How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-06-2011
windowshopping

Putting your money where your mouth is - How do you support your favourite designers?
I cleaned up my wardrobe and found some designers who I loved. But now some of them we hardly see. Even in magazines. They're not as famous as they were.

I wonder how would you feel if one day your most loved label(s) no longer exist. And what would you do to keep them alive?

Last edited by softgrey; 17-08-2011 at 08:27 PM.

17-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

I've edited the title of this thread and corrected the spelling in the original post and moved it over here because i think it's a great question...
especially since the economy and retail stocks are struggling so much at the moment...

Do you have any favourite designers or labels?...
and if so..
do you go out of your way to buy their products and support them each season?

personally...
i do...
my budget is limited...
but i try to make sure to buy something from yohji every season...
especially since i know he struggles on the financial side of things...
i think it would be tragic if the world lost such a great designer...

the same is true for several other designers i admire as well...
i won't buy just to buy...
but i will try to find something each season that works for me and fits into my lifestyle...

*i mean...
can you imagine the world without vivienne westwood?...

Last edited by softgrey; 17-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.
17-08-2011
fashion icon

Well I am a college student, so I can barely afford anything from Target, but if Giambattista Valli dissapears, I might just die. I was a wreck over the losses of Allesandra Fachinetti at Valentino & Theyskens at Nina Ricci. If Valli went under, I might have a heart attack. For real. Seriously.

21-08-2011
fashion icon

Just like Valliaddict I'm a college student so I can't buy designers but I love to admire my favorite designers from afar and someday hope to buy the collections. One of my favorite designers did go under, Luella, and I was so sad. I never got the chance to buy something Luella so now I'll have to scour ebay and the like. I don't like that I can't look forward to seeing one of my favorite designers during fashion week. It was always a treat to see what Luella would do. But if other designers like Rodarte and Miu Miu went under... ooohh boy... I think I'd try to buy out the last collections! Even if it meant that I couldn't go on holiday for a few years or pay my college debt!

Looking Up

I think we have a thread like this already?
I miss Cristina Ortiz the most I think. Her work for Lanvin and Salvatore Ferragamo was really nice

24-08-2011
fashion elite

Well Thierry Mugler already left

I still buy his colognes and see if I can get access to some of his work (pens, underwear and so on as well some shirts here and there... they're really difficult to find!)

Too keep it alive? I run a tumblr page on all his work, himself as well as his side projects and make a post here and there about his influence over fashion now a days.

24-08-2011
girl who fell to earth

I don't know that I've developed enough loyalty for a particular brand (or maybe i haven't defined my own personal style enough yet either?) but i always find it sad when a brand that i like goes under...

i definitely treasure the pieces i have from brands that no longer exist...
maybe in the same way that i treasure things from a brand when it was under a previous designer... in a way it sometimes feels like that part of the brand no longer exists...

i managed to snag a mayle handbag before her line went under and i'm so glad that i got it while i still could
i also have a great callaghan dress (knee length cream with long sleeves a high neckline and a somewhat subtle silvery neon green line sewn down the front) that i LOVE and enjoy wearing. but i always feel a twinge of sadness when i take it off the hanger knowing that the brand no longer exists

i also have a lovely navy and cream long formal valentino jacket from when valentino was still designing and i sort of feel the same way about that even though the valentino brand still exists

24-08-2011
V.I.P.

there are a lot of brands i like that no longer exist.

imitation of christ under tara subkoff - i'm still looking for a few pieces of hers that will hopefully crop up on ebay

luella - i occasionally buy her mid 2000's pieces on ebay or other resale stores.

in regards to mayle - i recently bought one of her dresses for a steal at a resale store out of an abundance of caution. i'm not sold on her genius however.

front row

veronique branquinho, stephan schneider and martin margiela.
i turned to bruno pieters, who now also is no longer designing, and wim neels, who also doesnt design much?

i almost totally changed to italian designers like dsquared or dolce gabanna these days

25-08-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
I miss Cristina Ortiz the most I think. Her work for Lanvin and Salvatore Ferragamo was really nice
I completely forgot about Christina Ortiz. I too loved her work at Ferragamo, especially her last collection.

25-08-2011
Looking Up

Heatherette? I miss that mess.

25-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
that is just a thread about who is out of business i believe...

this thread is about what you actually would do/ are doing to keep the designers you like in business...
not just making a list of the ones who are gone...

it's about putting your $$$ where your mouth is...

for example----
*i will bring friends shopping at stores and show them the work of my fave designers so they will consider their clothes and perhaps buy some of them as well...

**i'll try to come up with a better title to make it more clear- if anyone has a suggestion- i'm all ears!
thx...

Last edited by softgrey; 26-08-2011 at 10:58 AM.
25-08-2011
V.I.P.

i look back at ms. marant from previous years with deep rapture. i always looked forward to adding something from the mainline for flair and building on great basics with etoile. i know she isnt gone per se but for now, for me, she has left the house...

i can count 3 names that come up each season that i usually can find something attainable and wicked desireable. but usually the fall collections are more enticing , with the exception being yohji. dries van noten, junya watanabe, comme des garcons including comme comme, ann d. and rick o seem to be the draws for me season after season, and i find it fairly easy to support them...its actually harder to resist them. through in a little marni when she woos me from time to time, with cross-eyed funk. funny i just realized that these are all independently minded designers with dignity and humble centeredness.

Last edited by luckyme; 26-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.
25-08-2011
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
that is just a thread about who is out of business i believe...

this thread is about what you actually would do/ are doing to keep the designers you like in business...
not just making a list of the ones who are gone...

it's about putting your $$$ where your mouth is...

for example----
*i will bring friends shopping at stores and show them the work of my fave designers so they will consider their clothes and perhaps buy some of them as well...

**i'll try to come up with a better title to make it more clear- if anyone has a suggestion- i'm all ears!
thx...
Maybe something like "how do you support your favorite labels/designers to keep them in business"

that could be a mouth full though...

25-08-2011
backstage pass

I would work for free to keep Givenchy alive!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
designers, favourite, money, mouth, putting, support