How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-05-2005
front row

Anyone here from Discovery Channel wanna talk advances?

(I was kinda thinking SciFi channel. At least not a DIY show on HGTV)

15-05-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery
meme527 and cbcb: you two should get together and script a Discovery channel thing on this - you seem to get to the root of some of the problems directly!
sounds good to me!

15-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolta
faust, do you know anything about the marine biological laboratory or the national biological laboratory?
no, but I know about eroding biodiversity through genetical engineering.

15-05-2005
windowshopping

Actually this all will probably happen within our time. Right now they have a crude version of optical camoflage like right out of predator. They also have pigmy goats right now with spider genes that produce the silk in their milk which then can be processed into one of the toughest threads ever, stronger then metal, which is mostly being developed for military and police industries. Eventualy all this will trickle down from specialized industies to the rich, and then the rest of us which is the same thing that happened to the Hummer and now the middle class got the watered down version H2. The thing is that all this techno fashion will only be a segment of Fashion like athletic wear is now since not everyone will embrace or desire this. It will be interesting but may end up being just a bust and a fad in the same way that Hypercolor was in the 90's but on a larger scale. It is typical with humanity that when there is an unlimited access we quickly get bored and even depressed with the overall situation. We as people actually prosper within visible limitations since there seems to be a strong feeling of comfort in having them. Not to say that limits shouldn't be challenged, it's just that when there are no boundry lines we quickly become disoriented and sink into an abyss. We realize that this is more fancy decoration but where is the soul in it. I think what will prosper out the other side of mere cute ideas is clothes that have more of a medical point and actually help heal and protect the body from diseases. This has been currently worked with by some designers and should continue to become more realized as time goes on. I'm sure we'll also see this more with different segments of the work force like mailmen, stockbrokers, and such where their clothes are designed with intergrated technology to help accomplish whatever desired task. I think what will be more of a future sticky issue is when we all can have body cameras filming every moment in our life. There are very strong pros and cons on both side of this and there will be numerous legal ramifications. The genesis of this is with the podcasting that is the "new thing" with the geeks of the world. What it all comes down to is that our world is going to mirror more the computer metaphor for society. So instead of us operating in industrialized fashion where the material item is the end goal, "in the future" software will be more valued over hardware. There is paper right now that acts like a black & white video screen but buying one of these won't be the end of print media. It just shifts the emphasis over to content, actually websites and especially the blogs are already doing this, so you'll pay more for data than actual object. This will be the same with the clothes since you'll still have to buy the designer image/patterns, and the information will be the industry. These will be some interesting times.

15-05-2005
fashion insider

The only thing I want in the future is for my sun glasses and watches to be anti-scratch...

16-05-2005
windowshopping

Maybe as they futher develope transparent ceramics and metal you'll get your wish. Here are some pics of the opti-flage in its infancy.

Now as I said this is crude, done with projectors, but it is only a matter of time till the outfit has the abillity to scan its surrounding and is a self-supporting system.

16-05-2005
V.I.P.

^ That's nuts.

18-05-2005
front row

Apparently style's selective for survival!

Stegosaur Plates And Spikes For Looks Only, Researchers Say

The bizarre plates and spikes that lined the backbones of the long-extinct stegosaurs were probably extreme examples of the often elaborate and colorful displays developed by animals to recognize fellow members of their species...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0517112628.htm

Last edited by cbcb; 18-05-2005 at 12:19 AM.
18-05-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Apparently style's selective for survival!
cbcb, have you heard of sexual selection?:
"...male courtship extragances reflect the innate tastes of females without abandoning the idea that those tastes are of use to the females in that they select the best genes for the next generation. A peacock's tail is, simultaneously, a testament to naturally selected female preferences for eyelike objects, a runaway product of despotic fashion among peahens, and a hadicap that reveals its possessor's condition."(Ridley 1993: 167, The Red Queen)
the (basic) idea being that females (peahens, in this case) select males based on traits that only the most fit for mating will possess (wide shoulders, flashy cars), and so female sexual selection is one of the driving forces behind evolution.

gotta love that idea!!!

meme

18-05-2005
front row

Meme,

Was vaguely aware of the peacock-strutting phenomenon but hadn't pegged a term to it. The ways in which modern humans exhibit similar is a marvel, isn't it?

Forgive me for this, but a friend forwarded this stupid little story that for some reason made me laugh:
An old man was sitting on a bench at the mall. A young man walked up to the bench and sat down. He had spiked hair in all different colors. Green, Red, Orange, Blue, and Yellow. The old man just stared and stared.

Every time the young man looked, the old man was staring. The young man finally said sarcastically, "What's the matter old timer, never done anything wild in your life?"

Without batting an eye, the old man replied, "Got drunk once and had $ex with a peacock. I was wondering if you were my son."

18-05-2005
front row

Article about the future of clothing:
http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/001555.html

Excerpt:

"...We may soon be in a world where wearable computers don't just show up on the cover of Wired, but also on the cover of Vogue...

Bruce Sterling wrote a brief essay for cyber-counterculture magazine Mondo 2000 entitled Computer As Furoshiki, which described a computing device in the form of a meter-square piece of cloth. Solar-powered, the fabric could serve as a display, was touch-sensitive, and could even fold itself with embedded artificial muscles fibers."

18-05-2005
front row

... And there are already implants in clinical trials that create tans (by raising melanin), so how long until someone manipulates all that to provide colors other than tan? (To someone who for whatever reason might wanna be blue, or tie-dye?)

EpiTan (the tanning-implant folks): http://www.epitan.com.au/irm/Company...aspx?CPID=1127

Excerpt: "EpiTan Limited today announced the release of final results of its Phase I/II dose escalation study (EP004)...The planned length of the trial was extended as a consequence of unexpected efficacy experienced in the first two cohorts when given MELANOTAN™ in sustained release implants. The trial was suspended for five months pending the receipt of new smaller implants containing a lower dose of the drug...."

18-05-2005
backstage pass

i'd love to be certain shades of blue and purple....

18-05-2005
V.I.P.

how about glo in the dark?

18-05-2005
backstage pass

only my hair!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, future