New York Fashion Week... What is happening? - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-09-2017
fashion elite

We are talking about NYFW but isn't also the same with London?

At least, at nyfw they still have big names like Tom Ford, Raf Simons, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs through the entire week who attract the press, the buyers and to some extend who matters to us (even if some may find them irrelevant).

LFW depends totally on JW ANDERSON first and on a business level, on Burberry. While Erdem will be an important show thanks to his H&M collection, the majority of LFW designers gets totally unnoticed during after FW. Some may have a stable business but can someone remembers Christopher Kane's last 2 collections? NO

16-09-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
We are talking about NYFW but isn't also the same with London?

At least, at nyfw they still have big names like Tom Ford, Raf Simons, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs through the entire week who attract the press, the buyers and to some extend who matters to us (even if some may find them irrelevant).

LFW depends totally on JW ANDERSON first and on a business level, on Burberry. While Erdem will be an important show thanks to his H&M collection, the majority of LFW designers gets totally unnoticed during after FW. Some may have a stable business but can someone remembers Christopher Kane's last 2 collections? NO
True, but I think London has been irrelevant for as long as most of us can remember, where as in the late noughties, NYFW was arguably as exciting as Europe.

16-09-2017
scenester

The situation with NYFW is very interesting. There was actually quite a bit of excitement, at least, from what I experienced. I just don't think it was covered well by the press. Tom Ford, Fenty x Puma, Raf, even Marc Jacobs had exciting shows with throngs of people outside trying to get in. Say what you may about Philipp Plein, but that production he staged was absolutely wild! I mean, the entire avenue between 8th and 9th was completely blocked by people trying to get in. Even those of us who were seated guests had to fight for our dear lives just to get through. Wang didn't put on as large a spectacle but it was exciting nonetheless.

The problem with NYC is the actual fashion. It hasn't been the same since the heyday of Donna Karan, Helmut Lang, de la Renta etc. The fashion isn't strong enough, so designers are putting on spectacles instead. I suspect this has a lot to do with designers trying to figure out if people just want to see clothes or if they want an experience. Experience is the new buzz word in fashion.

Also the parties! I'm surprised Mert & Marcus' rager didn't get more press because it was really something, as well as all the other parties and events. They all contribute to the fashion week energy and vibe.

I'm not sure if NYFW is broken or if it's just evolving and we need to get used to the change.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, happening, week, york