How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikingFashion View Post
I disagree again. You generalize the women and men body into one stereotype. Even though there are many women who have volumpcious body, nice curves, big cleavage and booty, there are also women who are either too tall, have wide shoulders (Liv Tyler), small boobs or no hips...
It’s basic gaussian distribution, of cause. Nevertheless males are adapted to protect the family and hunt and women to bear children (some morphological and anatomical features derive from that), that’s evolution.

Quote:
so i think saying menswear would look ridiculous on women is taken too far. yes, on some feminine women it might not look good, but on some women it might look amazing, even better that womenswear clothes or evening gowns...
I didn’t say always… there is a higher chance that it will look odd/wrong or even ridiculous.

Quote:
Also men do not have the same type of the body...
Of cause we are all different, that is why I prefer MTM/bespoke over RTW.

Quote:
if u consider regular winter quilted jacket in neutral color it can be worn by both men and women...
but are they elegant?

Quote:
the shoulders fit ok and sleeves are long enough:
well shoulders are improvable, most likely he can only wear it unbuttoned because of his chest/throat dimensions

Quote:
Secondly, the judgment of colors and combination or individual pieces as an outfit is very individual due to individual's taste in fashion... Even though, i dont share ur opinion, i respect it... but it cannot be used as a valid argument
That is why I said personal opinion, how you judge clothing is always a personal point of view… I have nothing against hippies or their inspired style. It’s the kanyeification of the outfit I was criticizing (incorporate Mr T) show skin + bling bling jewellery = me don’t like = looks ridiculous (for me)

27-04-2011
windowshopping

I believe so. As designers look for the next new look, lines start to blur, "le smoking suit" is an excellent example. I've always thought clothing has become what we made it. Because we categorize it that way, it has become so. Social expectations play big roles in what we wear. Men wearing garments with cowls, women wearing herringbone. If you dont label it, then there is no expectation.

"cause these things will change, Can you feel it now? these walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down. Its a revolution." (taylor swift)

rising star

Yeah, I think people are going to wear whatever they want to wear. As long as we have the rights and freedoms to do so, we're going to do it. The sort-of rules society has made about self image and all that--those lines are going to fade, as long as we keep up this you-can-do-anything spirit. I think people aren't caring as much what people think really, and since the newer generation (including me) is being brought up this way, I'm pretty sure the future holds whatever we want it to hold. And I'm pretty sure it won't have many strict rules about what you can and can't wear. As long as it looks good, feels good, and doesn't rise an uproar of objections from the people who run this world, it's allowed.

fashion insider

It certainly works if it's done well, but I don't think that means it's "the future". Floral prints and pencil skirts will not die out simply because more masculine options are available to women. The thing about the current era we live in is that we have more clothing and style options than any the eras before us. We are less restricted in that sense and people are generally more willing to take fashion risks. There will be people who choose to dress in gender-neutral clothing, but I don't believe that will encompass the vast majority of people.

I'd also like to bring up that an item of clothing does not necissarily become gender-neutral just because there is an example of someone out there of the opposite gender wearing it. A man wearing a flowy Elie Saab gown does not make that gown gender-neutral.

oh! darling

Quote:
A man wearing a flowy Elie Saab gown does not make that gown gender-neutral.
There was a male who wore high heels with his outfit. He pulled them off nicely, but that does not make the high-heel gender-neutral.

Is it safe to say that clothes will eventually become androgynous? Is it synonymous with gender-neutral?

Looking Up

For something to become "gender-neutral" it's not just a matter of a guy grabbing a skirt and wearing it out on the street. It's a matter of social acceptance, society and social boundaries will decide whether a skirt will eventually become gender neutral.

Last edited by MulletProof; 02-05-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: see pinned rules for this forum, please.
02-05-2011
V.I.P.

isnt the brand *the koobles* unisex? the label is not available in my country however i have seen ads for it in british vogue/british elle. their ads feature couples wearing the same item.

does anyone know anything about how the brand is selling?

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
isnt the brand *the koobles* unisex? the label is not available in my country however i have seen ads for it in british vogue/british elle. their ads feature couples wearing the same item.

does anyone know anything about how the brand is selling?
Yes the Kooples is unisex, I have yet to buy anything from them but in the merchandising in store is blurred with no distinct 'men's' or 'women's' section despite also stocking heels etc. They're everywhere in Paris and in Selfridges they're actually located on the men's floor, from the looks of things it's very popular.

I would like to see more gender-neutral fashions, I thought Kanye looked pretty good in Celine, and I'm a big fan of women in masculine attire.

V.I.P.

I think because (quoting "The Social Network") "fashion never ends", we can't surmise much from the current moment about the future. Fashion is always evolving, but always also metonymically touching back upon the past too. And as we know, fashion goes through phases when the demarcation between "gendered" clothing is very strong, and other phases where the line is more blurry (think of the dandies, Oscar Wilde, but rock bands in the 60s, too; or what about glam rock? or visual kei bands, etc.... or think of Marlene Dietrich in her suits or Coco in pants and sweaters, or Katherine Hepburn). Androgyny is not new or old. It's socio-cultural movements that shift with the sands of time, and those reflect in the ever shifting fashion world. To try to predict the future of fashion is, imo, like trying to catch a fly with chopsticks. Not easy.

08-05-2011
chaos reigns

Im up for the androgynous look on both boys and girls. Some of my fave fashion icons very much fit into that category (think Tilda Swinton and lately Andrej Pejic).

I do not know about if its the future but I think perception is changing .. yes, women can get away with everything and a guy on a skirt is still taboo but we are working towards it ..

On a more personal note ... Im a size 28 waist, whcih means 98% of the pants/bottoms I own come from womenswear collections .. and i borrow heavily from my girlfriends closets every chance I can .. I think the secret is just to do it one piece at a time and not go overkill if you are a guy

rising star

It already is happening more and more and I for one am most disappointed.

I crave the 30s - 60s feminine blouses and skirts. Here is to hoping we men folks dont go there, lets leave the skirts to the scots

09-05-2013
windowshopping

Are you guys familiar with the haute-couture designer Rad Hourani? He designs a unisex line and I, for one, discovered him recently:

http://www.radhourani.com/index

I find his craft quite remarkable.

08-08-2013
fashion insider

Women are allowed to have fun with anything. Men stopped doing the "womenswear" type thing...now its coming back around. I'm going to say it has something to do with androgynous men who exist in the media! Andrej is a great example!

08-08-2013
windowshopping

I think gender-neutral fashion is now, because a t-shirt is a t-shirt, a shirt is a shirt, trousers are trousers, a jacket is a jacket etc. There are very few items that are wholly gender-specific, as is the case with skirts, and I think that will always be the case. I along with many others I'm sure would happily wear (or have happily worn), for example, a women's shirt or jacket, regardless of if it was from the women's collection.

I'd really hate for the day to come where designers produce one unisex collection.

V.I.P.

Please see this thread ... we are taking nominations for brands in a category that relates to this topic: Nominations for the Honorary Award for Diversity for the 2013 "Tiffies"

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, future, genderneutral