How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: Should Emmanuelle Alt leave Vogue Paris?
Yes 131 52.61%
No 118 47.39%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

11-07-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
No one is comparing Alt to Carine. But now that you do, flipping through Carine's issues was usually exciting, she created a very personal vocabulary, she had identity and it was funny sometimes...

Alt's Vogue Paris lacks all of that. Everything she does looks washed-out. The only thing she has brought in is mediocrity. Vogue Paris is wandering under her leadership. It was becoming so annoying I had to stop buying it...
Of course EVERYONE is comparing Alt to Carine. People haven't been doing anything else, since Alt became editor. This everything Carine did was usually exciting is revisionism. Looking back it really had the excitement of the new, but that didn't stop anyone from criticising the quality of Carine's output every single issue.

Some people are clearly tired of the VP aesthetic, and that's fair enough. That's type of criticism i can understand. But the vocabulary Carine was known for was created with Alt. Alt was chosen to become an editor because the VP aesthetic created in Carine's reign became a very successful VP trademark. Alt was the most obvious choice, that aesthetic is her doing also.
Reading all this comments i do not envy Alt's position to be honest, i think it's unfair to ask for her own vision, when her own vision is totally interlaced with Carine's vision. We've been seeing her own vision in numerous pages of VP for years. She will never be able to create something totally new again. Alt is indeed softer and less "old world" than Carine and that has been clear in her direction, but VP is basically the same. Maybe that's the real problem, if you like VP or not now will depend of how much you want VP to remain the same.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 11-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.

11-07-2012
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
It's not... You just have to have the vision. Stefano's YSL had nothing to do with Tom's YSL.
I don't think it's fair to compare designing a fashion collection to running a magazine... they're two completely different businesses.

and designers often need a a few seasons to find their footing within a brand as well.

11-07-2012
fashion insider

^ Also, conditions in both businesses change notoriously rapidly...

I find the magazine has become very one-note. Emmanuelle hasn't done a very good job of reinventing herself as EIC vs. Fashion Director. The magazine needs more diversity in the overall style and vision. It's become quite singular and in turn alienated many readers.

I don't necessarily think she needs to leave, though, simply mix it up a bit. She's certainly not a terrible editor and there's a reason she got her job in the first place. IMO, she just needs to venture out and make a few unexpected decisions here and there.

11-07-2012
V.I.P.

No. August cover aside, I think Alt has produced some great work. In my opinion, of the three big editions, Alt has the most refreshing magazine. She doesn't seem to take fashion so seriously and she's not looking to be pretentious. She almost has a wink or a sense of humor about it. Also, in time when everyone fire for big, loud, overindulgent, her magazine feels almost minimalist. She's not Carine and I couldn't be happier about it. Finally, she uses Snejana, if at least once in a while.
Posted via Mobile Device

11-07-2012
V.I.P.

Yes, I do. Nothing that she did for this magazine excited me so far, NOTHING. Everything is dull, repetitive, uninspired, monotonous, one-dimensional... you name it. I was never a big fan of Alt during Carine's era, I don't think she's on the Top 10 best stylists in the world even. Love her personal style, think she's a nice person, but she's not doing a good job as EIC. The excitement, the innovation, the irreverence of VP is gone, and I don't exactly see what "fresh" or "new" she doing. I know it's hard to be the replacement of the great Carine Roitfeld, but it's just no working. I do think, however, that she deserves one more year, but I don't have high hopes. I say keep Marie-Amélie Sauvé on speed dial.

rising star

Well, i don't think that the problem is only Alt but the whole team. I have loved VP under Carine because it has been different point of view of fashion but now not. I can't make the difference between Alt's, Saglio's and Safyurtlu's editorials because they are the same vision : rock, effortless, feminine and so boring. I think this team don't know catch the essence of different collection except for these collections like Balmain/Mar ant. Then, for me, Alt isn't a team leader as Roitfeld, Wintour, Sozzani.

fashion icon

I have some issues with the covers that Emmanuelle Alt's produced at EIC but I don't think she should be fired because I think she needs time to properly create her own vision of the magazine. I think my main issue is that the covers stars aren't varied, I mean Kate Moss has been on the cover three times in 15 months! That's a lot. I wish Alt would have more diversity in her coverstars, some women of color would be nice to see, and that she wouldn't always use the same models. However, I do like that she continues to put models on the cover because lot's of Vogue's haven't done that in a long time. For all of my complaining I do think she's produced some pretty solid covers. And it will take time for her to hone her own vision. We need to allow her time to make these decisions before we jump down her throat and then show her the door.

Like many people have said before, much of Carine's iconic covers/editorials during her tenure as EIC were because of Alt's styling which is slightly problematic because when it's come time for her to create her own Vogue Paris it's very similar to Carine's so some people she isn't creating her own magazine. Which is so unfair to Alt, she should be given credit where credit is due. Yet, I wonder, if it wouldn't be better for her to change up the style direction of VP in order to move away from the "era of Carine" so she can truly come into her own.

front row

sorry this is the most random poll i ve ever seen it here i agreed with JuiceMajor its created just becoz someone cant accept the reality that has happened a year and a half ago as for me I prefer EA than CR so she should stay and leave her alone she is doing her fine and its fine

11-07-2012
backstage pass

I don't love Alt and was actually really disappointed with some of her issues but I can't imagine a better editor for VP at the moment. She is what Parisian Vogue is all about - a strong stylish woman who knows what she is doing, enjoys herself and genuinely loves fashion. Yes, Carine's version of Vogue was more artful and interesting to talk about but Alt's Vogue is what a real Parisian woman wants and needs.

11-07-2012
V.I.P.

Yes, absolutely. Carine's way of doing business was so low and dirty in her last years and Emmanuelle is just a toned down extension of it, except she's very limited in the creative department, at least Carine explored sexuality and vulgarity through all possible outlets, this woman is all about short shorts and thick knits in all of her spheres of influence, doesn't get more innovative than that. And yes, she's done pretty covers for VP, but I want a lot more than 'pretty' from Vogue Paris.. which I still associate with the city that's the heart of fashion and where all trends and ideas run [more] freely.

I still can't believe they didn't have the guts to fire her too when they could.. same for Wintour, but I don't think that's ever been considered.

Last edited by MulletProof; 11-07-2012 at 02:36 PM.
11-07-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheItGirl View Post
I don't love Alt and was actually really disappointed with some of her issues but I can't imagine a better editor for VP at the moment. She is what Parisian Vogue is all about - a strong stylish woman who knows what she is doing, enjoys herself and genuinely loves fashion. Yes, Carine's version of Vogue was more artful and interesting to talk about but Alt's Vogue is what a real Parisian woman wants and needs.
I absolutely agree with what I've bolded. Alt's content is the same as Carine's, with a little bit more emphasis on the text/features, and made the magazine more commercial - which isn't a bad thing in CN's eyes. It's all about making money, and by increasing the commercial nature of the magazine, Alt is only helping, rather than hindering.

A few TFS members saying they're not buying it any more isn't going to cause Condé to fire Alt, not in the slightest...

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmycolin View Post
Alt's content is the same as Carine's, with a little bit more emphasis on the text/features, and made the magazine more commercial - which isn't a bad thing in CN's eyes. It's all about making money, and by increasing the commercial nature of the magazine, Alt is only helping, rather than hindering.
Carine nearly doubled the circulation of the magazine with her genuine approach... Let's see if Kate Moss disguised as David Bowie can beat that.

11-07-2012
she's got the look

I'm quite unsure about it. Some months ago I would probably say yes but nowadays I've changed my mind. I really dislike the huge collections editorials they do twice a year, but they've done this since Carine was in charge.
I don't really like Emmanuelle's work as a stylist, it's always too predictable, but when it comes to EIC she manages to keep it nice. I love the fact that Glen Luchford has become a regular contributor and even though I can't really remember something too remarkable right now, there were other editorials/collaborations which looked really good. She also delivered an amazing work with Testino... Laetitia's spread was fantastic.
As far as I remember, Carine's first years were very experimental too, but in a riskier way. I loved that period but when Baron became the creative director (or artistic, I'm not sure) the magazine's quality got even better. I feel the same for Interview, which is definitely my favorite magazine of the moment.

When in doubt, wear red.

I'm sorry but I find this question quite stupid, especially when Emmanuelle is getting more and more comfortable in her new position. You can feel there's a real improvement @ VP in the last 4 issues, an improvement not only from her first issues as an EIC but also from Carine's final years. They failed with their August cover yes ! but if every editor was sacked everytime they don't deliver a perfect cover that'd be quite ridiculous.
Alt VP maybe more commercial and less bold creatively but at least she does it right.
My only real complain is her repetitive model cast in every issue. It is silly and frankly bad, if a big publication like Vogue Paris doesn't support new faces and diversity how can we expect the whole fashion industry to move forward.

trendsetter

When you look abck at the covers she has under her belt...I remember at-least 6 of them being RAVED about in the forums.

Last August and Octobers covers were fantastic! Like every magazine, there are hits and misses.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alt, emmanuelle, leave, paris, vogue