How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-08-2010
Fashion Designer

I dont like the way it became a business. It used to be a fun and creative way to see what other people say, wear, buy... and actually leanr from others peoples mistakes too but now every blogger is endorsing something, just like celebrities... i find it very hard to trust a bloggers opinion or advice on buying something nowadays.

16-08-2010
you soft and only

Honestly, I hate the level of narcissism that comes along with most forms of blogging. Fashion bloggers seem to be guilty of this 75% of the time.

02-09-2010
windowshopping

I think the accusation that fashion blogging is pure narcissism is valid to an extent, but doesn't much of that apply to the fashion industry in general? For something as superficial as clothing it's hard to avoid, but as long as the essence of fun and enjoyment remains I'm not sure anyone's really losing out. As someone who's only just started blogging, I personally enjoy reading others mostly because they're essentially ongoing street style with commentary. The business element does lead to some moral gray areas though, especially with mutual back scratching in the industry.

11-09-2010
front row

I can't agree more with daniellat and blueorchid!
I am a blogger myself, but i don't take it so seriously. I like to post my own illustration, my thoughts or just how my day was. I have it for my own heart, but i am always looking foward to comments.
I don't think blogging should be a profession, and if it will become, not everybody can be one, because they need the knowledge. There are far more talented people who
deserve attention, then most of the bloggers that are popular. I personaly love to read Danny Roberts blog! He is so down to earth, talented and hard working artist!

11-09-2010
front row

So-so. I do read fashion blogs, but there are waaay to many.
Oh, and I definetely do not get the hype around bloggers. For example: Tavi.
I'm sure she is a nice girl but come on guys!

11-09-2010
front row

many blogs out there annoy me, just because they don't seem creative or original. also, i hate the words "rad" and "achingly cool"
but there are also some wonderful and unique blogs out there. it's something for everyone.
i have a blog just for two reasons
1) i work in a very male-dominated business and a blog is my outlet for talking about girly things like fashion, skincare, and makeup - rather than go out and spend money on buying them, i can just write about them rationally and it controls my impulses
2) i am very scatterbrained and i like to have a place where i can keep all my thoughts about fashion in one spot!
but i would never "pimp out" my blog or anything, i usually don't even link to it. it's mostly for myself! and i think that commenting on blogs when you don't really have something to say is pretty disingenuous.

of course, i am writing this in a nice mood. there are some bad times late at night when gnarlitude and sea of shoes just piss me off!!! but in general i try to keep an open mind and be glad for whatever makes people happy...

11-09-2010
front row

If it's up to me, everybody can have a fashion blog just for them to express. But what annoys me are those who think they have all the brains of the world and are so narcissistic! Those are specially kids, teenagers who have too many free time. I may be wrong, but as far as i saw, it's the way it is.

11-09-2010
backstage pass

I think that everyone who wants a blog can have one, and I don't see why that shouldn't be a profession. After all, that would be the same as a writer for a magazine, but this time they work online for a blog.
And about what people post on blogs, well it's pretty much their choice, no? I mean we have the right to choose, and we choose what works the best for us. Maybe someone wants to read cheesy posts about things that don't matter at all - it's all about the choice, really

11-09-2010
front row

I agree with you, but blogging as a prefession, i think that is ok as long that person is educated. Cuz i agree with how some people think and how some say that it's unfair to those who spend years learning about fashion, going to school and killing them self on different works and then comes some blogger and gets popular, lets say over night. Try to put yourself in that possition.

11-09-2010
backstage pass

I wouldn't mind that at all. If you're educated enough you can achieve that success yourself as well.

11-09-2010
front row

I honestly believe that fashion blogging has nothing to do with one's education.There are fashion bloggers of all ages and professions from all over the world,some involved in fashion industry,some not but doing it because they love fashion and want to express themselves and their passion for fashion.And of course if they're unique and outstanding,they are going to get spotted by influential people from fashion world and that can lead to fame and fashion blogging becoming a profession.

11-09-2010
scenester

On the internet it's easy to avoid website one dislikes. Personally, I get very tired of the personal fashion blogs where girls post 10+ pictures of themselves in the SAME outfit. I am planning to start an editorial section of my website but am limiting each feature to 1-2 photographs in the same outfit. I think ALL creativity is to be encouraged but that doesn't mean I'm going to waste my time reading blogs that don't interest me. That is why I don't understand the hate and negative energy directed towards some of the fashion bloggers. Ignoring them, and banishing them to obscurity in one's own life, is punishment enough.

I think fashion bloggers are here to stay. The industry is in the process of accepting it like how brick-and-mortar stores had to accept the existence of competition from online stores. That actually drove innovation in the marketplace and the physical stores that survived into 2010 successfully reinvented the shopping experience, much to the pleasure of the consumer!

I adore streetstyle blogs (and not just because I run one myself) because they celebrate the style and fashion of the everywoman. I think people are drawn to the democracy and popularism they represent. People who I photograph are 99% ecstatic when I stop them on the street - that is worthwhile enough. It's not only the website but the energy and processes that surround them. For me, the most important element of running my website is recognizing the style and personalities of people in Chicago. I feel like I am giving back like a sort of public service. It is my interactions with people on the street, and their excitement about the fact that someone noticed the effort they put into their look and celebrating their choices, that really drives me to photograph everyday. The website itself is only one part of running a blog.

I am planning to build my career in fashion working trend development and public policy. For me, blogging is not only an outlet but a way for me to work in the fashion world before entering the workforce. That way when I apply for a Ph.D in marketing program, I can say I've been tracking and analyzing trends for a couple of years and that this is truly where my heart and soul is.

Last edited by ChiStreetStyle; 11-09-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: clarificaiton
24-09-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraV View Post
If it's up to me, everybody can have a fashion blog just for them to express. But what annoys me are those who think they have all the brains of the world and are so narcissistic! Those are specially kids, teenagers who have too many free time. I may be wrong, but as far as i saw, it's the way it is.
I agree
Is it just me or are fashion bloggers getting WAY too big of an ego these days? They post photos!! I think we all need to keep things in perspective. They aren't running the industry ie: working at publications, modeling, etc. I don't get the buzz?

24-09-2010
front row

I think fashion blogs (good ones) are really affecting the fashion industry. I agree that everybody can have a fashion blog to express their interest and passion. to me, I want my reader to be entertained and inspired after reading my fashion blog, quality is very important.

24-09-2010
Vogue Paris Intern

There was an interesting article on Problogger yesterday about the main points a blogger has to pay attention to, and one of them was "contributing", as in giving something valuable to readers through your blog. What I find lacking in a large majority of fashion blogs is this consideration for readers (what do they like to see? how is my blog going to affect them in a positive way and give them something valuable that they can not find anywhere else?); a lot of people seem to blog mostly for themselves, sometimes without knowing it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts