How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-03-2014
scenester

I don't know if you have ever seen this documnetar about the creation of fall 2001 houte couture collection. It's called "Yves Saint Laurent 5 avenue Marceau 75116 Paris".
This shows very well in a single collection the vision of YSL himself for his house.

Hedi Slimane is not doing nothing that much. He's just creating some clothing pieces under the YSL name to obtain profits for the house and save his name. Since he's at the helm the house lost it's magical and "superb" moments and that's something inherent to Saint Laurent.
Maybe Slimane fits in another not in YSL, I think.

20-07-2014
backstage pass

If we base on the sale growth of the brand, he's doing good at the house.

http://www.cpp-luxury.com/kering-ppr...ivision-in-q1/

fashionbi.com/brands/saint-laurent/financials

But the creativity? I don't think so.

20-07-2014
Ère de ℳodernité

^I assume this growth is mostly due to the leathers goods (which are good imo) though...

rising star

I really do not feel that Hedi Slimane is the right person for hte house. For the life of me I cannot figure out why Pierre Berger things he is great for the house other than money. There is nothing remotely Saint Laurent about any of his collections. I've been a Yves Saint Laurent fan since I was a little kid and I just do not see it. I'm 46 now and It has been a long time of me watching his work and learning from it. I do not see any kind of echo of Saint Laurent in his collections.

backstage pass

I recently knew that Hedi was the creative director of YSL around 1997-2000 and people in this thread seems they like his works at that time a lot. I don't know why the time was short but i think that is one of the reasons why he's here, at SL.

20-07-2014
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy34 View Post
I really do not feel that Hedi Slimane is the right person for hte house. For the life of me I cannot figure out why Pierre Berger things he is great for the house other than money. There is nothing remotely Saint Laurent about any of his collections. I've been a Yves Saint Laurent fan since I was a little kid and I just do not see it. I'm 46 now and It has been a long time of me watching his work and learning from it. I do not see any kind of echo of Saint Laurent in his collections.
I really don't get this viewpoint. Wasn't the biggest criticism with his SS13 collection that it was too referential and classic Yves Saint Laurent? If anything, the issue is that he's stuck in the 70s idea of the brand, and is unwilling to move the brand foreword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koibito View Post
I recently knew that Hedi was the creative director of YSL around 1997-2000 and people in this thread seems they like his works at that time a lot. I don't know why the time was short but i think that is one of the reasons why he's here, at SL.
He left because he didn't want to be part of the Gucci group. I'd say it all worked out in the end for him, though

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hedi, laurent, mistake, saint, slimane