How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-05-2012
rising star

I think every past decade had a distinctive look, you can probably tell when a picture was taken (in the 60s, the 80s ect.). People then also dressed similarly.

Now, the difference to me is that we can have the exact same products.

16-05-2012
scenester

I actually think that the world is not getting homogenized, I'd say it has something to do with the people themselves. Would a person who wears a 'universal blogger/trendy outfit' be different in other time? I don't think so, these people just tend to accept things and not to think individually and let's face it, the majority is like this, we are community-conscious beings and we've always been. The people who break things tend to be outsiders or weirdos for the rest of the society.

Fortunately there are still many 'weirdos' who are very free in their style. For me, for example, trends are rather small challenges. For the first time ever, I've introduced flowers into my wardrobe this season, because that's the look and even though I wasn't sure it could work, it did, I was happy with it.

I'd say the 'problem' might be the big international companies like H&M, Zara and Topman who can sell good design cheaply, and an average design for even cheaper. And they like to support the bloggers because the bloggers are the cheapest and the most effective advertising space around.

16-05-2012
V.I.P.

I think some basic elements will be the same world over. But you can defiantly tell that Japanese street fashion is different to Scandi fashion which is different to British street fashion etc. sometime I think you can look at a street fashion image and kind of almost guess the country its in with out being told, but maybe that's just me.

My home city Liverpool has its own very unique style, people have tried to replicate it and failed, people have tried to crack the psychology behind the "Liverpool look" and why its different to the rest of the UK, but never quite got there. I think a style has just as much cultural and regional influence as street style from the world over.

Just a thought maybe the big street style photographers have certain styles they particularly like. So when taking pictures they will automatically look for that style. This is more down to the photographers choice and opinion then street style becoming the same world over?

Just my opinions anyways..

16-05-2012
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolaa View Post
I think every past decade had a distinctive look, you can probably tell when a picture was taken (in the 60s, the 80s ect.). People then also dressed similarly.

Now, the difference to me is that we can have the exact same products.

What was the look of the 200-2010 decade?

Can someone pin point it to me? I certainly cant!

And I blame the internet for it!

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post

Can someone pin point it to me? I certainly cant!

And I blame the internet for it!

Well, give it a little time, the decade ended only 2 years ago.

IMO there is a certain aesthetic that characterised most of the 00s, a look that while it has elements from past decades is still different from the previous years.

17-05-2012
chaos reigns

Welll .. Ive lived thru the end of the 70s, the 80s and the 90s and I didnt have to wait to determine the aesthetics ... what happened?

I mean this really confuses and frustrates me and makes me wonder about the current generation

rising star

Of all the things to be frustrated about the current generation this is the least of them all

Anyway, I just stated my opinion

Last edited by Lolaa; 17-05-2012 at 12:19 PM.
17-05-2012
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine View Post

Hipsters. :p

Skinny jeans, oversized glasses, ironic WT hats, quirky facial hair, tattoos and piercings.

Of course, that wasn't the only thing happening.

Uggs with miniskirts, Ray Ban aviators and spray tans.

Guys wearing oversized shorts and t-shirts, Nikes and New Era fitteds.

Girls wearing layered boho/vintage and oversized jewelry.

And lets not forget the streamlined goth looks from Rick Owens, Gareth Pugh, Ann Demeulemeester, Number (N)ine, Julius and others.

Whose street style are we discussing? As snowqueen so perceptively stated, who was being photographed by whom, and why?

The 90s are remembered for grunge, but was that the only style happening? I lived through them and I don't even remember. I think Lolaa may have a point, history may focus on one aspect and we have yet to see what it will be.

chaos reigns

Oh, sh*t, Tang!

You hit the nail! Hipsters!

The thing is their look is a bit blurry so ... but yeah! You have just given an answer to one of the biggest questions Ive asked myself for a while now ...

rising star

Well done, tangerine!

Now I hope I won't see my kids give those looks a revival like I did with the 1960's looks :p

23-05-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

New York Magazine - December 2009

FASHIONISING.COM

Ère de ℳodernité

I think the Internet played a big part in the problem. Now you can live in Los Angeles or in a small town somewhere in Romania and have access to the same pictures, be inspired by the same looks. That wide access definitely explains why people have very similar looks everywhere around the planet. I also think it justifies the lack of creativity of our generation, that keeps referencing former decades.

V.I.P.

^that´s true. but i think that you actually see a difference between people from different backgrounds. you do see that chinese exchange students dress different to us. i think the culture you are coming from and the traditions from your country still are a issues to how you dress.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowqueen View Post
I think some basic elements will be the same world over. But you can defiantly tell that Japanese street fashion is different to Scandi fashion which is different to British street fashion etc. sometime I think you can look at a street fashion image and kind of almost guess the country its in with out being told, but maybe that's just me.

My home city Liverpool has its own very unique style, people have tried to replicate it and failed, people have tried to crack the psychology behind the "Liverpool look" and why its different to the rest of the UK, but never quite got there. I think a style has just as much cultural and regional influence as street style from the world over.

Just a thought maybe the big street style photographers have certain styles they particularly like. So when taking pictures they will automatically look for that style. This is more down to the photographers choice and opinion then street style becoming the same world over?

Just my opinions anyways..
I think you're absolutely right. I used to follow so many street style blogs but I stopped because instead of being inspired by them I got bored with all the pretty skinny girls wearing the same clothes and listening to the same bands. When I look at the streetstyle in my city (Antwerp) I don't get bored a minute, people really dress how they feel and this ends up in an amazing, variety of styles. So I don't think we can really blam the internet for unifying fashion, it's more because a few "powerful" people favorise a certain look. And because there are so many copycats it just looks like there's only one style. People will always find a certain way to stand out and express themselves. Only the internet doesn't have the urge to show all of them (and it probably can't, given that a lot of it won't work for a major part of the population).

19-06-2012
rising star

I think it is simply not true that everyone dresses the same. People who have access to the internet and are bothered to type in 'street style' or 'blog' or what ever 'fashion victim'-term hits them are going to be smothered in a way of dressing that sprouts from western ideals in beauty and appearance. And obviously there are going to be those who stand out and those who don't; but for the most part people aren't aware of their motives when they dress.

Currently I'm reading a book on psychology and fashion, it states that the fact that we even dress and don't run around naked doesn't stem from shame for their body or necessity for protection (most places on earth are warm enough for humans to survive without clothes) it is an urge to express several things. At once we want to stand out and make clear what group we belong to, and the other motive is to dress appropriately. In the comfort of you own house you'd easily walk around in your revealing negligee, but you wouldn't step on the bus in such a state.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
century, streetstyle, world, xxi