How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

29-07-2010
Amour Comme Hiver

I know the focus of this thread is diversity in fashion modeling, but is it just me or is every other aspect of the fashion industry pretty white washed as well? While there are a few black men in the fashion editorial/journalism world (Andre Leon Talley, Edward Enniful), I can't name a single black female fashion editor. Tracy Reese is the only well known black female designer, and there are very few black female socialites with fashion street cred. Why is that? Is it institutional racism (many fashion personalities are those that were afforded an economic advantage at birth so that they were able to pursue careers in an industry full of financial ups and downs), or something more deliberate and direct?

29-07-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
It's really hard for me to see why Vogue Africa would be offensive. Who in the world thinks it's one COUNTRY? It would be obvious it would be in order to sell enough copies. But sure, Vogue Kenya or South Africa might be better, easier to accomplish, especially considering the language aspect.

Then again, if the language is not English, there would have to be a clientele who could purchase the clothes in order to motivate the language. Vogue is there to sell expensive clothes....there have to be people who are interested.
oh i could show you tons and tons of people who still speak of africa as if it is one country.

in my opinion i would find it not so much offensive but odd because, just as people have previously stated, the language issue. there are over 2,000+ languages in africa and to publish it in english wouldn't work because then i believe people would find that even more offensive seeing as how that was a language forced upon them, not really embraced.

Vogue South Africa(in Zulu) and Vogue Kenya(in Swahili) sounds like a very good place to start.

04-08-2010
V.I.P.

I still think Karl isnt being diverse just because he is featuring asians
its only because they buy so much of his clothing that it would onlyy make since to
have asian girls in it. Jourdan Dunn and Liya Kebede were also in his shows but that was F/W 2009 and then Jourdan did the resort show as well...

I think the male modeling industry is more open to diversity because I dont think they are as hard on male models about color...you can look at a man regardless of his skin color and see that he is quite attractive or sellable but there are so many restrictions in female modeling which is quite a head scratcher

I dont understand though why Dsquared2 did that whole hip-hop theme show and then didnt even shoot a real campaign but had black models and now black models are nowhere to be seen in their Menswear shows.

04-08-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4;7626383[/B
]I've noticed that most of the most successful black models have distinct european features.[/B] I'm talking about the ones who get editorials, beauty contracts, & campaigns. Its an odd phenomenon. Maybe designers and editors think a girl like Liya Kebede would be less threatening to their customers than say, Georgie Badiel.
This is definitely true. When you really examine them, women like Liya Kebede, Naomi Campbell, Tyra Banks, Joan Smalls, all have fairly caucasian features. (Fairly light skin, unbroad noses, non Afro-textured hair, etc.) It's pretty sad when you think about how some of the most successful Black models, (and forgive me if this sounds weird), are not 'as black as they seem'.

I think it's great that girls like Ajak&Ataui Deng, Georgie Baddiel, Aminata Niaria, Nana Keita (), Flaviana Matata, and Shena Moulton are really starting to break through.

And of course the goddess Alek Wek. :crus
h:

01-09-2010
front row

I'm not sure what you're describing qualifies as "caucasian features". There are a very wide range of physical appearances on the African continent, and I don't think Alek Wek's facial structure (as opposed to her hair) is much (if at all) more representative of Africa than Liya Kebede's. In fact, my mother - who is Rwandan - recently complained about Alek Wek and another black model as not being particularly beautiful, compared to whatever local beauties with the requisite height/body she recalled from her youth, while we were watching a show on FTV.

I think the model scouting outside of Brazil and most of Europe is simply atrocious. It's incomprehensible that I can't think of a single female arab or Persian model working today (maybe they exist, but they're not very successful) and yet know of a dozen or so Lithuanians offhand (I love Edita, by the way!). And when Alek Wek is supposed to be a top African model, when she isn't even the best-looking person in her immediate family, something's awry.

01-09-2010
fashion elite

^You are missing the point. Yes, there are many different features black people can have. But there seems to be a certain set of features that falls in line with the white standard of beauty and models with them tend to get better opportunities.

p.s. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with your feelings about Alek Wek.

01-09-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
^You are missing the point. Yes, there are many different features black people can have. But there seems to be a certain set of features that falls in line with the white standard of beauty and models with them tend to get better opportunities.
Which is true, but different from alleging that they have Caucasian features (which always seems to imply either some admixture of European/non-African blood or anomalous genetics).

Quote:
p.s. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with your feelings about Alek Wek.
Your prerogative, but I stand firm!

06-09-2010
front row

I honestly dont remember the last time I've seen an asian model on the cover of any major issue of vogue aside from vogue china....I mean vogue Japan had Tao on the cover but that was the first in how long? and VP had Du Juan on the cover and that was how long ago? I would really like to see an Asian model get a solo cover of VI, VP or any major "western" magazine fo that matter.

06-09-2010
V.I.P.

^Yeah, unfortunately don't hold your breath in waiting for that day to come.

I purchased this month's September issue of Vogue (US ed.) because of my long time crush on Halle, and she is a good actress, IMO. Anyway, I was so saddened over the fact how much that magazine has basically made women of color such a rarity. If anyone seen how thick this month's issue is, you would think a better count of women of color would exist. And the advertisers in that mag are the worst -- maybe one of two women of color? Guess I was hoping for too much since they put Halle on the cover.

06-09-2010
fashion elite

US Vogue actually seems to be the most racially diverse of all the international editions. They at least try to feature not only black models, but also asians. Vogue Paris and Nippon are easily the worst when it comes to diversity.

06-09-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
US Vogue actually seems to be the most racially diverse of all the international editions. They at least try to feature not only black models, but also asians. Vogue Paris and Nippon are easily the worst when it comes to diversity.
I definitely agree about the diversity in the September 2010 US Vogue issue and commented about it in the thread. I thought that it was one of the most diverse issues I have seen in a while: you had Halle (cover and main ed), Naomi, Liya, Chanel, Liu, Jourdan, Joan, Rose, Arlenis, Tao, Lais, Adriana and Alessandra, along with celebs Pharrell Williams, Usher and also a Chinese basketball player and a celebrity chef.

I totally agree with crow_watcher's point about the ads.

Last edited by agee; 06-09-2010 at 12:20 PM.

06-09-2010
V.I.P.

Regarding the different editions of Vogue, I think that the track record of the US edition is OK, it is stuck on Liya, but that's Anna's MO to have favorites and then feature them over and over again. One of the exciting things about September 2010 issue was not only the diversity, but also the new faces (which has been happening in recent months), so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

The Russian edition of Vogue intrigues me because they regularly feature Black models in eds (usually multi-girl), I don't know if it is the Naomi effect or what?

The German magazines as well, they don't feature Black models with as much regularity as US and Russian Vogue, but every so often a Black model will pop up on a cover or be featured in a signature ed.

I agree that it will be great to see more Asian models in eds and covers, I guess because of Vogue China and a couple of other Asian fashion magazines I don't feel as deprived, nevertheless it would be good to see Asian models in fashion magazines everywhere and especially on the covers of the Japanese and Korean fashion mags.

06-09-2010
fashion elite

Lol when it comes down to it Du is still the only Asian who has been on the cover of one of the big four Vogues and that was 5 years ago. Eugenia Mandzhieva was on the cover of Vogue Russia but that was also years ago. I always read articles about WHY SO FEW BLACK MODELS IN THIS ISSUE?? or HOW COME ONLY A HANDFUL OF BLACK GIRLS ON US VOGUE COVER?? and i always wonder how come no one seems to care that there has never been an Asian on the cover of US Vogue not even a celebrity The Asian models rarely ever get eds in that magazine either, probably because the big stories are by Meisel and he never uses Asians. In fact one of his last shoots for Vogue "We are the world" featured only Liu even though Asians make up the largest population in the world And i know he once shot Daul for Vogue Italia but apart from that i can't recall another time he ever worked with an Asian model

06-09-2010
front row

^I know asian models are completely ignored or disregarded when it comes to that...I dont get why theyre arnt more asian models getting covers or major blue chip campaigns aside from givenchy when there are such beautiful asian models out there its annoying

08-09-2010
you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
I agree that it will be great to see more Asian models in eds and covers, I guess because of Vogue China and a couple of other Asian fashion magazines I don't feel as deprived, nevertheless it would be good to see Asian models in fashion magazines everywhere and especially on the covers of the Japanese and Korean fashion mags.
I've never gotten a bad feeling about the lack of asians on Vogue Nippon because I've always gotten the impression that that magazine is really, really a niche magazine in Japan that caters to those interested in western ideas about fashion (I mean the editor is white, for god's sake..). There are probably multitudes of magazines in Japan that are more general and closely assocated with Japan, etc.

One thing that sometimes worries me about foriegn editons of Vogue using local models and celebrities (such as China, Korea and Taiwan) is that people on here complain so damn much when there is an asian model or celebrity on these mags, unless they have been deemed a favourite. Also look at Vogue India, which mostly features Bollywood stars. You rarely hear people discussing those editions, and when they do they are mercilessly mocked (esp. Taiwan and India). But I think it's admirable that, despite aesthetic troubles, they focus on cover stars that are relevant to their localities and not random Eastern European models.

Last edited by blueorchid; 08-09-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diversity, modeling, racial