How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

^ it may feel that way but i think it's more of an American attitude vs. European.

*it's not racist if they have had girls , regardless of the lack there of, who have been of color. whether or not if it's for marketing ploy/consumer target

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

and to bring Jourdan Dunn recently , i say that's not racist at all.

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

Not necessarily. Maybe they felt pressured. And Jordan Dunn is the ONLY black girl they are using. That says a lot

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

one thing with Prada they don't succumbed to being PC just so they can score a market share.

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

for example ... college/university acceptance in a highly coveted IVY league (american educational system), are often pressured to take in students of different race/color so the ratio is balanced , disregarding the ranking of high school grades and curriculum. I feel Prada is not the same way with who they want their models to be and/or who they want their clothes to be worn for ....i don't know how to explain it without sounding ignorant or prejudice

Last edited by smartarse; 23-02-2008 at 03:05 PM.

23-02-2008
windowshopping

All the posts about how it's not really racism, it's just that non-white girls don't fit the aesthetics of Prada crack me up. So really? Judging, preferring and hiring people based on their skin color isn't racism? Well then, I guess nothing is.

23-02-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushie View Post
Arghhhhh......... This is what everyone thinks
If a show uses white models people will think its racist because there aren't any black models, so if a show does black and white models, they're racist towards asian models, and they're leaving out indian models, then it goes on and on and on and on and on! THEY MIGHT AS WELL FIT THE WHOLE BLOOMING WORLD ON THE RUNWAY.
Do you get it?
Agreed. And if they use too many of one race, then it's that they are racist or trying too hard to impress one group.
To the first post on this thread, America is about 80% if not more white (Europe is probably the same percent, if not more). If we are going to do the whole "where are the black models" give me a break. And then lets do the hispanic, asian, middle eastern, red, blue, etc. I mean if you look back at the late 80's early 90's half the models were black. And people complained that there were not enough. (I've watched the tapes of the shows from that time and barely noticed one white model.) I don't see any point in this, designers choose the best models and I don't really think that race is crossing their mind.

Think of it this way, certain heritages are prominent on the catwalk. Russians, brazillians, etc. What race are they?

Last edited by L0VE; 23-02-2008 at 03:49 PM.

23-02-2008
Rive Gauche. Rive Droite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Not necessarily. Maybe they felt pressured. And Jordan Dunn is the ONLY black girl they are using. That says a lot
I think it is a start. I don't agree with everything that Prada has done, after hearing your story, however, that was 10 years ago, and rewind to today (or this past week), an African-American model was cast in the show. You have to give some credit, not that it should be such a hard decision for designers to make IMO as people of all colors buy the clothing.

23-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushie View Post
Arghhhhh......... This is what everyone thinks
If a show uses white models people will think its racist because there aren't any black models, so if a show does black and white models, they're racist towards asian models, and they're leaving out indian models, then it goes on and on and on and on and on! THEY MIGHT AS WELL FIT THE WHOLE BLOOMING WORLD ON THE RUNWAY.
Do you get it?
I have to disagree with this. Yes, people will fight for more ethnicity on the runway, but once again, it is a start. I think it is more refreshing to have a good variety of girls walking in the show. I don't always think there has to be a certain ratio of white to black girls or white to asian girls, but to have a few different ethnicities being represented is important.

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

i thought Jourdan Dunn was British

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

She is, but she is black.

23-02-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
She is, but she is black.
i knew she's black. i was confused about her nationality when someone said "...an african-american was just cast"

23-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse View Post
i knew she's black. i was confused about her nationality when someone said "...an african-american was just cast"
Sorry for the mistake, but I am sure you understood that I was pointing out that she is black.

Last edited by LostInNJ; 23-02-2008 at 04:16 PM.

23-02-2008
teenage dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse View Post
....i don't know how to explain it without sounding ignorant or prejudice
i think you already passed that point.

the point is people are bringing up the fact that they have had plenty of opportunities to hire black models but they haven't. They didn't even want scriptgirl to do buisness with them.
Sure the fashion industry as a whole has problems. Sure, some casting agencies don't work with black models. I understand that. I don't agree with it, but I understand why it happens. I really hope the reason why Jourdan was hired in the show was not because that they "wanted to be pc" but because they listened to the criticism.
I think you are trying to defend them based their ignorance. What do you mean by "her look." You mean pale, blonde, and blue eyed? This is racist, whether you want to believe it or not.

And if I sound angry, it's because I am.

Last edited by kahlilg; 23-02-2008 at 04:31 PM.

23-02-2008
User Friendly

sorry I didn't want to get into this debate, but I had to put my two cents in..

to say that we shouldn't complain that there is a lack of diversity because America is 80% white and that we shouldn't complain about lack of black models because then we would have to put more asian models, then more indian models.. then more models from etc etc...

So lets just solve the whole issue by not even discussing it and casting all white models???

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diversity, modeling, racial