How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-04-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild roses View Post
I find that statement ignorant and ridiculous. True, there are plenty of new money folks who truly have no notion of taste, ie the Kardashians. However, it was the new money movers and shakers that made many art movements acceptable while old money folks were turning up their noses and gagging: Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, Cubism, Fauvism, etc, etc.

Same goes for fashion. Babe Paley, Jackie O, and Grace Kelly didn't come from old money families. All of them came from families who only the previous generation had joined the respectable social registers. Yet, none of them are considered tasteless by any measure. It's also worth noting, all 3 did their OWN thing and didn't follow the fashion conventions of old money woman.

So, frankly, I'm not worried about the future of haute couture. And if the new tastemakers force the designers into "trivializing" new directions, that's fine by me too because that's the way change happens and art stays alive and refreshed.
It should be clear that 'new money' refers more to an attitude towards money than who your grandpapa was. It's a taste level that applies to those who know not how to be discreet with their wealth.
If, for one second, we leap over to the other very relevant thread, Haute Couture Clients, member Fontenrose posted a very intertesting article from reuters.com here.This is what I refer to when I worry about the direction Haute Couture may take.

Last edited by Crying Diamonds; 28-04-2012 at 05:11 AM.

29-04-2012
V.I.P.

That article states that the number of Haute Couture houses has doubled, from 6 to 12 in the last few years. So, I wondered who the current Haute Couture designers were and found this:

Source: Wikipedia
Quote:
Members of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture

For the Spring-Summer 2012 season the official list of members is:

Official members
Adeline André — Anne Valérie Hash — Atelier Gustavolins — Chanel — Christian Dior — Christophe Josse — Franck Sorbier — Givenchy — Jean Paul Gaultier — Maurizio Galante — Stéphane Rolland — Giambattista Valli

Correspondent members (foreign)
Azzedine Alaïa — Elie Saab — Giorgio Armani — Valentino — Versace — Sir Jason Twist (coming back in SS2012)

Guest members
Alexis Mabille — Alexandre Vauthier — Bouchra Jarrar — Iris Van Herpen — Julien Fournié — Maxime Simoens — Yiqing Yin (new in season SS2012)

Jewelry
Boucheron — Chanel Joaillerie — Chaumet — Dior Joaillerie — Van Cleef & Arpels

Accessories
Loulou de la Falaise — Massaro — On Aura Tout Vu

Last edited by BetteT; 02-05-2012 at 01:27 PM.
05-05-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
It should be clear that 'new money' refers more to an attitude towards money than who your grandpapa was. It's a taste level that applies to those who know not how to be discreet with their wealth.
We are both right. I was using one definition, you were using the other. Various dictionary definitions:

from urban dictionary:
Quote:
Someone who is rich but does not come from a weathly background or family history.
or
Quote:
people who have recently acquired money and feel the need to show it off by purchasing flashy houses, cars, clothing and jewelry. Generally tacky.
or
Quote:
A family that has just joined the upper class from a lower class, mostly middle.
or
Quote:
New Money is a term for people who made or earned their wealth on their own accord, they were not born into a wealthy family or grew up in wealthy culture. Sometimes used disparagingly by Old Money, in reference to the lack of refinement or sophistication of New Money people.
or, last but not least
Quote:
An individual who brings something different to the norm. Usually with regards to business. A revoulutionary business person. Ceases to stagnate

From wiki:
Quote:
The nouveau riche (French for "new rich", pronounced [nu.vo ʁiʃ]), or new money, comprise those who have acquired considerable wealth within their own generation.[1] The term is generally used to emphasize that the individual was previously part of a lower socioeconomic rank, and that such wealth has provided the means for the acquisition of goods or luxuries that were previously unobtainable. The term can also be used in a derogatory fashion, for the purposes of social class distinction: Here, "nouveau riche" describes persons with newfound wealth as being vulgar, in lacking the experience or value system to utilize wealth in the same manner as those of "old money" (persons whose families have been wealthy for multiple generations).
from google basic search:

Quote:
People who have recently acquired wealth, typically those perceived as ostentatious or lacking in good taste

But I still stick to my claim. For every Kim Kardashian, there's going to be a Gertrude Stein or Jackie O.

Last edited by wild roses; 05-05-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
couture, haute, legs