How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-01-2006
etre soi-meme

wearable/unwearable..
like other posted already it is all more a matter of personal taste than of 'design'
believe it or not, i find those hiddeous low waisted jeans totally unwearable, i never tried one on, honestly..
to me its not really a matter of fitting, its a matter of taste, choice, mood and suroundings.

like finalfashion noted, its only too easy to make something 'impressive' but totally unwearable and get ohhhs and ahhhhs from everyone, but the end client.

personally i always had more respect for designers able to bring in clever fresh ideas and shapes without jumping over the 'weird-o / unwearable' fence.
the strength in a collection is to present clothes people want to wear instantly.. i dont particulary respect the 'shock' factor, just becuase its far to easy to shock, much earier than to make something useful and still innovative

to wrap this, extremely 'hard to wear' shapes and impressive-for-the-sake-of-it styles, belong to art galleries, to museums, but not to boutiques

16-01-2006
Stitch:the Hand

That's why I think the Belgians and even some of the Japanese are so good at what they do. Although it may appear odd,and one may percieve as unwearable visually,there is actually a real element of modesty in their works when looked at closely. It's a completely different feeling once you come in contact with it and try it on. It's like Boudicca...their work is so utterly dramatic on the catwalk and in stories,but when I saw their pieces on the Seven web site,seperately and on closer inspection...they work.

16-01-2006
rui
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by *sayan
Hi,
im am now over my 100t post, getting confortable and starting a debate:p

I am often reading comments using the "wearable-not wearable" factor. I would personnally love to hear more views af what it means for each person, as i think its a important factor in understanding different perceptions of fashion.

ANYTHING IS WEARABLE. Its up to the wearer to be confident in the garment!

16-01-2006
arndom

Wearable = sellable:-P

16-01-2006
Power to the 99%

Quote:
To me the concept of wearable has a lot to do with how one feels, or how one wants to feel rather than strictly how one looks. Therefore i can find some extreme C Diem pieces wearable, or Comme and many others for that matter. My very idealistic view of fashion makes me think clothes have the power to transform a soul.
Wearing a colorful extreme Comme piece gives u a challenge in the morning, a challenge in presenting yourself in the street, a challenge in communicating with strangers or friends, dealing with looks, putting yourself in a position to take things more lightly, and especially makes the wearer take himself less seriously. It can also bring out very nice sides of people who would therefor not be noticed, or show a very closed minded side of someone believed to be the opposite. these are all just examples, but my point is: how does one feel after such a day, what sens does "enjoy the moment"(carpe diem ) takes after such an adventure. I cannot believe that such a challenging day doesnt forge a personality...yes, we all admire or at least are intrigued by people who "pull it off", BUT maybe that person wasnt as strong before and challenged herself by putting something crazy on her back. Maybe its the garment who's responsible for making that person strong. Garments making people more confident. doesn't it sound nice?
Sure being sexy is nice and can bring some self confidence. But being truly confident is holly.(and in my opinion much sexier )

"Life is to serious to take it seriously"
sayan, I certainly like how ambitious you are for fashion, which as we all know is notorious for being shallow ...

I'm not sure which comes first, the chicken or the egg. I guess I see two kinds of people interested in fashion. One kind is people with strong personalities, at least one standard deviation from the mean , who really want to express what's inside them & certainly can't do so via the mainstream. The other is people who are a bit (or maybe more than a bit) insecure, and can't stand to present themselves as anything less than perfect.

Clothing can be armor ... clothing can be support ... I guess now that I'm older and (thank God) more secure, I'm having a hard time remembering the role that clothes played for me before.

I do enjoy the conversations that clothes start, but to be perfectly honest the ones I've enjoyed the most have been based not on high fashion but on T-shirts that would probably cause at least a few people around here to faint Like my Timberland "Give Racism the Boot" T, and the "We Can Do It" Rosie the Riveter T (among other conversations I met a guy who'd lived down the street from the real Rosie during the war in Ypsilanti, MI). In fact, I'm now wishing I had a really good T-shirt to wear for MLK Day today rather than the rather slick ebony and ivory neoGothic look I am sporting :p

So anyway, I'm not sure I buy your idea, but I love it anyway.

As far as wearability, I agree with some of what's already been said. I find things designed for toothpicks only, and things that only the very strongest personalities can wear (vs the clothes wearing them, e.g., most of Pilati's work), to be unwearable.

17-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
To me the concept of wearable has a lot to do with how one feels, or how one wants to feel rather than strictly how one looks. Therefore i can find some extreme C Diem pieces wearable, or Comme and many others for that matter. My very idealistic view of fashion makes me think clothes have the power to transform a soul.
Wearing a colorful extreme Comme piece gives u a challenge in the morning, a challenge in presenting yourself in the street, a challenge in communicating with strangers or friends, dealing with looks, putting yourself in a position to take things more lightly, and especially makes the wearer take himself less seriously. It can also bring out very nice sides of people who would therefor not be noticed, or show a very closed minded side of someone believed to be the opposite. these are all just examples, but my point is: how does one feel after such a day, what sens does "enjoy the moment"(carpe diem ) takes after such an adventure. I cannot believe that such a challenging day doesnt forge a personality...yes, we all admire or at least are intrigued by people who "pull it off", BUT maybe that person wasnt as strong before and challenged herself by putting something crazy on her back. Maybe its the garment who's responsible for making that person strong. Garments making people more confident. doesn't it sound nice?
Sure being sexy is nice and can bring some self confidence. But being truly confident is holly.(and in my opinion much sexier )

"Life is to serious to take it seriously"
Excellent.

17-01-2006
front crow

coming from mista fashion critique.

i sure hope one day u will wear my designs faust .

17-01-2006
fashion icon

sayan that post was beautifully worded. Interesting point brought up about how garments making people feel confident in regards to someone who might not have been as strong before, it totally changed the way I will now look at someone who is said that "the clothes are wearing them" (a phrase I always used to describe someone who seems like the clothes are overpowering them). That said, this is an issue I've struggled with sometimes, but I've come to realize that wearing what feels natural is the most important thing...people who wear clothes that are deemed as "unfashionable" could be criticized as ignorant to good style, but now I've realized that what they wear has very little bearing on who they are as a person, and in the end even throwing on nice clothes won't change much, besides it's all about who they are in their 'essence' anyway.

Also another note: to be very honest I feel a lot more natural (and can behave/act accordingly) wearing a Yohji jacket over a Dior Homme jacket, and I understand that it's a very personal issue in the end. So even though Yohji may be seen as less wearable for some, for me it is the most natural and wearable clothing in the world, I can't find anything else that is better tailored to who I am as a person.

18-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
coming from mista fashion critique.

i sure hope one day u will wear my designs faust .
hey, if that's your design philosophy and our aesthetics match - you bet :p

18-01-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastry
shrunken blazers, raw edges, worn denim - not for me.
haha thats like my favorite stuff

18-01-2006
etre soi-meme

^^ that's the point, what may be wearable to someone is unwearable to someone else.. very simple really.

the key is in respecting and seeing 'others' from a wider less 'alien' view

18-01-2006
chaos reigns

I've always thought that there are pieces which are universally un-wearable ... I mean .. years ago trends where fed by Haute couture ... and nowadays .. I'd say couture is unwearable, because ... how many people can afford it?

Hum ... thinking outside the box and seeing unwearable pieces as a challenge its my approach ...

ANYTIME YOU MAKE A PIECE OF CLOTHING YOURS (AS IS FITTING YOUR STYLE) YOU'RE A TRENDSETTER.

I've seen it happen over and over ... I hate trends but inavertedly I'd seen people who has gotten "inspired" by things I or someone has worn in the street. Isnt it ironic? Turning into the same thing you hate?

But I guess that's for the best ... it means you have to be more creative and re-invent, re-cycle, re-think ...a work in progress! Something to get up in the morning and try stuff from your wardrobe (or at some shop) over and over again until you get the desired combination.

V.I.P.

Werable is something that i feel confotable in, is something that fits well and is something that i feel confident in.
I also think some people dont have the confidance to wear mad clothes that arent common (ok hard to explain but i know what i mean lol) but anyways i also think wearable is something youi can wear with out atracting to many questionin glances. Ok maybe im totaly wrong but to me thats what i think of as being wearable and how i use the word... all though i dont think there is a right or wrong answer.

30-01-2006
rising star

In my opinion everything is wearable, pulling it off and feeling comfortable in it is another thing.

30-01-2006
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqth
Wearable = sellable:-P
and here you have the bottom line...
THAT is the true meaning of the word....plain and simple...

read it and weep...

good going nqth...
right to the point...
love that...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
discussion, meaning, wearable