How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-01-2008
V.I.P.

i just hope that as many pieces as possible find their way into museums for everyone to view! that would be only fair...

22-01-2008
front row

@ghost

haute couture is imo the last bit of real fahsion you can find, and the last fashion which wasn't made - at least since 2004 or smth like this - commercial. now even haute couture becomes more unspectacular. but some years ago it was still a way to make fashion art, and that's what fashion really is.
too bad more and more designers are forced to design more commercial just because ppl like us are saying "uff, you coudln't wear this anywhere" ... so they make it the way you could where it everywhere and that's make the fashion which ones was art to normal fashion.

windowshopping

My professor did the archiving for Calvin Klein for years after she graduated FIT. She said what doesn't get stored is usually purchased, lent out, gifted, or sold (sometimes with some sample sales etc.) It really depends on the piece itself I think.

Haute Couture may seem overrated but I also believe that it is truly the birthing ground for new ideas in fashion, true it doesn't make money enough to support itself but thats what ready to wear lines, perfume, and bags come in. Even if you can't afford to wear it or there just isn't an appropriate place to wear it period, that's why it's art. It's not about functionality or affordability, it's about creation.

22-01-2008
V.I.P.

^The problem is that there aren't very many new ideas injected into fashion via haute couture. Everything new and exciting is RTW now, for the most part.

23-01-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
^The problem is that there aren't very many new ideas injected into fashion via haute couture. Everything new and exciting is RTW now, for the most part.
In a way this is true, not many of today´s visionaires have the means to throw a show worth half a million (in whichever currency) so they try and translate their ideas on a budget, thus why what´s truly different is often to be found in the collections of up and coming designers.

However, MOST designer, do not try to be that innovative. MOST designers, try to follow their passion, flourish in their chosen field AND be able to pay the bills. So most of them play the game, they commercialize and try to sell the industrial dream - hence the famous Miranda Priesley "spyral" speach I would not need to quote, since we are all quite familiar with it.

And then of course, there is the other thing.. that everything worth wearing has already been invented. That for the last forty or so years and for all to come, it will be a question of RE-invention. And that everything that is, in deed, invented, is rather a "forced push" that does not come off as something natural, thus has absolutely no chance to persevere and remain.

23-01-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruhche View Post
And then of course, there is the other thing.. that everything worth wearing has already been invented. That for the last forty or so years and for all to come, it will be a question of RE-invention. And that everything that is, in deed, invented, is rather a "forced push" that does not come off as something natural, thus has absolutely no chance to persevere and remain.

Very true.

23-01-2008
rising star

Whoever said only 500 people in the world can afford HC dosn't really know much about economics - no offense. There's almost one thousand dollar billionaries in the world. And what does the most expensive HC creations cost? Probably much, much less than $ 2,000,000. A least 10 million people world wide could easily afford a 2 million dollar dress, I'm pretty sure. And probably most HC-dresses cost $25,000 - not millions.

V.I.P.

^Nonono, there's close to 500 customers of haute couture.

23-01-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Hour man
Whoever said only 500 people in the world can afford HC dosn't really know much about economics - no offense. There's almost one thousand dollar billionaries in the world. And what does the most expensive HC creations cost? Probably much, much less than $ 2,000,000. A least 10 million people world wide could easily afford a 2 million dollar dress, I'm pretty sure. And probably most HC-dresses cost $25,000 - not millions.

What The.Rock.Inc. said was;

'Only approximately 500 people in this world can afford and wear couture clothes, as reported in a newspaper.'

I took that to mean that, out of all the people who could afford to buy HC, only around 500 choose to.

Last edited by chloehandbags; 23-01-2008 at 07:21 AM.
23-01-2008
fashion elite

this is very interesting. Thank you for creating the thread gruhche.

wasn't there a myth that the houses use to burn the clothes? or was that only for ready to wear.

23-01-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_art_style View Post
this is very interesting. Thank you for creating the thread gruhche.

wasn't there a myth that the houses use to burn the clothes? or was that only for ready to wear.
I think it was about ready to wear. I don´t know if you´ve had the chance to read "Deluxe" by Dana Thomas (I highly recommend it), but she talks about that in there. They used to burn the clothes rather than put them on sale, because you want only a certain level of customers being seen in the clothes, in an effort to preserve the illusion of exclusivity.

Funny thing, not as drastic of course, but I think today you can see something asimilar in Europe conserning sales. I live in Vienna and the most we see here is 50% off increadibly exaggerted prices. Whereas most of you know what happens in the States twice a year with that 70%-90% off retail, and on top of that the prices are in dollars. So i think they are a lot more "democratic" in the States when it comes to high fashion. Think about the stores too, here people barely venture into boutiques, the sales ladies are downright intimidating and very snobbish.. And I think that´s very much a part of it, keeping the classes apart should I say..

23-01-2008
fashion elite

from ours days hauture couture is fading away.. the money and the clothes arent worthed to buy and wear just selling them to musea's

fashion elite

thank you for the info gruhche!

23-01-2008
trendsetter

Here is one of the better known collectors:
Mouna Ayoub

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Mouna Ayoub (Arabic:منى أيوب) (born on February 27th 1957(reference needed) is a well-known French socialite and Businesswoman of Christian Lebanese origin. Very mediatized [1], she is often the guest of the Cannes film festival, and make headlines in the French people magazines. When she was 20 years old she converted to Islam to marry Nasser Al-Rashid, a 40 year old businessman and advisor of King Fahd. After eighteen years of marriage she left Saudi Arabia and made a fortune in real estate.
In 1997 she bought the boat of Bernard Tapie [2], Phocéa, for 5.56 million euros to which were added 18.25 million euros of work. To carry this work out Mouna sold a proportion of her jewels including one of the largest yellow diamonds of the world (112.53 carats) for a price of 2.52 million euros (16.5 million francs) and a Bulgari necklace for (15.3 million francs). Mouna Ayoub has owned since the beginning of the 1980s the largest private collection of haute couture, composed of more than 10,000 items, which she continues to add to each season. In 2004, "Arabian Business" Magazine ranked her 45th richest Arab with wealth estimated at $380 million [3].

trendsetter

If I heard right in the HC video on youtube they mention how big the market was for HC in the late 40s and 50s and early 60s before rtw took over. Im wondering if that number was bigger than 500, I would think so but than again I could be wrong.
About the archives the HC at Dior should be a gold mine for whomever follows Mr.Galliano steps at Dior.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
couture, creations, haute