How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-12-2010
backstage pass

I would just like to point out that I don't think that celebrities move merchandise as much as they move magazines. Celebrities are on the cover of the magazines to get people to buy magazines but models are still used for the editorials and for the inside pieces to move merchandise.... Just my observation.

08-12-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by markese91 View Post
I would just like to point out that I don't think that celebrities move merchandise as much as they move magazines. Celebrities are on the cover of the magazines to get people to buy magazines but models are still used for the editorials and for the inside pieces to move merchandise.... Just my observation.
i dont think it is correct.
The celebrities are used to sell. Chanel, LV, Dior to name a few for top brands, but also Mango, H&M to name few more popular, all make quiet big use of celebrities to advertise what they want to sell.

If the editorials are a bit protected of that trends it is only because compare to the biggest part of the magazines, the edito is the part the less compromised by commercial "messages".

08-12-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
And for me, all the jobs I get within a year are worth the 8 days a year I get to shoot an editorial and the 6 days my booker makes me test/practice in front of the camera.
I think that's the key here that a lot of people don't really see. As someone who shoots both paid, and free tests, trying to land some editorials, that's huge. If I'm doing a free test, which, unless you're a top name photographer, is basically the same thing as an editorial(in terms of compensation), I'm DEFINITELY going to shoot the girl who has put in the work and has a better book with better tests and/or editorials/tears, not the one who is coming to me with polaroids and a smile. If I were paying a model for an advertisement/editorial/lookbook/whatever, I'd pick the same one.

In general I don't think models should be paid MUCH more for editorials than they are. $150-250 for Vogue is a little low, but I also hate the fact that a ton of photographers don't get paid for editorials either at small to medium sized(and most likely some large) magazines.

front row

$100-$250 is generous for editorial. The rest of the crew (stylists, photographers, etc) are paid the same, so why should the models (who are just replacable props) get paid more?

09-12-2010
tfs star

I think models should get a decent salary for editorials, despite all that "investment-advert" B****e.
Two things:
~It requires time
~It requires skills
Therefore, it's work.
Therefore, it has to be payed.

09-12-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwyn View Post
$100-$250 is generous for editorial. The rest of the crew (stylists, photographers, etc) are paid the same, so why should the models (who are just replacable props) get paid more?
firstly, for a very simple reason, it is that when your "image" is used, you receive money not just for the work in itself but for the use of your image!
make up girl or styilst have not their image used!

and by the way, dont think that top stylist/make up/ photographer work for 150$ a day in top editorials)

11-12-2010
chaos reigns

but does a stylist/make up artist makes as much as a model once landing a campaign?

I think not .. and there, to me, its the biggest difference!

fashion elite

^ but regardless of campaign or not the hairstylist/make-up artists don't have their image plastered all over the place. Models should be paid a bit more for that one reason alone.

11-12-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplethistle View Post
^ but regardless of campaign or not the hairstylist/make-up artists don't have their image plastered all over the place. Models should be paid a bit more for that one reason alone.
exactly.
and the campaign tariff are defined depending of that particular use...a world campaign is paid much more than a US only campaign. A print campaign only is paid less than campaign also on web, etc...

By the way as far as i know, it has also some influence on the make-up or hair fee, but of course not in same proportion as for the model.

I think to compare model tariff and make u tariff has really no sense, it just 2 category of jobs completely different. there are MANY elements which varies a lot which makes the model tariff (as for photographer tariff), for make up, well, there is also no element of that kind at all.

12-12-2010
V.I.P.

Haven't been following the entire thread but just to answer the question, I agree they should be paid more but no more than what a stylist/makeup artist/hairstylist/photographer makes in the same story. Beauty campaigns are a completely different story and it is all about their image and the sales they generate thanks to it, editorials are not really about their image, they (ideally) are about clothes, about inspiring the viewer not just to purchase specific pieces but also to establish a trend or a general mood (which a consumer will eventually fall for and adhere to), a model's face and body does contribute by bringing it all to 'human' grounds but not in a more important way than a stylist's assemblage of THE product, which actually requires more training, the same physical work (ironing, sewing, hanging, folding, etc) throughout the shooting just so it's captured by the camera exactly the way it should be (reason why having an assistant isn't even enough- just look at Panos Yiapanis and the entire army he needs just to get every one of these pieces going). And of course, the work of people like Odile Gilbert or Peter Philips, although overlooked by the assumption that the model just looks that way, it's highly detailed, extremely artistic and takes years to master so I actually do think that, although models are hard workers just like anyone else, only a tiny minority of them is irreplaceable, especially at this time and age when they no longer have the creative input Supermodels got away with, so that to me justifies a lower payment.

That being said, $125 is in my opinion a terrible number, not just for a model but for anyone involved in the creation of imagery and I think that, for a Condé Nast publication with some of the most exclusive brands at its advertisers and clearly high standards for who gets to contribute (not any model or any hairstylist or any photographer makes it there), paying less than what a waiter can make in one night is clearly symbolic payment and I think symbolic payments are more appropriate for magazines not devoted to sell, like Encens, instead a major publication where certainly no one makes 'symbolic' appearances or 'symbolic' advertising.

rising star

I have a little experience in modeling and I have rarely been paid ANYTHING for magazine publication. I've been given the same explanation: it's exposure, blah blah blah. I obviously got screwed over because exposure is a good argument when the photos appear in big magazines, otherwise you're pretty much giving free content to a mag that makes money off your back.
However, I find these numbers shocking. I knew editorial wasn't paid much but I tought a magazine like Vogue would pay way more than that.

As for the people who say modeling requires no work: being photogenic & having a good body/face might be luck, but you do have to work your *** off to keep them in perfect condition. A model's work does not start and end in front of the camera, it's a full time dedication.

24-12-2010
flaunt the imperfection

and now you see why i say that if the fashion industry had to actually follow the law in terms of paying a living wage and giving adequate breaks and paying overtime for anything over 8 hrs etc...
the whole industry would come crashing to a halt...

yes- its all true...
editorial rates are $150-$250 for each and every person on the team...
unless the photog is selling the story and getting paid per image...
* in such cases...the photog is the ONLY one getting paid...
everyone else is doing just for the published 'tears' to put in their portfolios...
it is pretty much standard and more often than not...
photographers put their own money into stories for mags like vogue italia, etc...
because their budgets aren't big enough to accomplish everything the photogs want to do...
they do advertising in order to pay for the privilege of doing editorial...
literally...

as for usage rights...
i think it's total BS that only the model and photog get that...
everyone on the team is creating the images..
but because the photog is behind the camera and the model is in front of it...they are the only ones who get paid any usage fees...
everyone else only gets paid for the time on set...
which totally SUCKS...imo...

i mean...there wouldn't be any pics if there wasn't a stylist there with great clothes...
and the amount of time and effort a stylist has to go through to prepare for a story is mental...
everyone else just shows up on the day of the shoot...
but the stylist is running around before and after to get all the clothes and then return them on time...
and they never get paid for the actual number of days they work...
*ie- you might get paid for two days prep...
but you are really working on it for 6 days before and a couple of days after...
it's all quite ridiculous...

Last edited by softgrey; 24-12-2010 at 07:52 PM.
05-01-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
For those who don't know, as a general rule, major fashion magazines like the various editions of Vogue do not pay models for their appearance in their magazines or they are paid very little, like the $150-250 payment noted in post #1 plus expenses.** The logic / justification for this way of doing business is among other things:[list][*] working for a major magazines and being shot by a top photographer is prestigious and highly coveted and that in and of itself is a form of compensation;

That's all very true. Being in a magazine like Vogue will definitely boost a models career, and that in itself is a great career move and shouldnt require a large payment

Last edited by BetteT; 07-01-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Repairing quote.
06-01-2011
tfs star

What sort of prestige comes from working a job that's high class and is expected to pay high class and your only working for $150! I'm not saying a model should be getting paid in the millions or something.. But at least something descent.. I'd say anywhere between 2,500 to 5,000 if it were for Vogue and then less depending on the magazine. It does take time and skill to be able to take great photographs.. Obviously looks don't matter in this industry because all models are different and are celebrated for it..

I do agree that not just models should get paid more.. But photogs and make up artists and stylists as well..

This industry does nothing for some people, and everything for others..

An editor-in-chief would not be where they are if not for these people! So why not pay them more!

I honestly hate this "if I don't do it, somebody else will" rule that they have for models.. Is stupid to think that somebody else is going to disgrace them selves for something like a "job"..

Also, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a model got paid for two things.. Their image being used and for their work. Could it be that the $150 is for their work and maybe is not showing what their getting paid for their image?

06-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.cruz146 View Post

I do agree that not just models should get paid more.. But photogs and make up artists and stylists as well..
or their work and maybe is not showing what their getting paid for their image?
i think the idea that people have in this thread that photograher are not paid more is just plain wrong.
A publication like Vogue just use very established photographers, and even if their tariff for edito are of course much lower than their tariff for commercial works, dont think that photographer of top level takes their camera out for just few hundreds $ per day...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
editorial, models, paid, work