How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-09-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Has Fashion eaten itself?
Well, most definitely.

Cannibalism is the post-modern condition!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

04-09-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
Just curious... Why do you say that? There are some pieces in the collection that are identical to some Yves did in the 60's and 70's.

You can like or not... I don't really like it, but that's one thing, and saying he disregards the heritage of Yves is another one.
I could see that in his first collection, I think. The one they used Anja Rubik for but then it went to Slimmanisque... I don't dislike him... And I like his 'boring' photography but I think he doesn't suit the brand. Saint Lauren was always about elegance whether it was minimalism or something else. When I look at his collections I can see very little of that! It's so dark and dull. I just find him EXTREMELY one dimensional and we could all agree that Yves was anything but that :-)

04-09-2013
Soviet Camaro

^, ^^

Auto-cannibalism is the post-modern condition, and vulgarity is the new elegance!

Is Slimane's alleged departure from the heritage of YSL more heretical than Wang's work at Balenciaga?

05-09-2013
fashion insider

While I gradually came round to liking Pilati's designs, I hated his first couple of YSL collections, so perhaps I would like Slimane's too, if it starts to look LESS bohemian Rachel Zoe/grunge Courtne Love/pop Lady Gaga & MORE Parisienne in the cool Jane Birkin/boheme Loulou de la Falaise/fetish-androgyne Helmut Newton way.

I think Hedi Slimane is trying to tap into how Yves SL himself immersed in rock/bohemian culture for inspiration, but he seriously MISSED THE MARK because how can shallow LA denizens and fashion victims compare to the type of style icons Yves ran with?

I don't mind where he got his inspiration from as long as the results validate his choices, but they don't, for obvious reasons.

I just can't stand the kind of fashion people (eg.Skye Ferreira, Lady Gaga) he is inspired by. They don't have depth.

It's not so simple that YSL now looks like couture Zara, it's that it's simply not terribly interesting. I'd rather look at the designs of a smaller but much more up-to-date house.

Last edited by Zazie; 05-09-2013 at 10:37 AM.
05-09-2013
Power to the 99%

I noticed in an interview of Hedi that he mentioned a certain percentage (40%??) of the clothes in the grunge show were made in the atelier.

To me this begged the question ... where was the rest of it made?? Does anyone know the answer?

05-09-2013
backstage pass

^^^ I took that as 40% of the pieces got the couture treatment and were lavished upon, as well as of couture-quality, while the remainder were factory-made...

And it's precisely this attitude why I still appreciate his aesthetic design, despite not really wanting to wear them. Visually, there's a plaintive, and exquisite quality that's always identifiable about Hedi's direction: Some may call it redundant, but I like that he stays with it, even if the music-scene themes change from collection to collection. I like the slow evolution of his designs and approach: There's more thought to his designs than just fashion, even if I may not be fan of the current state he's leading the label in, I still understand and appreciate it.

So, I don't think Hedi's wrong for YSL. I liked Pilati, but Hedi's given more to the YSL identity in these few collections than Pilati ever did in his tenure with the house.

09-09-2013
flaunt the imperfection

whilst trying on a $2,000.00 blouse from Saint Laurent, a button popped off and went flying across the fitting room...

really?!

09-09-2013
Power to the 99%

I guess that wasn't one of the pieces made in the atelier.

10-09-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I noticed in an interview of Hedi that he mentioned a certain percentage (40%??) of the clothes in the grunge show were made in the atelier.
This also adds to the rumors of a couture revival. If these pieces are his idea of demi-couture, what would couture look like through his lens? I can only imagine what the little old ladies in the atelier were thinking as they were sewing sequins onto mullet hemmed baby doll dresses.

30-11-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco54 View Post
I hope to god eventually YSL will end up with Ghesquire the house deserves FAR FAR better
Disco54 I was hoping the same thing. I'm a huge Saint Laurent fan and I have followed his work since I was a child in the 70's. I guess we can stop hoping as Ghesquire is at Vuitton now since Marc Jacobs has left.

earthbound

what i liked about hedi before is that he seemed to create clothes with a very specific idea in mind, which made it super easy to recognize his designs. very crisp, streamlined pieces made for the "present".

while i do like a few pieces here and there in his latest collections for saint laurent, his inspirations are all over the place. i hate how he's jumping to a certain decade from one collection to the other. leave that task to marc jacobs!! i know he has the house's legacy to live up to, so of course, a few retro references have to be thrown here and there to show respect, but after you've changed the name and the whole brand's image, why not bring something new to the table? doesn't he have the power and liberty to do that?

we're only onto the third or fourth collection... and i believe he can do better. one thing for sure is that i'm always excited to see what he's going to do next, even if it's disastrous.

with all that being said, i think the accessories line is pretty strong. i'm glad they've introduced more androgynous options in their footwear (oxford shoes, lace up boots, chelsea boots). i've always thought the tributes were so gaudy so it's nice to see more minimalist and sleeker high heels taking over.

06-02-2014
flaunt the imperfection

he's doing a number of YSL knock offs as well as the silly grunge/hole crap...

those are the best bits, but it's not original...
which is ok if you're carrying on the history of the house...
but let's give credit where it's due and give it to YSL who did the originals and created the house...

for my money-
the accessories are the best bits...
they were excellent when pilati was there as well...
they are more my style now though...

its ALL crazy $$$ though...no matter what...
i was searching the internet the other day and came across some AMAZING vintage YSL pieces...
and i mean A-mazing!
capes and coats etc...
i think i would go for a vintage original before i would go for a pricey knock off...

but, that's me...
i always prefer an original to a knock off...

08-02-2014
rising star

I agree, the shoes and accessories are/look far better than the clothes.

07-03-2014
front row

THIS was the thread I've been meaning to post in but I couldn't find it!

Anyhow, like I've said, reinvention and refreshment can be very good for long-standing fashion houses/houses with lot's of history. Look at Frida Giannini and Gucci- when she took the reigns at Gucci, she changed it from a 12 year running supersexy glam brand to a rock n roll, luxury brand by adding her own spin AND going back to the old, old archives of the house. Look at Ghesquiere, he brought back the couture-like quality and silhouettes of the house and added his own rock n roll touch. And Galliano! He added his own elements of eccentricity AND stayed true to the signature silhouette and fabrics of Dior. All of these successful designers did a lot reinvention and refreshing, BUT they didn't completely strip away the house's DNA like Heidi has done.

10-03-2014
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersaceVixen009 View Post
THIS was the thread I've been meaning to post in but I couldn't find it!

Anyhow, like I've said, reinvention and refreshment can be very good for long-standing fashion houses/houses with lot's of history. Look at Frida Giannini and Gucci- when she took the reigns at Gucci, she changed it from a 12 year running supersexy glam brand to a rock n roll, luxury brand by adding her own spin AND going back to the old, old archives of the house. Look at Ghesquiere, he brought back the couture-like quality and silhouettes of the house and added his own rock n roll touch. And Galliano! He added his own elements of eccentricity AND stayed true to the signature silhouette and fabrics of Dior. All of these successful designers did a lot reinvention and refreshing, BUT they didn't completely strip away the house's DNA like Heidi has done.
Can't agree more and well said !
This no talent only has one note and he keeps banging it.

The thing is why does P. Berge allow this ? , granted he's no more an owner but surely he can say something !!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hedi, laurent, mistake, saint, slimane