How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-01-2010
rising star

I just think there is something wrong with the dates collections are presented and come in stores etc. The concept of big fashion shows in several cities doens't bother me so much. It really helps understand the vision of the designer. (A giant caroussel for that part doens't interest me, (no offence, Karl) but for example Dries Van Noten always creates such a beautiful context for these clothes with his show setting).
But the fact that spring/summer items are already in store, and the winter hasn't even begun is so weird. And the fact that men's wear is presented over a year before the actual season?!
Also, couldn't the industry make more money by selling these clothes on a later date? The sales of winter clothes start before winter arrives, so everyone will wait with buying that winter coat until the sales begin. By having the items come in the stores at a later time, and having the sales at a later time, people will buy that winter coat at full price, because they need one at that moment.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for sales and not paying retail as much as possible, but I find it strange that the industry hasn't realised this. But then again this may result in fewer customers.

21-01-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

it's not unfair at all. all of that spectacle gets inserted into shows mostly to get publicity for the brand as a whole and for the other product offerings like beauty, fragrance, accessories, etc. also, it doesn't matter if we're in good economic times or bad, there exists a segment of the population that will work themselves into a frenzy if they're favorite celebrity wears something from one of these brands. the celebrity effect works for big and small designers alike.

what's more unfair to these designers remains all of the resort and pre-fall collections and campaigns that the fashion community has embraced across the board. it's hard enough to produce two collections a year as a start up brand, but now one's expected to try to turn out four with ad campaigns to boot?!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
change, fashion, seasons, shows, time