How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-07-2012
backstage pass

Magazine Sizes (The actual measurements)
As much as i love these two magazines, i cant help but feel a tad annoyed when i buy them by the actual size of the magazine. I think they are too small, and if they were say the size of french and british vogue, i think it would showcase the ad campaigns and editorials so much better. I know its only a small thing, but i was just wondering if this bothers anybody else when they purchase the magazine?

05-07-2012
V.I.P.

They are magazines - usually in a normal size as normal magazines to allow readers to read them in the most comfortable way. The size of VP and british vogue is almost identical to the ones you mentioned. If you want to see the ads buy Velvet, it's big, cheap and full of ads. Have you seen an Elle Italy in pocket size? you should.

05-07-2012
Some Like It Hot

It bugs me too! Even though it's only miniscule in comparison, it feels completely different to hold and can be awkward to read, US Vogue hasn't always been this size though, I don't know about Vogue Italia though.

But then again, the size of Interview bugs me, I think that's mainly down to the paper quality though, if the paper quality was a little better then I don't think it'd bother me so much.

I can understand however that ELLE UK does two sizes of Magazine, one as 'handbag size' and the other full size.

Another thing that annoys me... is when Harpers Bazaar super-size their issues for March and September, I think they've stopped doing it now, non ? but when they did they should of gave the consumer the choice, instead of having to settle, subscribers still got a normal sized issue, but newsstands didn't.

tfs star

I like the size of W but subscription issues are terrible to handle, especially the thinner issues. The edge of the pages near the spine always get rippled and it's so annoying to turn the pages without it creasing. The newsstand copies with a thick glossy cover usually don't have that problem.

05-07-2012
Power to the 99%

To me W is way too big ... but I do like the A4 or whatever it is that British magazines are printed on. The bigger size that Bazaar has used is nice ... but in general, the paper size is the very last thing that annoys me about a magazine. The content of US Vogue is the topic of my complaints 1-99 at least.

06-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
They are magazines - usually in a normal size as normal magazines to allow readers to read them in the most comfortable way. The size of VP and british vogue is almost identical to the ones you mentioned. If you want to see the ads buy Velvet, it's big, cheap and full of ads. Have you seen an Elle Italy in pocket size? you should.
Well actually there is some difference. If you look at the picture below, it is a classic example, as you can see the american vogue at the front is smaller compared to the british vogue underneath. Also the second image is my bookshelf and you can see the american vogues are next to the french vogues, and there is a size difference. I know its only a small problem, but i would be lying if it did not bug me when i buy the issues .

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
It bugs me too! Even though it's only miniscule in comparison, it feels completely different to hold and can be awkward to read, US Vogue hasn't always been this size though, I don't know about Vogue Italia though.

But then again, the size of Interview bugs me, I think that's mainly down to the paper quality though, if the paper quality was a little better then I don't think it'd bother me so much.

I can understand however that ELLE UK does two sizes of Magazine, one as 'handbag size' and the other full size.

Another thing that annoys me... is when Harpers Bazaar super-size their issues for March and September, I think they've stopped doing it now, non ? but when they did they should of gave the consumer the choice, instead of having to settle, subscribers still got a normal sized issue, but newsstands didn't.
Yeah I'm happy you agree with me. One thing that is an example that vogue us is just a little be too small is that i normally do collages of all my favourite ad campaigns on my room wall every season. Now people would say that American Vogue's September issue would be perfect for that, as there is so many ads in that issue. But i have never ripped any out from that issue as they are just to small and don't look as effective as when i rip the ads from like british vogue. I sound Ocd, but its the truth!

you soft and only

I don't think it's an American Vogue issue though, American magazines seem to be generally smaller than European fashion magazines.

06-07-2012
V.I.P.

I think it's an issue of money...W is bigger than all the other American fashion glossies, but it's price is $1 higher than them despite it being the thinnest of them all. My favorites would be Love and AnOther. Their size and paper quality is perfect because they look like collectible books, with their thick and glossy paper, and not mere magazines.

V.I.P.

Has anyone seen the latest MUSE edition on the newsstands, the one with Candice? Now it has the shape of Last Magazine, it's bigger and thinner. What a downgrade.

Quote:
I know its only a small problem, but i would be lying if it did not bug me when i buy the issues
Yes, okay but you have to take into perspective the normal consumer not the one that collects magazines like bibles at home. The normal consumer would care to read the articles and wouldn't take such a big importance at the editorials and ads because there's always the mag Book and such that have the clothes in detail.

06-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
I think it's an issue of money...W is bigger than all the other American fashion glossies, but it's price is $1 higher than them despite it being the thinnest of them all. My favorites would be Love and AnOther. Their size and paper quality is perfect because they look like collectible books, with their thick and glossy paper, and not mere magazines.
Yes i remember getting my first issue of Love and being impressed by the quality of the glossy pages. I think the best magazine for quality though is Self-Service, even though it costs a bit and you cant take it everywhere, but the quality of the paper is amazing and the hardback makes it feel a real collectable purchase.

don't look down

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I don't think it's an American Vogue issue though, American magazines seem to be generally smaller than European fashion magazines.
Aye, when it comes to paper in general, the US tends to use a different set of standard dimensions to most other countries.

When German Vogue reduced their size, the editor explained to readers that this was the simplest way of cutting costs without compromising on the content.

The physical aspect of magazines is something that people often don't give much thought to, but it can be fascinating, the composition of different types of paper, the workings of the printing presses and so on.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
actual, magazine, measurements, sizes