How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-09-2010
windowshopping

I find this whole debate really interesting. I write for traditional media and I also have my own blog. Generally it's more rewardingr for PRs to push their products/shows/releases to bloggers. Simply because bloggers are known for being honest and straight to the point. If a collection or show gets good reviews on the blog then it must be good.

Whereas with traditional media I think some people are more cynical of it. Is the editorial coverage influenced by ad revenue coming in from that company? And so on.

Bloggers are a very valuable part of today's media but they should be treated very differently to 'real' journalists. They are two very separate categories of people.

26-09-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchCactus View Post
There was an interesting article on Problogger yesterday about the main points a blogger has to pay attention to, and one of them was "contributing", as in giving something valuable to readers through your blog. What I find lacking in a large majority of fashion blogs is this consideration for readers (what do they like to see? how is my blog going to affect them in a positive way and give them something valuable that they can not find anywhere else?); a lot of people seem to blog mostly for themselves, sometimes without knowing it.
I think the importance of this really depends on why a person is blogging, though. For instance, I only ever blog for myself - and in nine or so years of blogging that has never changed for me. For pro-bloggers, though, I think it's definitely important to provide something - if a blog doesn't have an edge, or if it doesn't bring something to the table, it will get filed away as just another blog. But maybe some people don't want to blog professionally! :p

Vogue Paris Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaki View Post
I think the importance of this really depends on why a person is blogging, though. For instance, I only ever blog for myself - and in nine or so years of blogging that has never changed for me. For pro-bloggers, though, I think it's definitely important to provide something - if a blog doesn't have an edge, or if it doesn't bring something to the table, it will get filed away as just another blog. But maybe some people don't want to blog professionally! :p
I don't blog professionally either and I understand your point of view. What I personally like in blogging is the interaction with readers, hence the importance of paying attention to them.

V.I.P.

I don't even get all the hype around Bryanboy anyway.
Well, he may be a kinda creative and interesting guy, but what is he actually famous for? when I visit his blog now, the only thing I see are Videos of Fashion show finales or photos of invitiations. seriously!
I don't know how his blog looked like at the beginning (maybe someone could tell?) but from what I see, he is totally overrated .

windowshopping

when blogs get big (tavi) they are easily bought. she was a 'loser' tween year old girl and look at her now. she's sorted for life, can you really blame her?
honestly, if you were in that position , can you say you wouldn't do the same thing?

the main problem is there are way too many people fighting for attention and far too many boring people willing to fall in love with the person and their style because they don't have their own.

29-09-2010
windowshopping

-end of rant that sounds exactly the same as everyone else's

30-09-2010
front row

I find myself attracted to the fashion blogs that seem genuine and that aren't constant posey photos of the blogger in different outfits, calling things "vintage" when they're only 10 years old, and talking about their love and devotion to Alexander Wang. Bored of all that!! I love Susie Bubble and the paid of Scottish lasses at Kingdom of Style. I do enjoy Tavi's blog, but sometimes find it a bit too much. People that name drop all the time "these jeans were sent to me by comme de garcons" - yehyeh ok we get it!!

I've started my own blog, but it's based on following trends and looking at what's on the fashion horizon. It's a subject I'm fascinated in, and have worked as a trend forecaster and designer professionally, so I hope I've got some interesting things to say to people that are also interested in that kind of thing. I'm certainly not going to be posting photos of myself in trendy outfits everyday, but I do hope to incorporate a bit of street style, as it drives trends these days.

30-09-2010
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkykitten View Post
I find myself attracted to the fashion blogs that seem genuine and that aren't constant posey photos of the blogger in different outfits, calling things "vintage" when they're only 10 years old, and talking about their love and devotion to Alexander Wang. Bored of all that!! I love Susie Bubble and the paid of Scottish lasses at Kingdom of Style. I do enjoy Tavi's blog, but sometimes find it a bit too much. People that name drop all the time "these jeans were sent to me by comme de garcons" - yehyeh ok we get it!!
Agreed! I think this basically sums up why some people have beef with the blogging situation today. The important thing to me is to be able to weed out the blogs that still somehow teach me something about the person or the way the person views the world, especially if they have something substantial or interesting to say. Of course, what's interesting to me may not be so for the next guy, but gushing about clothes as it is can only be entertaining as long as there's diversity and we keep it interesting!

ps. incidentally, I bookmarked your blog yesterday, I found it lovely and sweet and unpretentious (not to mention super spot on!), exactly the kind of thing I enjoy reading these days

front row

I went to see some of the biggest fashion blogers, and ... i don't get it... whats with all the hype, i totally agree with wangster !
They are just a free advertisment for designers. They invite them on fashion show, they sit in front row and then they get designers gifts, or they send them something so they wear it and comment on their blog about it... what makes all this so different then celebs in Hollywood?
I can't take any blogger seriously. They started to write a blog because they love fashion and that's ok, but why making them a celebs? There are so many better blogs then the most known ones and nobody really pay that much attention to them. These famues bloggers look like mascot's and that's why they are so famues? Is it? So i have to dress funny now, like i'm a magnet and whatever will i drag on me i'll wear that day?? Sorry but i don't see fashion in that... I have nothing against fashion bloggers as long as they promote fashion in a good way and not like it's halloween
I read some of the fashion blogs. But from those who are truly talented. And yes, blogging have nothing to do with education, like i wroted before, but if they were educated they would be on top!

02-10-2010
V.I.P.

I don't get how people feel the need to bash others blogs (I'm not talking about this thread especially!). Everybody can start a blog these days, you either are interested in or you're not. It not like starting a blog is going to take away something from someone else. There are a lot of fashion-themed blogs that seem naive and a little uninspired but there's still some work and courage behind it.

I think it's just plain necessary to be all kinds of excentric to get noticed among the huge number of blogs. Which is quite sad because in the end it's not about personal style anymore but just about being outrageous and oh-so-different.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesanni View Post
I don't get how people feel the need to bash others blogs (I'm not talking about this thread especially!). Everybody can start a blog these days, you either are interested in or you're not. It not like starting a blog is going to take away something from someone else. There are a lot of fashion-themed blogs that seem naive and a little uninspired but there's still some work and courage behind it.

I think it's just plain necessary to be all kinds of excentric to get noticed among the huge number of blogs. Which is quite sad because in the end it's not about personal style anymore but just about being outrageous and oh-so-different.
^Yes i totally agree! Specialy with last part! And that is sad, because most of really talented people arent gonna be outrageous, they are more of art souls who like to do their own thing without all the drama and just being loud. I'm not talking here about myself, but about some really good blogs that i've seen!

03-10-2010
rising star

I also think a new problem with fashion bloggers, is that they actually think that they're point matters in regards to actual fashion designers/magazines. Wake up, we're using you!

I interned for AnOther Magazine and Purple, and I can say firsthand that the relationship between fashion blogger and actual journalist is very very hostile. Oliver Zahm hates 'em, even thought it's kinda ironic seeing as he has a blog. I've brushed shoulders with Elle Uk and Vogue, who've hinted under their breath that they only really see it as a trend. Which could be why Anna Wintour doesn't think they're a threat. I work HR for A. Wang now, and the basic gist that I got from the pr team is that bloggers are easy to manipulate. Though I don't think we've sent anything yet to people, (could be wrong have to check with PR again) we do keep tabs of who's tagging our brand and we have noticed that other fashion labels do this (sending free stuff), to get famous bloggers to hype them up more. We have sent fashion invitation of our shows to bloggers before, but that's only to bloggers who have unbelievably high viewership. We do it in hopes that they'll talk about the show, not because we think you may be valid source of inspiration of whatever bloggers think of their importance.

In all, I've noticed alot of the higher-rated bloggers to be naive about their importance. But then again, I'm sure they could say that they're using us aswell. The question for both of us though is, for how much longer can we use each other?

Also, I hope none of you saw this post as condescending. I just wanted to pass on the things I've heard. That I think could be reputable sources.

05-10-2010
fashion icon

I think blogs are fine as a way for one to express themselves. The best blogs offer an idea of what inspires someone. The worst blogs serve as a showcase for certain people to show off their (bad) modeling skills in expensive clothes someone else paid for.

The industry itself is responsible for inflating the egos and giving more importance to some bloggers that they don't deserve. Just because someone takes pictures of themselves in fancy shoes doesn't mean they should be given a shoe line to design. Once companies start sending freebies the gig is up. It is not possible for bloggers to remain impartial when they're being gifted from designers and the like.

13-10-2010
front row

I have a blog that I'm thinking about walking away from because I'm just tired of the whole scene. Fashion Blogs are so done! I'm bored to tears with every last one of them. I have companies emailing me all the time about posting campaigns for them and I don't do it without getting paid. You ain't using me! If they pay the magazines for ads, guess what? You definitely are going to pay me. I don't let anybody pimp me. You want promo you pay! Maybe these magazines and companies can manipulate these little teenagers but nobody gets a mention, pic, promo nothing without me receiving compensation in return! Blogging is also very time consuming and a time waster. I'm ready to get back to the real world, cause the virtual one is an mirage.

15-10-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahslope View Post
I also think a new problem with fashion bloggers, is that they actually think that they're point matters in regards to actual fashion designers/magazines. Wake up, we're using you!

I interned for AnOther Magazine and Purple, and I can say firsthand that the relationship between fashion blogger and actual journalist is very very hostile. Oliver Zahm hates 'em, even thought it's kinda ironic seeing as he has a blog. I've brushed shoulders with Elle Uk and Vogue, who've hinted under their breath that they only really see it as a trend. Which could be why Anna Wintour doesn't think they're a threat. I work HR for A. Wang now, and the basic gist that I got from the pr team is that bloggers are easy to manipulate. Though I don't think we've sent anything yet to people, (could be wrong have to check with PR again) we do keep tabs of who's tagging our brand and we have noticed that other fashion labels do this (sending free stuff), to get famous bloggers to hype them up more. We have sent fashion invitation of our shows to bloggers before, but that's only to bloggers who have unbelievably high viewership. We do it in hopes that they'll talk about the show, not because we think you may be valid source of inspiration of whatever bloggers think of their importance.

In all, I've noticed alot of the higher-rated bloggers to be naive about their importance. But then again, I'm sure they could say that they're using us aswell. The question for both of us though is, for how much longer can we use each other?

Also, I hope none of you saw this post as condescending. I just wanted to pass on the things I've heard. That I think could be reputable sources.
there's a certain amount of hubris in this assessment because it assumes that major fashion houses and retailers don't play these self-same games with other forms of media besides bloggers. i don't care if it's loaning a piece to a celebrity, a television show, or a magazine, it's all in an attempt to grab as much publicity for that brand as possible. while i do believe the scale of journalistic integrity slides depending on the media content provider, for a magazine to scoff at a blogger really hearkens back to the days when the huge conglomerate-owned publications did that to independent smaller outfits. nowadays, there's no way a fashion house would ignore a jefferson hack, shala monroque, or olivier zahm. just because they reach less people does not mean they don't connect with the right people for these houses.

the blogosphere will become the same sort of marketplace. all that most people in this world look for is a consistent and reliable point of view. a perspective they can trust. it's why we trust the opinions of our friends, our family, our personal shoppers, our sommeliers, our chefs, our bartenders, our djs. in the end, a strong point of view remains all that holds major magazines together -- just ask the band of vogue ediatrices. it's all that holds television shows -- witness tim blanks, jeanne beker, or lauren ezersky. but it's also the very thing that binds together major houses and major department stores and everything. so if bloggers can present fashion -- or politics or any other thing -- from a distinctive point of view that connects with an audience, they will present something that competes with the established forms of media that we know.

will they be subject to manipulation? no more than those other established forms of media. but one shouldn't underestimate the influence of these bloggers or the legitimacy of their point of view because of that manipulation. i've followed bloggers who get invited to runways shows that don't put out a good word after the presentations and who lambast celebrities who wear those clothes afterward. fashion, like so many other spheres of influence, remains a VERY small world. it's incestuous. it's interbred. it's intermarried. favors pass back and fourth so quickly and regularly that most don't even notice when it happens. it's a dust storm of invitations and gifts and friendships and opportunities. so it's not unusual that as new players enter this world, these favors start to fly their way. it doesn't make their perspective any more or less valid than any others. and ultimately, it's their audiences -- people like you and i -- that decide to continue to subscribe to their point of view or not.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts