How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-01-2008
rising star

So what Happens to those Haute Couture Creations?
I was just wondering. It is a known fact that most of the pieces in the couture shows do not get sold. Financially speaking, couture shows do not bring any profits, whatsoever. They do, of course, keep the magic alive and the show running.

We know they don´t end up in consignment shops. I also am pretty certain they´re not given away as gifts, since even celebrities have to "borrow" them, and socialites often "rent" them.

So does anyone know what happens to all the gradiose dresses, suits etc?

22-01-2008
front row

good question!

oooooo, *imagines a warehouse full of them...............*

22-01-2008
rising star

they go into the archives

22-01-2008
rising star

What do you mean by archives? Some of them of course end up in museums, but that´s a very small percentage. Just think of all the dresses that are produced every season..

22-01-2008
trendsetter

Only approximately 500 people in this world can afford and wear couture clothes, as reported in a newspaper.
Maybe half of that 500 are socialites and celebs?
And yes, FIVE HUNDRED.

Last edited by The.Rock.Inc.; 22-01-2008 at 06:01 AM.
22-01-2008
rising star

I´ve read statistics like that. And it used to be a much smaller number. Besides, who´s to say that the people that can afford it actually go and buy them. It´s one thing to afford them, quite another to have plentiful of opportunities to wear them.. Extreme wealth and a booked-up social calendar do not necessarily come hand in hand. Many of the excessively rich are extremely private and choose not to flaunt their fortunes.

22-01-2008
front row

they go into archives.

each piece is archived and stored by the house for future reference.

22-01-2008
scenester

I heard that they are for sale at a 30% reduction on "The Secret World of HC" documentary and for anyone whose read "Fashion Babylon" by Imogen Jones, she talks about how some very rich wives of middle eastern oil tycoons who love HC but whose countries don't allow them to dress that way buy the runway HC pieces just to own and for display since they can't wear them anyway. For anyone whose hasen't seen the documentary, I posted it here.

22-01-2008
tfs star

According to WWD, sales are up.

There is a very long article in the Friday edition for those who have access called "No End to the Excess: Couture Houses Say The Party Plan Is On".

front row

500 does come as a surprise, given that these days, you hear rich clients from Indonesia, Japan etc jetting to Paris to buy couture.

celebrities do not count most of the time as clothes are gifted to them as free advertisement.

but i do believe the number will rise quickly what with the nouveau rich multiplying like rabbits and the new expansion of ultra-wealthy markets like Russia and China. the Russians especially, tend to be so rich that they simply snap up entire collections at one swoop.

not to forget, Dior just released couture figures and profits were up by 35% in 2007. couture truly is making a big comeback, and i love it.

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_nyc View Post
According to WWD, sales are up.

There is a very long article in the Friday edition for those who have access called "No End to the Excess: Couture Houses Say The Party Plan Is On".
maybe you could post some excerpts?...
thanks!

22-01-2008
front row

like said before around 500 ppl can afford couture clothes...very small percentage of them are celebs ... at least 0 %. Those are the really really really rich ppl of the world, not earning their money with making films or being famous. those are very private ppl, buying around 3-5 peaces a year. the rest is going into archives, kept for showing an designer's creativity, his art maybe his life.
the rest ... couture is made for keeping fahsion alive, maybe also to sell it and to make some marketing ...

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vain & Vapid View Post
I heard that they are for sale at a 30% reduction on "The Secret World of HC" documentary and for anyone whose read "Fashion Babylon" by Imogen Jones, she talks about how some very rich wives of middle eastern oil tycoons who love HC but whose countries don't allow them to dress that way buy the runway HC pieces just to own and for display since they can't wear them anyway. For anyone whose hasen't seen the documentary, I posted it here.

Thank you for the link, this documentary was a pleasure to watch.

22-01-2008
rising star

i guess to answer my own questions, it doesn´t really matter where they store the unsold pieces. The only way to have even a remote access to clothes like this is to actually be able to afford them. It would be such a great thing, to do within a lifetime, having the pleasure of feeling the impeccable fit and the superb fabric on your skin.

22-01-2008
backstage pass

i still feel that haute couture is overly exaggerated....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
couture, creations, haute