Return of the Supermodel? - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2015
backstage pass

I mean they're not remotely as known as Claudia, Kate, Linda, Cindy, Naomi... who were known by every living being on this planet, but they're pretty famous, which is always good.

18-08-2015
V.I.P.

The Kendalls and Gigis of the fashion world could held the supermodel title but only because standars are so low and social media took over, there was a view shifting. If a supermodel was considered someone who had general public name recognition, high fashion and commercial work and runway work then yes, we can say that Kendall is a supermodel (I'm choking just typing this sentence)... not even Karlie has all that.
But the quality of the skill set is not the same, these girls in a few months or years will shift interests and people will forget they were ever models.
The term supermodel as we knew it can no longer apply to any model anymore, in my opinion.

20-08-2015
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokobombon View Post
If a supermodel was considered someone who had general public name recognition, high fashion and commercial work and runway work then yes, we can say that Kendall is a supermodel (I'm choking just typing this sentence)... not even Karlie has all that.
I'm sorry, but huh? Karlie does have all of those things you listed. Your reasoning behind naming Kendall a "supermodel" and Karlie not one makes absolutely no sense.

Tbh I'm almost hoping that the industry brings on a new wave of androgynous/anti-social media models that wipe most of the socialite models from this generation. Out of all the "it" girls of the moment, the only ones I want to really see stick around are Joan & Karlie.

20-08-2015
V.I.P.

^ I meant that technically Kendall can be considered a supermodel, not that she actually is (after mentioning the elements once were factored into the making of a supermodel).
Karlie doesn't have the general public recognition, does she? people not interested in fashion don't know who she is or recognize by name alone, do they? I think that's a key factor in naming someone a supermodel. Because of the shifting in the fashion world, girls like Kendall who are big in social media and have tv fame have that. And because of that (the exposure they have and the headlines they bring), they also have HF & commercial contracts and runway work.
Once upon a time, only talented models could achieve all that

Last edited by kokobombon; 20-08-2015 at 05:06 AM.
20-08-2015
V.I.P.

^Hmmm I think Karlie is pretty recognized by the general public. Of course not to the same extent as Kendall, but she is Taylor Swift's best friend & she just created a youtube channel. Most young girls definitely know who she is. I think if we were to change the definition of a supermodel, it would be a girl with at least 1 million followers AND an impressive body of work that remains consistently high for 3+ years. Most of these newer "instagirls" haven't been around long enough to be called supermodels. A lengthy. blue-chip resume has to be taken into account when determining whether a model is super.

Last edited by valliaddict; 20-08-2015 at 05:23 AM.

20-08-2015
V.I.P.

I think from new girls Cara must be the only one who is as recognisable as the Supers were... However, she seems to be into acting more these days...I guess it is much easier to be an actress these days and get modelling jobs;-)

20-08-2015
V.I.P.

Sad thing is that talented models were replaced with celebrities on fashion covers and campaigns in the mid 2000s and now their offspring and these celebrity models are taking even more work from them.
Is harder and harder for a new model to mantain a certain resume these days, isn't it? so in that sense, I do agree that Karlie is probably the latest model that can be considered a super. But like I said, the term can no longer be applied as it used to...

22-08-2015
backstage pass

I think this discussion is pointless.
The "supermodels" were a phenomenon specific to a certain era and they were in some ways a sign of the times.
With the rise of social media and insta-everything anybody can command attention (even if only for a day).
In my opinion there are no supermodels post-Gisele.
Girls like Karlie or Joan may be "famous" (which is NOT an accomplishment btw) but they are not supermodels like Gisele or Kate or Naomi were/are.
I don't think a model can will herself to become a supermodel.
No matter how hard a girl tries to work the social media circuit becoming a supermodel takes a heck of a lot more than media exposure.
I for one could care less if we don't have another supermodel. I support and follow the women who seem to invest themselves in the work of modeling and can sell the heck out of anything.
Models like Daria, Liya, Karen, Raquel, Natasha---these are women who command respect within the industry and have longevity + work ethic. It doesn't matter that they're not "famous" because their work speaks for itself and that is the ultimate accomplishment.

22-08-2015
Fat Karl

^^Absolutely agree. Gisele is the last supermodel in the true/classic sense of the word.

We don't live in a social climate anymore where a fashion model will be celebrated as superstars as they once were. You have to remember that the Supermodel era was in large part because Hollywood was not a glamorous industry in the early 90's....you had actresses like Laura Dern, Holly Hunter, Jodie Foster, etc. (all of whom are great, but definitely not glamorous or fashionable), so Christy, Kate, Naomi, Linda and Cindy all provided the world that unabashed, decadent glamour, beauty and scandal that Hollywood was not.

Now that celebrities and actors and actresses, reality TV stars and musicians all are so linked with fashion, a model doesn't really stand a chance to become a sensation in the same way as the original Supermodels. They just can't compete. Karlie Kloss can't outsell a magazine cover featuring Taylor Swift, no matter her efforts. The supermodel era was unique in that the models WOULD and DID sell more than their celebrity counterparts.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 22-08-2015 at 01:47 PM.
22-08-2015
fashion insider

Hmm. I don't even know if I would consider Gisele a supermodel.

Last edited by Elite13; 22-08-2015 at 08:55 PM.
23-08-2015
V.I.P.

that so called "supermodel era from the 80īs" is history. that period will nowadays never come back.
i think we can today divide into groups:
- topmodels (who have much hight paid work for a short period of time)
- celebrity models(children from very important person, social media girls to win the support of the masses)
- veterans and flashcombacker models(are bookded for "that's what gives it that extra something")
- voles models (big brigade newcomers who are very involved to reach topmodel status for a brief span and is replaeced quick with a lots of new voles models ...)

23-08-2015
backstage pass

Gisele is a super-celebrity-men-hunter. DiCaprio was her first heavyweight prey (2000), then Chris Evans, Tom Brady...

24-08-2015
trendsetter

I think only the ONE comparison we can make between the late 80s-early 90s and today is the element of individual recognition of models in the fashion industry. The way Naomi, Linda and Kate were instantly recognized and followed in a Calvin Klein show, girls like Gigi, Kendall and Karlie are recognized and followed in a Michael Kors show. However unlike those days, the recognition is not due to talent or being a muse, it's due to a celebrity following and a strong social media presence.. having 5 million people follow you on instagram is now what gets you to walk in shows and earn you campaigns. Although she's been incredibly successful prior.. lets face it.. Karlie got an even bigger career boom from being Taylor Swift's friend and being featured on Taylor's instagram. Gigi's known for her strong social media presence and has strong friendships with famous people. Kendall's been a huge celebrity and has a cult following and that's really what helped her launch a career. They don't serve as muses the way Linda, Christie, Cindy and Naomi did to Versace and Meisel, they serve as a marketing prop.

rising star

It is the modelling industry that has changed. I think this perennial supermodel word needs a retooling because of the tech operated world of today or new business models that emerged. We've seen that with Zara with it's fast-fashion or also applications based on the Uber business model that do not require models to be necessarily sponsored by agencies anymore. I think the nostalgic will simply have to adapt to the fact that the criterias have changed from the early 2000's and that they can not be relevant anymore in today's industry.

Actually, the quote from Karlie below raises an interesting point as of finally, what if the supermodels of today are simply just the ones to have the most followers on social medias ? In that case then, how logical it would be to use past criterias for a present situation ?

I think where she really has interesting points.

Social media equalizes and increased polyvalence : I find it interesting that models have been able to regain power with the help of social media. I found certain initiatives very interesting (e.g. like the the cooking show Jourdan held on YouTube) which provided a different look on models which is a big blow and counter-argument for those who advocated that they were just walking cloth-hangers. It showed that they can have very nice photography taste, gastronomy or some other things that I regularly see on Instagram.

They can draw a big amount of non fashion fans and it really participates in its democratization. For example, my cousins hated fashion because of the conformism that they thought it to have but adored Cara Delevingne's personality and started following her at the point of also starting to like fashion.

Also, "social media supermodels" have really made the links between different domains [travelling, gastronomy, lifestyle...] and modelling more visible and that were difficulty perceptible in magazines especially for the younger generation who do not like to read but are very aware of videos and pictures. And, yes also, it is FREE.

I think the today's "supermodel" has to be extremely polyvalent and flexible to engage and interest an audience while also being good at her main job.

Today's supermodel = having a solid social media account : I don't think you can occult the business side of fashion as much as certain fans are trying to do. At the end of the day, brands ARE brands and their goal is to market their products to largest possible audience [this even if they would not have the means to purchase immediately]. And that's the where the "social supermodels" play a very big role. Many of the big luxury brands are very "uptight" on social media by fear of ubiquity, diluting their brand etc. and using the social media power of the girls to possibly monetize that public in the future is an interesting method.

I actually think it's a win-win. Modelling as a whole regained power and the brands can diffuse to their audience without taking big risks with their image or with their finance.

While fashion has strong traditions that it is struggling to keep up with, things are only just starting to get completely deregulated and modelling is probably the easiest place to start for entrepreneurs who have ideas, hence, redefining the notion of supermodel that emerged 15 to 20 years ago.

Quote:
"[Social media] democratizes what is popular and who is powerful," she said. "I think it's incredible that a blogger who has a really great voice can earn a front row seat at a show."

But Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook not only furthers bloggers' careers—they've become vital parts of a model's job requirements, too.

"It's an interesting sign of the times that models are being booked for jobs and covers because of their following on a social media platform," Kloss commented. "I walked in the Balmain show for Olivier Rousteing. If you rounded up all the numbers of the majority of his line-up, there would be upwards of 10, 15 million followers."
Source : Harper's Bazaar

Last edited by constanceMafioso; 25-08-2015 at 02:55 AM.
25-08-2015
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite13 View Post
Hmm. I don't even know if I would consider Gisele a supermodel.
Gisele is definitely a supermodel...or even one step above a supermodel...an ubermodel. Top paid model in the world, done pretty much every runway/campaign possible, very well known household name. More importantly she's a muse to all the big name designers, photographers, and editors.

Even Naomi Campbell and other 90s supers acknowledge Gisele's power as a supermodel/ubermodel.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
return, supermodel