Are models useless? - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-11-2015
front row

Are models useless?
I think models are awesome and sometimes I care more about good models than fashion itself, but models nowadays have the worst modeling skills ever and yet sales in fashion aren't being negatively affected by it at all, moreover they continue to grow.

So do models, as skilled and awesome as they can be, have no effect on fashion whatsoever? Or are we simply in the middle of a calculated "drought" of good models, feeding on the inertia caused by mid and late 2000s supermodels just so that an awesome new crop of models a la Mariacarla, Carmen, Vlada, etc. can get people talking about fashion again once they grow tired of the Gigis and the Kendalls and the generic clones with no modeling skills? Personally I'd go with the 2nd option, after all when people think of Versace for example 9 times out of 10 the first image that will come to their mind is a confident supermodel strutting down a runway.

25-11-2015
flaunt the imperfection

sales are actually in the total toilet right now, in fact...

not that it has anything to do with the models...
but just so you know...they are not continuing to grow...
stores are closing...all over the world...

25-11-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post

Oh okay, I read somewhere a while ago that fashion kept growing I'm too gullible.

26-11-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post

Which stores? And for which reason? I'd say fast fashion chains like Zara are not closing. They are growing like crazy. Sure, there are difficulties to overcome when competing with online shopping.

I don't think models are useless; but a lot depends on photographers/stylist/make up artists. Much more than on the models. Sure they have to have the right look, and be at least a bit comfortable, but you can have a suitable girl and still get terrible results if the team isn't good.

I think you are just experiencing nostalgia. I bet in 15 years people will be yearning for the models of today. Things change.

26-11-2015
backstage pass

Louis Vuitton, for example.

26-11-2015
V.I.P.

Supermodels makes people interested in fashion do they not? I know I wouldn't be here if Kate wasn't who she is, and I can imagine Cara and the likes might do the same for the younger generation.

I think it is a universal truth that everything was better "when we were young"

Surely there have always been loads of bad models?

26-11-2015
fashion insider

No. There is a wide variety of models for designers to choose from nowadays, especially with the likes of social media making it easier for guys and girls to be scouted.

As for modelling skills.. well, I think you're making a generalization there. You mentioned the celebrity models but apart from them I certainly think there are lots of fabulous models out there. Julia Nobis is one. Lexi Boling is another.

27-11-2015
V.I.P.

Imo, the majority of people shop based on their tastes. Every generation shades on the one before.

front row

Fashion is a business about selling clothes, not the models who are wearing them. Certain brands are selling, while others may struggle or lag but it has nothing to do with models. It's about the clothes. It's always been about the clothes.

Models are not popstars, or movie stars. The general public don't relate to them in that way. They create nothing, and can always be replaced. The ones who last in fashion, are the ones who are able to capitalize on their success, and brand themselves in fashion, or other areas of interest.

People who can afford high fashion, buy it because of the designer, and heritage of the label. I doubt most women would by a 10 thousand dollar dress, just because Freja wore it in an ad.

The only "model" the public is interested in, is Kendall Jenner, and that's because of her bizarre family.

27-11-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepps View Post
Models are not popstars, or movie stars. The general public don't relate to them in that way.
Not anymore that is, models were bigger than movie stars in the 90's.

Quote:
They create nothing, and can always be replaced.
That's just not true, every fashion designer will tell you that a good model will make the clothes look much better than a mediocre one. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Carmen Kass make one of Donatella's frumpy messes work for example.

27-11-2015
V.I.P.

In the 90ies models mattered more than clothes. I remember reading Tom Ford's interview where he said that they simply didn't sell clothes at all. That might just be Gucci which was in a very sad state when Tom took over... The hype was created by the supermodels and the whole focus was placed on them too. I think fashion probably never had so many beautiful and different looking models involved thoughout its history. Past 1997 this changed dramatically, I think the models of 2000s were great because they had beauty, they were fresh but weren't as captivating and overpowering as the supers were... This is when the clothes started selling. This was followed by the celebrity takeover which I think will never go away because they sell... I think it is in fact the worst period in fashion and that includes the modelling world...

27-11-2015
V.I.P.

P.S. Personally, I am more interested in models. They are the ones who bring clothes to life for me and they are responsible for making me interested in fashion. Apart from that I don't really care about fashion because nowadays we all dress differently and as we like and I think it is great. I hate trends and I am super happy when I see differently dressed people in the street. I think probably consumers are the best models nowadays. You see more interesting and inspiring fashion on streets that on catwalks.

27-11-2015
fashion insider

Quote:
The only "model" the public is interested in, is Kendall Jenner, and that's because of her bizarre family.
The public are interested in way more models than Kendall though.

27-11-2015
V.I.P.

I agree with comments except for this:
Quote:
What does that even mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite13 View Post
The public are interested in way more models than Kendall though.
Subjective...

V.I.P.

^I'm a part of the public, and I am interested in other models than Kendall. So no, it is not subjective. It is a fact I just proved.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
models, useless