

**anyway...there's another insensitive gay guy for ya right there!!...boo galliano!!!...

Last edited by softgrey; 27-04-2005 at 02:24 PM.

27-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
oh dear...
let's keep it cool everyone...
we can disagree in a civilized manner...

regarding harivain's post-
i will not quote it as i don't think we have to keep re-reading such offensive tripe...
i think johnny put it best...
being gay does not preclude one from being insensitive...that doesn't even make sense...but being a man in general might make it more difficult to understand what women go through...

the idea that someone could think that 'women are asking for it'...it such an old and outdated way of thinking...and just proves that women have not acheived equal status...if a child is raped...does anyone assume that it was their own fault for being so damn cute?!?!...or for getting in the car with the stranger??...absurd right?!?!....so harivain actually proved for himself just how flawed and incorrect his statement is...

the fact that we could even be having this discussion is exactly why statements like the one made by john galliano are so dangerous...after all these decades and all the accomplishments that women have achieved...men still want to reduce them to 'sex objects' and nothing more...being sexy is fantastic...sure...why not?!?...but it is such a small part of who we are...

**anyway...there's another insensitive gay guy for ya right there!!...boo galliano!!!...

Agreed. I was keeping cool... but a bit annoyed.... but im good now!

27-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

way to go surfermegz...

27-04-2005
trendsetter

I can't believe what I'm reading, people can't seriously think that way. Do you think that someone actually wants to get raped? Actually I'm not even mad but just laughing at what you said because it's so backward and just ridiculous! None of my guy friends are like that at all, maybe here in Finland it's different. The only reason men want to see women as sex objects is so they won't be intimidated by them. That's why they pay for women if they go to the movies or for dinner- so they can feel like the providers.
But the bottom line is that I think women have the right to be sexy and dress sexy if they want to. I think there are lots of other designers who feels the same way as Galliano, just Galliano phrased it in such a way which alerted people. Other designers would just say that they design for women who want to look sexy or use some other euphemism so that it wouldn't sound as harsh... Take Dsquared for example- what do their fashion shows say about how they feel about women...

27-04-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey

It's quite challenging to stay civilized after the preceeding statement about rape. I'll try harder next time

27-04-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Whoah, I missed this party

Interestingly, it's estimated that almost as many male rapes might in prison as women are raped outside of prison. Either we live in a culture which thinks a man can't be raped or we live in one which thinks that prisoners deserve it. Peculiar.

Quote:
Take Dsquared for example- what do their fashion shows say about how they feel about women...
I haven't studied Dsquared but the impression that I get from past Gucci collections is that Tom Ford is petrified of breasts.

flaunt the imperfection

thanks vlad...

good points ellah...there are definitely a certain 'group' of designers who share this attitude towards women...galliano is certainly not the only one...tom ford was also like this...thankfully...we got rid of him...!!...

it does seem like some designers have begun to move away from this...
ie-alber elbaz for lanvin or consuelo castiglioni for marni and phoebe philo for chloe...
and judging by their popularity....it seems like there are many women who are tired of being squeezed into sexy little tube dresses ...haha!!...

because that's the real power...if women don't buy those types of clothes...the demand goes down...and things begin to change...
witness alexander mcqueen...and how his designs have loosened up in order to sell more...

the days of 'drag queen style' are over...!!...
there's definitley a trend towards a more natural and subtle sexuality happening on the streets...

Last edited by softgrey; 27-04-2005 at 04:51 PM.
27-04-2005
V.I.P.

sex being shoved in our faces will come around again in a new form...and it won't seem as literal as what happened in the 90s. i don't know..maybe we'll be walking around in transparent mumus?? you can look but you can't touch all the while being ulta comfortable...kinda like haltson without the glimmering pant suits. fashion will still be selling sex...just not as obviously

27-04-2005
front row

I agreed with haregaiv [?] on how Galliano may not be a pig, his muse may be just different. Everyone has a certain motivation, and his is clearly different from most peoples view on this board. He isn't designing collectsion made out of pieces of string and genital parts hanging out. Perhaps he just didn't explain his idea clearly enough. I find his clothes beautiful and sexual at the same time.

IF you think about it, maybe he's just helping women who don't know how to flaunt their sexual side through his clothing.

But I did find the rape thing insensitive. A guy friend once told me that girls are raped because they provoked someone to do so. I was furious. A woman should be allowed to dress as she pleases without men harassing her. We didn't walk 2 steps forward only to be pushed 5 steps back to dress conservatively only so we won't get raped. We should be allowed to dress as we please and still be respected.

<3 Me.

I'm game to play along.

27-04-2005
windowshopping

First of all let me apologise if 'MY' point of view offended anyone...
Second of all sorry to say that i DON'T AT ALL agree with the notion that women get raped because they ALLOW themselves to be...(did not expect to be ridiculed when i expressed my thoughts). Maybe i should have rephrased my sentences...
Now, what I felt was that the number of rape nowadays seem to be increasing because women are more free know and mostly the unnsuspecting, naive ones who apparently do not know how to use this liberty properly are those who are usually pinned down...And yes, maybe women have not yet reached full equal rights from men as yet...So insensitive of me to say that they already have (oh yea gays are not necessarily sensitive...but I was-at least that was what Ithought.)
Yes, also, i am not a woman and never will be one, so i don't know how it is like being one...
Thank you all for your timely critism...

rising star

No one was criticizing you. Just as you shared your different opinion we shared ours.

27-04-2005
V.I.P.

Getting back to the original galliano quote... I wouldn't want to f*ck this:

27-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection

aahhhhhaaaaa...!!!.......faust!!....

27-04-2005
V.I.P.

what about just the bottom half? or bottom 1/4?

Last edited by travolta; 27-04-2005 at 11:21 PM.
28-04-2005
rising star

Ahhh hahaha! Good pic! :p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion or sex or politics