How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-03-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruhche View Post
most couture collections do, that's why they're called couture, because of the complex technique and the elaborate fabric used
well i mean more technologically advanced/integrated couture but i guess thats what hussein chalayan is

13-03-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnii View Post
I like the idea that these women who buy Haute Couture, keep the pieces in their closets and wear them time and time again. Thats so romantic.

I think it is profitable regardless of what people think. The production may cost millions but a woman purchasing 10 pieces per year, can level that expense.

Like Karl Lagerfeld said, there are lots and lots of wealthy people; it's just they prefer to be anonymous.

For all we know, a woman in Dubai could have spent 5 million dollars on Couture in one year. Again - no one knows how profitable it is unless they work in a financing company as part of Chanel or Dior.
wel.. it is a known fact that couture has become a money losing venture...

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnii View Post
I like the idea that these women who buy Haute Couture, keep the pieces in their closets and wear them time and time again. Thats so romantic.

I think it is profitable regardless of what people think. The production may cost millions but a woman purchasing 10 pieces per year, can level that expense.

Like Karl Lagerfeld said, there are lots and lots of wealthy people; it's just they prefer to be anonymous.

For all we know, a woman in Dubai could have spent 5 million dollars on Couture in one year. Again - no one knows how profitable it is unless they work in a financing company as part of Chanel or Dior.
My understand was that they don't wear them more than once or twice though. Most of the pieces are worn at highly publicized events and their owner would not run the risk of committing a social faux-pas such as being seen in the same gown twice.

What I found very interesting, however, in the "Secret World of HC" video, was that if a person kept their haute couture creation in a good shape for 15-20 years or so, they could donate it to a museum, and write the entre cost as a tax write-off. Now that makes it more than a worthwhile investment!

14-03-2008
V.I.P.

couture is the art of fashion.

the height of man's creative genius.

But satisfaction brought it back
14-03-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruhche View Post
I found this very informative article you might enjoy: http://lifestyle.indianetzone.com/fa...ion_design.htm

For those that would rather not read it, here is a synopsys. It lays out the criteria that needs to be covered by those houses aspiring to belong to the Syndical Chamber of Haute Couture in Paris and therefore, be able to label a line as "Haute Couture". Apparently the requirements differ depending on how established and experienced the house is.

According to the author of the article an incomplete list of all the houses that meet the requirements includes Chanel, Christian Dior, Nina Ricci, Versace, Armani and Gucci, Jean Paul, John Galliano, Valentino and Gianni, Moschino, Escada Louis Feraud, Hermes, Hugo Boss, Yves Saint Laurent, Pierre Cardin, Dolce & Gabbana, Ralph Lauren, Fendi, Leonardi Emilio Pucci, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Sergio Rossi, Dunhill, DKNY, Brooks Brothers.

It is not a very coherent list, since most of those are designers and not houses, and most of them do not have couture lines. Nevertheless, it is an interesting article.

Enjoy
Brooks Brothers and DKNY? You SERIOUS? They don't seem all that "haute" to me.

11-09-2010
chaos reigns

I recently read somewhere here on the forums that the most an HC house wud sell its like 10% of the collection (was it Chanel) and they were elated they managed to get to sell that much

Does anyone has more data on it?

front row

I think designers today want to make simple clothes, cuz of the economy and people (Lacroix). We are in different and bad times right now and i think fashion industry suffers too. They are more focused on one collection and try to gave best to it, from materials to making the clothes. I really love houte couture and i love to watch creations, but now only celebs for special events or concerts wear those. But still they let us dream, as somebody above already wrote. I guess Valentino was the last one who really did true houte couture!

23-09-2010
windowshopping

I'm very intrigued by the 30% discount for fitting into the runway sample. That could easily be at least 25k or more saved.
I now have a slight glimmer of hope for a Givenchy wedding gown someday.

23-09-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post
I recently read somewhere here on the forums that the most an HC house wud sell its like 10% of the collection (was it Chanel) and they were elated they managed to get to sell that much

Does anyone has more data on it?
Wow that's such a small amount. But then again it makes sense, stylists usually just borrow everything and only very wealthy people actually buy the pieces for their own collections

29-09-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwhiterooms View Post
Wow that's such a small amount. But then again it makes sense, stylists usually just borrow everything and only very wealthy people actually buy the pieces for their own collections
Very very small amount. It's like a lost treasure

04-10-2010
Looking Up

Haute Couture pieces become stored after the shows I thought, and aren't given to anyone.

04-10-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwhiterooms View Post
But if a piece brings in $100,000, it's still quite a bit. If you sell even 10 pieces, it's already $1,000,000, and pieces can be even more expensive than that. I read somewhere that extremely rich ladies sometimes single-handedly buy 10 pieces from one collection.

front row

Well, just because most of the haute couture pieces are not wearable doesn't mean that people don't buy them. There are collectors all around the world that battle over these one of a kind masterpieces! I think that the pieces which don't get sold are very few.

Looking Up

^ Um that's probably wrong. Chanel and Elie Saab, who probably make the most wearable Haute Couture, only sell something like 40% of their collection, in a good season. That figure isn't very accurate but I know it's definitely less than half.

08-10-2010
front row

^ I can't be 100% sure, so i don't insist on my opinion but if you're right, it's a true shame.

BTW, since Chanel was mentioned, i've read somewhere on the web that Chanel is burning the unsold products at the end of every season, as an attempt to reduce counterfeiters. It sounds silly, i know, but look it up. It's true.
Plus, H&M are destroying the leftovers too. Actually there was quite a buzz in New York in the beginning of the year about it.
So, i suppose most of the houses might do something similar?!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
couture, creations, haute