How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-01-2011
V.I.P.

this topic started in the Most Model Views thread, but I figured it belonged here instead. I still think that sometimes there is a clear difference between nudity done well, but I remember reading from a user here in an old thread that if you take into consideration the average people in the world (not directly related to fashion) then it becomes clear that sometimes even though nudity may be thoughtfully done, to others it can still come across looking just like the other nudity in playboy or maxim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelton123 View Post
That is NOT TRUE at all. There is a BIG different between the nudity in Vogue Italia, Numero, VP, etc. and the nudity in playboy, maxim, etc.

But from a teenage boy's standpoint (because I am one, lol) I can say that the nudity in VI, Numero, and VP (high fashion nudity) is even MORE intriguing to me than the typical nudity. It's much more alluring, smart, and intriguingly sexy. It leaves you wanting more of it. But from most teenage boys' standpoints, they'd rather see the playboy type nudity
I used to agree with you on that difference between nudity in playboy and vogue italia, but the topic at hand is how many views a model gets. What I meant by naked is naked is naked is that you can find high fashion models like Lara or Eniko amongst other trashy types of nudity floating around on the internet.

for example:

1. http://guyism.com/celebrities/why-ar...hion-mags.html - in regard to W Magazine with Daria, Kate, and Lara

2. http://www.nsfwpoa.com/2010/03/kate-...798d06dba2467b - in Regards to Love Magazine issue

3. http://www.totallycrap.com/magazine/..._self_service/ - in Regards to Eniko M. editorial for Self Service

both of these websites show the editorials for models like Lara, Eniko, and the ladies that were featured completely nude for Love magazine among titles like "Dita Von Teese completely naked for Hustler" and "Madison Welch showing her tits for Zoo" or "Larissa Riquelme naked for Playboy Brazil in 3-D"

what agee was saying is that when page views come are concerned people who see pictures of these girls would be more likely to look them up and view those pages moreso than other models.

but in a bigger perspective, these horny guys aren't looking at these pictures going "Oh what beautiful Dior scarf she's wearing" while looking at these images. They are looking at them because they are naked. period.

at the same time, I'm no prude, and I still do enjoy the tastefully done nudity. but as for where the real difference is...I'm not sure there's really a fine line anymore

Last edited by fantastical; 23-01-2011 at 06:34 PM.

24-01-2011
rising star

Just some food for thought. A lot of the comments are directed to "if i see naked bodyparts, it wont make me want to buy that item" but remember that with editorial fashion photographer, the main purpose is not always to directly sell the contents of the editorial, but rather to convey an idea, a concept, a feeling/emotion. Now, granted, the content of the editorial today is mostly based on what ads are running in the magazine, but the primary objective of an editorial shouldn't be to be just a free advertisement for the designer/label featured. It is supposed to evoke something in the viewer that you probably wont get through the advertisement.

Now of course this doesnt just apply to nudity in editorials but to any kind of provoking imagery really.

The sad part comes if the ads are actually better done and more thoughtprovoking than the editorials

windowshopping

I really like nudity in the fashion, because it shows that fashion don't consider only clothes. Nudity can create a good atmosphere for some kind of clothes.

14-02-2011
front row

I don't want to start a disagreement with anyone, but since OP asked... I feel like vulgar nudity and overt sexuality should not be associated with fashion. Fashion is art and "selling sex" is for profit (ex. Tom Ford's scandalous perfume editorial). But it's happened. And there's nothing I can do about it.

It's kinda like what Hedi Slimane did with Dior Homme, combing rock music with fashion, but that makes much more sense compared to putting a bottle of perfume in front of a vagina.

It's a gimmick because it's hard to be really creative.

you soft and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Fashion is art and "selling sex" is for profit (ex. Tom Ford's scandalous perfume editorial).
But fashion is a business as well.

14-02-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
But fashion is a business as well.
Yeah, that's true, but I don't like to acknowledge it because fashion for me is, first and foremost, art.

You could say the same thing about music. Music is a form of art, but it's become a business factory sending out Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, etc.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menace View Post
Yeah, that's true, but I don't like to acknowledge it because fashion for me is, first and foremost, art.

You could say the same thing about music. Music is a form of art, but it's become a business factory sending out Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, etc.
Agree about the sad state of music and I know fashion is a business but it is not meant to be exploitative. I see fashion more like an art, like you. In fact, I went from fine arts into my career in fashion. (New career now, though.)

There is a line between exploitation and art. People like Terry Richardson, whose aestheic I loathe, for e.g.,have crossed it.

18-08-2011
front row

Source: Cracked.com

What is going on in that ad? They must be trying to appeal to the gay gang rapist market.

front row

Initially, I thought the same...until I began to study it. There's a lot going on here, for me, and I am now far more intrigued by the image than disturbed. How the image is cropped, the details which the director/photographer didn't include fascinate me. I'm wondering about the figure wearing dark clothes, what his significance is, as opposed to the others. Both the dark dressed figure and the guy with his legs spread seem to be regarding the nude chap more analytically than sexually.

This doesn't usually happen to me. I see overtly sexual imagery and I am bored. This, however, is another matter.

V.I.P.

bp.blogspot.com, miqrogroove.com

21-08-2011
V.I.P.

^ I often think of that ad when people try to paint Tom Ford and high fashion in general as always classy and refined.

11-09-2011
rising star

I totally agree with Shelton123 on nudity being more alluring than the one in playboy, where nowadays all you is artificial implants and photoshop plastic skin.

And I have always wondered whether its the designers getting a kick out of having boys/ girls being nude in front of them... that photographer Richardson comes to mind.

11-09-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
I rather liked the way that ad campaign was a riff on the 1971 Sieff shot of Yves himself, for the "Homme" perfume. That Tom Ford chose to go one step further and to dispense with the shadows in favour of a frontal shot... that was his way of adding a new layer of controversy onto the concept for a modern audience.

I can only remember the second shot running as an actual print ad in Vogue Paris, although I'm sure it turned up in some other publications.

But even if I discount Tom Ford forever needing to come up with visual tricks to sell products, I would still admire the image for being rather beautiful. Here we have "man as he is" - nothing added, nothing hidden, no game being played, and certainly, no photoshop deforestation of his body hair into a flat, plastic landscape of skin. He's a man, he's all man, no more, no less.

Women's nudity is so endemic that we've come to accept it as an essential part of our culture that's supposed to exist for the benefit of both sexes, whereas men's nudity is something that's still rationed.
Yes! Yes! You are so right! It annoys the skivvies out of me to have breasts and bums and long legs come flying at you with such regularity; it makes one think of a woman as the only sexual being here. Whereas I, and I do believe I'm not alone here, think men are equally as beautiful.

12-09-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecheeks View Post
Whereas I, and I do believe I'm not alone here, think men are equally as beautiful.
I hope you are all alone on this. We men are not 'meant' to be beautiful. We are meant to be masculine, rough & tough! And we want to keep it that way.

12-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection

^^
i think you need to read the dictionary and possibly relearn the definition of beauty...
and it is ridiculous for you to speak for all men...
since you clearly have absolutely no authority to do so...

such narrow minded thinking is really unattractive by the way...imho...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, nudity, sex