Racial Diversity In Modeling - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
13-03-2005
princely

It must mean something that they were willing to use an asian model for their entire campaign, if they were only going to do it for legal reasons, the model wouldnt have been featured in so many shots.

14-03-2005
about to fall or fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
Because Miuccia Prada is a white European...if she uses black models she is making a point whereas is she uses white models she's just following convention.
what point would she be making?

14-03-2005
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by toohipforbrooklyn
totally agree with you, theory... coincidence?? i think not... just now that the chinese market is booming, they cast hye park in almost ALL the important shows, including prada... ai never had so many important castings in one season (that's to be discussed later)

what does hye park's being in shows have to do with the booming in chinese market?

14-03-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
Because Miuccia Prada is a white European...if she uses black models she is making a point whereas is she uses white models she's just following convention.
what was convention yesterday is racism today. if we were to follow convention then we might as well have separate pubs and buses. I also agree Liya, Yasmeen, Kimanee and many new black girls fit the Prada image perfectly. Funny enough many black and coloured stars swear by Prada in most of their songs!! If Karl Lagerfield can use black models who can't

14-03-2005
front row

I know that Naomi Campbell walked the runway for Prada at the autumn-winter 1997-98 season.

14-03-2005
V.I.P.

is it also convention to have 13, 14 year olds walking the catwalk instead of asian or black models? it seems this isn't the only thing that is backwards

Last edited by strawbutterb; 14-03-2005 at 04:32 AM.

14-03-2005
backstage pass

Why doesn't Prada put black models on her runway? Because she doesn't want to. It's as simple and as honest as that and I think it's important to respect a designer's vision. It doesn't demean and diminish the value of black women around the world, at least I hope it would not. And what of Asian women or Indian women or women from the Middle East, from those wealthy cultures that can really afford all of this...gear, this stuff, these clothes? Before we get too uptight about this, we have to ask ourselves how important is it that Prada diversify the little girls she sends down the runway in overpriced clothing?

It leaves the responsibility of representing an honest vision of the world, if that is a responsibility worth carrying, on us, the future designers, bookers, casting agents, photographers and yada yada yada. Don't say nobody warned you.

Last edited by birdofparadise; 14-03-2005 at 07:01 AM.

14-03-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Why would there be a point in using black white or Asian models in what is 'just a rtw show'? I mean, there would be a point in it, in say, an Asian inspired couture show, or African for that matter. That would just be typecasting. Using Alek (yes with a k, not with an x) Liya or whomever in a rtw show like Prada's or Calvin Klein or Gucci etcetera...would not make a statement at all I think. Neither would using any other skin colour either. I mean, everyone using the Russian girls, does that mean per se that the designers are saying, omg be Russian or be nothing and go away? No I don't think so. I stick with my point that it's just a coincidence.

twitter.com/ErikP87

14-03-2005
backstage pass

I agree and disagree with Mr. Dale (whom we all love with burning passions never to be quenched).

In a way, he right: there is no point, there rarely is any coherent connection between the models chosen and the clothes. You could get into specific cases, perhaps, like Dior Homme or 'urban wear' but then you run up against designer esthetic.

But...model agencies and bookers, casting agents and the like get paid a lot of money to choose the 'right' girl. You'd be foolish to think for one second that they don't actively, wholeheartedly discriminate. Of course they do, they get paid to do it: She's... too fat, too skinny, too pale, too dark, too black, too white, too known, too blonde, too womanly, too girly. We all remember the BBC's expose on the Elite Agency and top level exective Xavier Moreau spouting racist remarks when confronted with black model hopefuls. It's the nature of the beast. I think we're all well aware that we don't live in some candy coated world in which all wrongs are righted and people actually think for themselves. We can't nail Prada to the cross--there are too many in line before her.

14-03-2005
front row

I would just like to borrow some of Theory's words as they were so fittingly succint -

I might not fit into Prada's demographic but having been a wearer and a fan for years, I am not likely to dump my bags and shoes anytime soon, in protest of something that is so not new!!

Ethnic women have always been lagging behind their European counterparts in the world of Media&Fashion forever. The only issue I have with this thread is the OP use of the word coloured to describe black models. Anyone calls me coloured to my face and I am likey to turn your face into a coloured mess. Think black, blue and purple...

Last edited by SJPdeux; 14-03-2005 at 08:09 AM.

14-03-2005
front row

Birdsofparadise, I just had to say v.good points made in a great post.

14-03-2005
Heated

It is DEFINITELY NOT a coincedence. So much attention is paid to the model casting that it's impossible for them to somehow accidentally overlook top girls like Liya again and again. I think it's a conscious and calculated decision, from the ends of design, marketing, and casting.

But that's not to say that I agree with this thread. There's no rule that houses have to present a 'we are the world' aesthetic on their runways. I agree with birdofparadise. It's her company and she can do whatever she wants. And surely Middle Eastern, Asian, and Indian women and men bring a huge chunk of change to Prada revenue each year, yet they are overlooked as well.

I think overall, Europeans are less concerned with this notion of representing all races. It's a very American thing. Look at a Tommy Hilfiger ad. You see a blonde girl, a brunette, an Asian girl, a black girl, an Indian girl. If Miuccia expresses less interest in this, I think she's only being true to her culture.

14-03-2005
Heated

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofparadise
But...model agencies and bookers, casting agents and the like get paid a lot of money to choose the 'right' girl. You'd be foolish to think for one second that they don't actively, wholeheartedly discriminate. Of course they do, they get paid to do it: She's... too fat, too skinny, too pale, too dark, too black, too white, too known, too blonde, too womanly, too girly. We all remember the BBC's expose on the Elite Agency and top level exective Xavier Moreau spouting racist remarks when confronted with black model hopefuls. It's the nature of the beast. I think we're all well aware that we don't live in some candy coated world in which all wrongs are righted and people actually think for themselves. We can't nail Prada to the cross--there are too many in line before her.
Absolutely agree. Let's not be naive here.

Last edited by metal-on-metal; 14-03-2005 at 08:32 AM.

14-03-2005
V.I.P.

metal-on-metal. . . i absolutely agree with your post. it is ABSOLUTELY not a coincedence. come on people. . . . 6 years???? she would have had to intentionally not include naomi, alek, liya, yasmin, etc etc. all these successful models doing all the other shows.

it IS her company and she CAN do whatever she wants with it. maybe she herself is not racist. maybe she is. we won't know unless someone asks her. but her ideals are CLEARLY aimed at a white eurocentric demographic.

and though i respect people who want to still wear her clothes and buy her bags, i am officially boycotting the label. my OPINION is that this is a calculated move to only sell to a very specific demographic (which in itself is FINE. . . do we really think that whites are targetted to buy Rocawear? or Babyphat? no.) however, since i have no interest in being any part of a specific group, i guess i'm done with prada.

14-03-2005
backstage pass

We need a happy thread now. Designers we love! Who wants to start it??? Me!

I love Dries Van Noten because he does really good knitwear and puts them on all kinds of chicks and dudes!

Last edited by birdofparadise; 14-03-2005 at 09:12 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diversity, modeling, racial