How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
05-07-2012
  1
backstage pass
 
Razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: England
Gender: homme
Posts: 526
Magazine Sizes (The actual measurements)
As much as i love these two magazines, i cant help but feel a tad annoyed when i buy them by the actual size of the magazine. I think they are too small, and if they were say the size of french and british vogue, i think it would showcase the ad campaigns and editorials so much better. I know its only a small thing, but i was just wondering if this bothers anybody else when they purchase the magazine?

__________________
http://clear-trash.tumblr.com/
  Reply With Quote
 
05-07-2012
  2
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sur la plage
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,418
They are magazines - usually in a normal size as normal magazines to allow readers to read them in the most comfortable way. The size of VP and british vogue is almost identical to the ones you mentioned. If you want to see the ads buy Velvet, it's big, cheap and full of ads. Have you seen an Elle Italy in pocket size? you should.

  Reply With Quote
05-07-2012
  3
Some Like It Hot
 
Chanelcouture09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Gender: homme
Posts: 9,738
It bugs me too! Even though it's only miniscule in comparison, it feels completely different to hold and can be awkward to read, US Vogue hasn't always been this size though, I don't know about Vogue Italia though.

But then again, the size of Interview bugs me, I think that's mainly down to the paper quality though, if the paper quality was a little better then I don't think it'd bother me so much.

I can understand however that ELLE UK does two sizes of Magazine, one as 'handbag size' and the other full size.

Another thing that annoys me... is when Harpers Bazaar super-size their issues for March and September, I think they've stopped doing it now, non ? but when they did they should of gave the consumer the choice, instead of having to settle, subscribers still got a normal sized issue, but newsstands didn't.

__________________
A few times in my life I've had moments of clarity where the silence drowns out the noise and I can feel rather than think. - Tom Ford
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2012
  4
tfs star
 
GivenchyHomme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,645
I like the size of W but subscription issues are terrible to handle, especially the thinner issues. The edge of the pages near the spine always get rippled and it's so annoying to turn the pages without it creasing. The newsstand copies with a thick glossy cover usually don't have that problem.

  Reply With Quote
05-07-2012
  5
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,513
To me W is way too big ... but I do like the A4 or whatever it is that British magazines are printed on. The bigger size that Bazaar has used is nice ... but in general, the paper size is the very last thing that annoys me about a magazine. The content of US Vogue is the topic of my complaints 1-99 at least.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
06-07-2012
  6
backstage pass
 
Razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: England
Gender: homme
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe View Post
They are magazines - usually in a normal size as normal magazines to allow readers to read them in the most comfortable way. The size of VP and british vogue is almost identical to the ones you mentioned. If you want to see the ads buy Velvet, it's big, cheap and full of ads. Have you seen an Elle Italy in pocket size? you should.
Well actually there is some difference. If you look at the picture below, it is a classic example, as you can see the american vogue at the front is smaller compared to the british vogue underneath. Also the second image is my bookshelf and you can see the american vogues are next to the french vogues, and there is a size difference. I know its only a small problem, but i would be lying if it did not bug me when i buy the issues .




__________________
http://clear-trash.tumblr.com/
  Reply With Quote
06-07-2012
  7
backstage pass
 
Razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: England
Gender: homme
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
It bugs me too! Even though it's only miniscule in comparison, it feels completely different to hold and can be awkward to read, US Vogue hasn't always been this size though, I don't know about Vogue Italia though.

But then again, the size of Interview bugs me, I think that's mainly down to the paper quality though, if the paper quality was a little better then I don't think it'd bother me so much.

I can understand however that ELLE UK does two sizes of Magazine, one as 'handbag size' and the other full size.

Another thing that annoys me... is when Harpers Bazaar super-size their issues for March and September, I think they've stopped doing it now, non ? but when they did they should of gave the consumer the choice, instead of having to settle, subscribers still got a normal sized issue, but newsstands didn't.
Yeah I'm happy you agree with me. One thing that is an example that vogue us is just a little be too small is that i normally do collages of all my favourite ad campaigns on my room wall every season. Now people would say that American Vogue's September issue would be perfect for that, as there is so many ads in that issue. But i have never ripped any out from that issue as they are just to small and don't look as effective as when i rip the ads from like british vogue. I sound Ocd, but its the truth!

__________________
http://clear-trash.tumblr.com/
  Reply With Quote
06-07-2012
  8
you soft and only
 
blueorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,550
I don't think it's an American Vogue issue though, American magazines seem to be generally smaller than European fashion magazines.

  Reply With Quote
06-07-2012
  9
V.I.P.
 
Melancholybaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greece
Gender: homme
Posts: 8,919
I think it's an issue of money...W is bigger than all the other American fashion glossies, but it's price is $1 higher than them despite it being the thinnest of them all. My favorites would be Love and AnOther. Their size and paper quality is perfect because they look like collectible books, with their thick and glossy paper, and not mere magazines.

__________________
An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom
  Reply With Quote
06-07-2012
  10
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sur la plage
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,418
Has anyone seen the latest MUSE edition on the newsstands, the one with Candice? Now it has the shape of Last Magazine, it's bigger and thinner. What a downgrade.

Quote:
I know its only a small problem, but i would be lying if it did not bug me when i buy the issues
Yes, okay but you have to take into perspective the normal consumer not the one that collects magazines like bibles at home. The normal consumer would care to read the articles and wouldn't take such a big importance at the editorials and ads because there's always the mag Book and such that have the clothes in detail.

  Reply With Quote
06-07-2012
  11
backstage pass
 
Razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: England
Gender: homme
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
I think it's an issue of money...W is bigger than all the other American fashion glossies, but it's price is $1 higher than them despite it being the thinnest of them all. My favorites would be Love and AnOther. Their size and paper quality is perfect because they look like collectible books, with their thick and glossy paper, and not mere magazines.
Yes i remember getting my first issue of Love and being impressed by the quality of the glossy pages. I think the best magazine for quality though is Self-Service, even though it costs a bit and you cant take it everywhere, but the quality of the paper is amazing and the hardback makes it feel a real collectable purchase.

__________________
http://clear-trash.tumblr.com/
  Reply With Quote
06-07-2012
  12
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 11,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I don't think it's an American Vogue issue though, American magazines seem to be generally smaller than European fashion magazines.
Aye, when it comes to paper in general, the US tends to use a different set of standard dimensions to most other countries.

When German Vogue reduced their size, the editor explained to readers that this was the simplest way of cutting costs without compromising on the content.

The physical aspect of magazines is something that people often don't give much thought to, but it can be fascinating, the composition of different types of paper, the workings of the printing presses and so on.

__________________
You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, you're only you.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
actual, magazine, measurements, sizes
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.