How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-06-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
You know , Soft I can relate SO much to what you have said here .

We live in a superficial world , generally , more's the pity , but I suppose there could be a worse one . It helps to be aware of this and of one's own character , at the same time ; me being a male UK designer - fashion Freak , or someone else , equally as self - aware , not a million miles from TFS , known to me as ' the crazy high - fashion cheetah from Nolita ' !!!!!

is that ME?!?!?!....

the high-fashion cheetah from nolita>?!?!....
that's awesome!!...

ps-i just bought some ysl shoes...
...and you know what else...
IT FELT REALLY GOOD!!!..
WOO!!!....

01-06-2005
kit
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
is that ME?!?!?!....

the high-fashion cheetah from Nolita>?!?!....
that's awesome!!...

ps-i just bought some ysl shoes...
...and you know what else...
IT FELT REALLY GOOD!!!..
WOO!!!....
You GOT it , in EVERY way .

01-06-2005
trendsetter

yay softie

01-06-2005
tfs star

no it doesnt lena

flaunt the imperfection

yay!...
thanks kit!!...
thanks johnny!!...

01-06-2005
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
well...
NOT buying kids stuff can backfire later as well...
my parents never 'gave' us anything...
we always had to earn it...
and if they simply didn't think it was important for us to have 'whatever it was'...
the answer was simply 'no'...

so i went out and got a job as soon as possible and i spent all my money on everything i wanted...
i am still buying stuff to make up for all the stuff my parents said no to...
even they now say that they are sorry they bought us so few toys...
and didn't indulge us a bit more...
OMG! That's the story of my life .. but it happened cuz there were three of us and my parents didnt have a lot of money .. so all my life I'd sacrifize by ordering cheap stuff and even have small presents for Xmas .. while my brothers still that my parents cr*p money!

That's why I got myself a job in order to be able to go from finally taste a $3 sundae to buying stuff I always longed for!

tfs star

Yah spoiling kids is NO GOOD...they don't learn how to appreciate money...but lets get back on topic

flaunt the imperfection

how are we not on topic...?!?
materialism in society...
where does it come from? ....how can you change it?...

i'd say KIDS would be a good answer!!...

01-06-2005
when the rats run riot

Materialism comes from...

Wanting something for whatever reason, not getting it, and then our desire to have that something grows, and we think getting that something is the only way to fulfil our happiness (at least for that moment, until something better comes along...)

01-06-2005
i'm almost ready..

what a hefty topic...!..

so many great thoughts..
i really dont have anything mind-boggling to add...

but i'll comment a little on this question of Soft's...

"what i am asking is what can we do on a larger scale to affect a change in society...
becuase that is the question that needs answering...
how do we 'un'-brainwash the members of the cult of fashionality..."

you mentioned your frustration at all the books and commentary on this subject...
their lack of depth....their tendency to just shine the light...
this light, however, is all we can do, i think.... which may be unfortunate... because at times you just feel so helpless...

but how could we possible 'un-brainwash' an entire society and culture..
i dont think we can... we can only work on ourselves... person by person..

you have come to certain realizations...
your parents denied you 'stuff'...
so you worked hard to attain it all...
the key is the AWARENESS you have gained..

your consumerism isnt mindless...
and maybe that is thanks, in part, to that little 'light' that has been cast on the subject...
you buy....you yearn...we all do... but at the end of the day most of us, through all this purchasing, come to discover a little conscious awareness.. that we have a CHOICE....and it is not the endless purchases that kills us... but rather our lack of awareness that each and every purchase, and desire, is indeed a very clear choice to be doing so...

some people take note of that possibility of choice and then CHANGE it..
they stop the endless buying...
they change their mindset..
teach their children otherwise...
sell the 'stuff'...

others choose to acknowledge the choice they have, and then continue to make it...
buy the stuff...
get the things they want..
keep working harder..
but at least they know they are accountable, at the end of the day..
and that this 'stuff' barely makes a dent on the scale of happiness...

and the final category, i believe, are those that dont even have the awareness.. they buy and work and spend and just keep going and going... and fall further down into the pit of desire, and of emptiness...
which is the saddest of all....but there is hope, i think...
and each and every book, article, and person that makes a comment or brings a little more awareness to the issue contributes to the greater society... sheds a little more light on it all... one more piece to the puzzle..

i think a lot more people recognize the role they play than we think...
they have the awareness....
they recognize the power they posess to CHOOSE..
and they then make another choice..
one to ignore this awareness..
and to just keep buying stuff, hoping one day a big enough purchase will grant them a big enough slice of fulfillement...

because that road seems easier, to a lot of people...
than changing from within..

01-06-2005
chaos reigns

This reminds of something .. I dunno if it's off topic ... but my mum knows it very well ... If I like something ..whether it's 3 cents or $3000, I'll do anything to get it! (I dont care if the entire world population is wearing it or not, as well).
Is it materialism?

windowshopping

In regards to this question of what can be done about over-consumption... I certainly believe that people as a whole must actively realize and subdue these negative behaviours... but ultimately, if nothing is actively done, over-consumption will kill itself on its own, albeit much to our own detriment. Afterall, all this stuff we acquire is based on our exponentially increasing usage of resources... particularily cheap un-renewable energy (oil). It is afterall the sole reason we are able to pursue globalisation, industrial architecture, and the "Western" quality of life. Not only is this hugely damaging to the environment, but more pressing is the fact that as we continue to increase our usage of oil, the sooner production will peak and our ability to exponentially consume will end.

07-06-2005
Seductress in Eden

if saying shopping is more important than boys then so be it im superficial shopping is always there for me... i have such a good relationship with clothes

07-06-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilekboy
In regards to this question of what can be done about over-consumption... I certainly believe that people as a whole must actively realize and subdue these negative behaviours... but ultimately, if nothing is actively done, over-consumption will kill itself on its own, albeit much to our own detriment. Afterall, all this stuff we acquire is based on our exponentially increasing usage of resources... particularily cheap un-renewable energy (oil). It is afterall the sole reason we are able to pursue globalisation, industrial architecture, and the "Western" quality of life. Not only is this hugely damaging to the environment, but more pressing is the fact that as we continue to increase our usage of oil, the sooner production will peak and our ability to exponentially consume will end.
great points made twilekboy, welcome to tFS
what can we do? altering society is impossible, altering our own consuming habits seems more 'real' and it can surely happen.. e.g. buy only what you need, not what you've been told you need.
It can start at the super market and end at the boutique...
I'm a fierce anti-consumer, i act on a political level ..of course i dont change the world, i'm just doing my part and let others do theirs
(and no, i'm not against those who live to buy.. i always respect people for what they are)

07-06-2005
Frozen irony.

I think there comes a time in one's life when you don't want to look like "everyone" .. juicy couture tracksuit, boho look, Louis Vuitton monogram, etc.

So you "buy" your way into a style that no-one else really has, or at least has when you walk around the street.

I don't know about you guys but i really would hate seing some-one else dress exactly like me! Most people on the street would not recognice the label or anything.. maybe they just think, well.. thats a nice cut dress... I do dress for myself, i have fun with chlothes i love it!

But yes, i am really materialistic i don't feel i have really done some proper shopping if i dont extend £100 is sad.

But what i know is, how happy it makes me, i just see it as another stupid expensive hobby, like guys "invest" in cars, i invest in bags

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
materialistic, society