Racial Diversity In Modeling - Page 11 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
03-06-2006
chaos reigns

Hum .. never thought of that .. but now that you mention it ... yikes ... that'd be quite a faux pas

03-06-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott

Could it be that many non-whites don't even consider a fashion career because they "know" they won't get anywhere? Is it a self-fulfilling prophecy?
Yeah, that is major factor. Along with the fact that many black models know that there is more money going into mainstream fashion. When push comes to shove, mainstream fashion is a much smarter move- these days, they are the highest paid and most famous models. Along with the fact that mainstream models can eat!

03-06-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fabulous
Versace doesn't cast any black models either. Has she casted them before? But then again, Halle did do the S/S 06 Ads, but for the runway its like mainly blondes right???

Its not that they're racist..I wouldn't know though.
they've cast liya and i've also seen kiara kabukuru in some of their shows, and of course, naomi... ai tominaga did walk for versus once, and donatella regularly cast fernanda tavares and caroline ribeiro back in the day

03-06-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

^ Apart from Prada, most of the Italian brands use African Americans (more so than New York and Paris). It is a pretty big generalization in the fashion world that Milan looks for 'exotic, raw, sex appeal' more so than the haute chic of Paris and the socially acceptable and always comfortable New York. Most black models are sexy!

03-06-2006
windowshopping

i haven't read all of these posts, but this is a bit ridiculous. honestly, it could just be coincidence, or maybe paler models fit the vision or whatever better. and any model could add class or take it away.

but how are the models important? they're pretty much nothing more than hangers for the clothing. when you're treating people like hangers, the collection seems to flow easier if every hanger is identical to the ones before and after it.

but that's not to say i don't want diversity on the runway. it's miucca's or whoever's decision; we can't do that much about it.

Last edited by imthejolt; 03-06-2006 at 02:34 PM.

03-06-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron
Yeah, Liya. How about Jil Sanders or Calvin Klien? I don't think Versace cast any Asian models as well. I know Hye, Ai and Ling (I believe) have never walked in Versace.
didnt jenny shimizu do something with CK?

06-06-2006
tfs star

then again, for prada it is all about the clothes, i remember the season with the tie dye and daria closed with a sari inspired dress in gold, i think that if an asian, black, native american, etc etc, wore it, it would be taken out of context, and seem exploitive when the whole ambition was the opposite,in that collection i can see the reasoning but the most recent F/W could have easily worked with a load of girls...

20-12-2006
yes

i found this great video

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...070683&q=prada

its so funny to see kate, naomi, linda and christy all doing prada!

20-12-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
i found this great video

Wow that was a great video! Thanks Acid! Off topic, but it's funny to see how Prada copies itself sometimes. Through the years in that video there were a couple of outfits that were almost the same done more then once!

20-12-2006
V.I.P.

ai never walked for versace!!! what's versace smoking? ai is amazing!

wasn't there some prada asian controversy too, about how prada doesn't use asian girls? i've seen hye in their shows, so i don't really believe it, but that's just what i've heard some people say

has prada ever used ai tominaga?

21-12-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroqueRockstar
ai never walked for versace!!! what's versace smoking? ai is amazing!

wasn't there some prada asian controversy too, about how prada doesn't use asian girls? i've seen hye in their shows, so i don't really believe it, but that's just what i've heard some people say

has prada ever used ai tominaga?
Nope. I believe Hye is the only asian or black model to walk for Prada since Naomi back in the 90's.

21-12-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair
cnn looked at prada runway footage and found that they haven't had a woman of color on their runway in six years...personally i think that is ridiculous. it's almost like they're saying "these women shouldn't be wearing prada; we aren't targeting them."

and i have to disagree with you princeofcats; there are many other white european designers using women of color (black, indian, asian) on their runways. i don't think at this stage using women of color in your show is making a point...maybe 10 years ago. now just about every runway show has at least one woman of color, usually liya, ujjwala, naomi or alek wek.
I definitely agree.

21-12-2006
trendsetter

Well speaking of Asian, I was soooo surprised Donatella casted Hye Park this past season and she casted Bruna Tenorio (she's Brazilian but I think she has some asian genes). I think she is trying to change the look of the company though (to my opinion I would do it.)

Now a days I feel its so pathetic to be so racial specific. We really are all the same.

22-12-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
i found this great video

Great video thanks Acid Kate looks breathtaking in it

22-12-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
i found this great video

Thanks. Naomi looks simply amazing here

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diversity, modeling, racial