How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-11-2010
Once King

my blog is juvenile and hardly gets updated. I may make a few posts here and there if I acquire something I was really wishing for but other than that it is just a few choice words of what was on my mind. My sub-par time management makes it impossible to have a decent blog schedule since I would rather stare at a wall and do nothing it seems.

I do feel good after a well put together blog posts though.

13-11-2010
front row

That is where you have to ask yourself why are you even doing your blog? For yourself, for your readers? Both? for money? For fame? If it is fulfilling to do one post a day, week, or month why wouldnt it be okay?

scenester

PerfectPerfect, I agree!

I started blogging about fashion in 2006 because it was such a relief to have an outlet to muse about things I found interesting, and my early posts didn't have much discipline to them at all - they were truly random.

Over the years, having a place to gather what inspires me and what I like and what I acquire etc has helped me hone my tastes and preferences and explore what truly inspires me.

It's also a space for me to keep track of what I buy, what I wear (sometimes) and make sure that I shop in a disciplined, well-thought out way. It's like accounting.

I blog for very personal reasons and I don't think I get much hits since I don't get contacted by PRs...I think of it as a fashion diary and my own personal coffee table book, a place where I make sense of my thoughts and collect what visually inspires me. On a blog you can sieve out what truly interests you into your personal magazine, and that's what I find liberating.

I think I'd like to have more of a dialogue going on with my blog, and I'll work on that, but the beauty of a blog is that you're really beholden to no one but yourself (while observing the basic rules of publishing eg credits and sources of course) and worrying about readers is really not my responsibility.

07-12-2010
fashion elite

an interesting article from the cut blog on bryan boy and how he's turned blogging into a career.

Quote:
Bryan Boy Earns Handsome Rewards for His Blogging

Photo: PatrickMcMullan.com

Bryan Boy is one of the judges of Sunglass Hut’s Full Time Fabulous Blogger competition, in which the winner gets a salary of $100,000 and a furnished luxury apartment in New York City, rent-free, for one year. At a dinner for the ten finalists at Sunglass Hut’s Fifth Avenue flagship last night, Bryan Boy told The Cut that blogging exclusively for a corporate site is a terrific opportunity, although it probably would not be right for him because he loves the freedom he has writing his own site. Also, he said, he makes more than $100,000 per year. While most of his revenue comes from advertising on his blog, now that he’s in demand, he charges fees for appearances and chooses which events he wants to go to. "But if it’s something or somebody that I support, then of course I’m not going to charge," he said. "For me money is really not the issue, it’s about getting material and getting my content."

Highlights of the 24-year-old’s career so far include having a Marc Jacobs bag named for him and sitting beside Anna Wintour at a Dolce & Gabbana show, even though she didn’t speak to him. "But, two weeks later they e-mailed me and we did that shoot together in the March issue of Vogue,” he said. After that the grande dame of fashion seemed less terrifying: In February of this year at Prabal Gurung, Bryan Boy tapped Wintour on the shoulder and thanked her for the Vogue feature. "She said, ‘Oh, it’s you. They were great photos, thank you for doing it.’ And since then I approach her during Fashion Weeks, say hi, and she’s so wonderful. So for me I don’t really understand the whole hullabaloo about how she’s this cold icy person. She’s been warm and gracious to me.”
Despite flying all the way from the Philippines for Monday’s dinner, Bryan Boy says he would never move to New York. “People are never happy here. There’s this insane drive and ambition and desire to go always up to the next level to the point where they’re never happy,” he says. “Even if you’re going out with somebody, they’re always looking for other hot guys. Everyone is on Grindr, you know what I mean?” he added. “I have so many gay friends here, and, you know, it’s Grindr, Manhunt, Adam4Adam, Craigslist, all these.”
But he is considering relocating — to Sweden, to be with his boyfriend. Right now, they see each other once a month in Europe or wherever else Bryan Boy may be. The two met when they shared a table at a crowded café in Sweden, and the guy, who is a banker, did not know who Bryan Boy was. “Which I love,” Bryan said. “Totally unrelated to fashion; fashion meets finance.”

08-12-2010
fashion insider

^ wow!! i'm impressed

trendsetter

Pretty impressed, but I don't adore all those bloggers at all. They write for what they get paid, just a kept doll.

09-12-2010
trendsetter

Nice piece on Susie Bubble

Quote:
“STYLE is, like, the wrapping paper of my life.”
The phrase is cringe-worthy. Or so imagines Susanna Lau, who uttered it in Gap’s latest advertising campaign as one in a cast of demi-celebrities delivering sound bites in online vignettes and modeling the company’s clothes.
Reviewing her part in the action, Ms. Lau, a k a Susie Bubble, the creator of Style Bubble, a comically irreverent fashion blog, backpedaled furiously. “I willingly entered into cheesy territory,” she said in a posting late last month — turf that was “marked by lines like the one above, and by airbrushing as well as the fake snow blown at me in the middle of a heat wave in New York.”
Never mind. Ms. Lau is well aware that the signature blend of candor and cheek has given her blog a cultlike status among designers, stylists and legions of civilians who dote on her quirky enthusiasms.

Call her an evangelist: She beats her drum for obscure designers, out-of-the-way shops and seldom-frequented showrooms, her message imbibed by some 30,000 visitors each day. They log on to find out what Ms. Lau thinks of ASOS Black’s “jingly-jangly dresses” or to scan her “to buy” lists for, say, a “bargainous printastic” sweater from David David, a pattern-mad London brand.
There was a time when a woman of her avid, if untutored, convictions might have found her calling as a stylist. Today she would most likely start a blog. Among her fellow opinionators, Ms. Lau, however, has an edge.

“She is a lot more exuberant than some of the other bloggers,” said the designer Nanette Lepore, who scrutinizes Style Bubble, along with her staff, several times a week, combing the site for trends, bargains and, presumably, ideas. “She’s got a fun approach that is at the same time realistic. She knows that sometimes the fun of fashion is all in the search for things, not in their actual possession.”
Fans also include the British designer Christopher Kane and the journalist Diane Pernet, who posted on her own influential blog, A Shaded View on Fashion, that she found Ms. Lau tireless in breaking new talent, and “inventive and humble” to boot.
Ms. Lau’s inventiveness emerges in the outrageous getups she models on her site: a ruffled peignoir over a violently colorful scuba suit one day; a coat in elephantine checks over a dainty gingham skirt the next. She has been known to show off cobalt blue hose hoisted by old-fashioned garter straps.

Her humility seems genuine, if calculated at times to disarm potential detractors. “I like what I like — it’s just one opinion,” she said by telephone from her home in London. “I don’t want to claim to be something that I’m not, which is a critic.”
Ms. Lau, 26, a Londoner whose family is from Hong Kong, skipped the customary coursework in journalism and fashion design to study history. But she compensates for a lack of conventional style credentials by exploring uncharted terrain, unearthing an unknown cobbler, for instance, or offering slick coverage of Hermès’s latest pop-up store.
What began about five years ago as a hobby has turned into a fulfilling, though not lucrative, career. Style Bubble generates advertising, but scarcely enough, Ms. Lau said, to support her taste for Church’s English brogues. “The need to update something and feed it on a daily basis with no financial motivation sort of points to an obsessive tendency,” she said. “I think a lot of bloggers are obsessive in their ways.”
Ms. Lau taps at her keyboard three to fours hours a day, then weaves among shops, design studios and art exhibitions, or reports first-hand on events like the Lanvin-H & M fashion show in New York. She has a magpie eye for minutiae: the crosshatching in a swatch of silk; the latticework on a Nigerian shirt.

“If I’ve bought something, it’s usually because a detail caught my eye,” she said. “It’s important for me to convey that.”
Her finds have snared the attention of chains like Topshop; last year the company snapped up Angie Johnson, the designer of I Heart Norwegian Wood, one of Ms. Lau’s discoveries, to create a line for its stores. But her meticulous images are the bane of other designers who are wary of being knocked-off. “Some people have asked me to show fewer pictures of their work, or remove them,” she said.
Ms. Lau tends to comply with such requests, while shrugging off others because, she insists, her readers can “make of fashion what they will.”
“The magazines and the catwalks aren’t the be-all, end-all of fashion,” she said. “And people are finding that out.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/fa...ml?ref=fashion

09-12-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
Honestly, I hate the level of narcissism that comes along with most forms of blogging. Fashion bloggers seem to be guilty of this 75% of the time.
I completely agree with this. How could anyone take that many photos of them-self? I prefer to read blogs that are mainly home decor related, as they're much more likely to just provide inspirational photos rather than photos of themselves.

09-12-2010
front row

It's strange to see all these people live privileged lives just because they have 50.000 hits a day, while others work really hard and finish two Universities and actually have skills like drawing or designing clothes.

04-01-2011
windowshopping

After reading these posts, which I totally agree with (narcissism, fame hungry, commercial driven) but I want to ask/point out that there are skills necessary.

I am usually amazing at the layout and web design of a good blog. I should hopefully take skills, originality, and the eye for it. They are often driven and dedicated. And some are actually very great writers.

I see bloggers as (often) comparable to the PR party girl persona, just on a different platform

10-01-2011
tfs star

I am growing a little bored of the way fashion blogging seems to be, as others have said, narcassistic and geared to money making. That is why I scrapped my old one and started a new one which, although it has fashion (its a big part of my life so it would be odd to have none) it also has other things. Opinions on more than clothes and hair. I dunno I just got bored of seeing outfit posts that cost £££ and posts which sound like adverts.

front row

I am usually surprised by how many of the super popular fashion blogs are actually not all that interesting or well composed. It makes me wonder if some sort of 'coolness factor' has to be bestowed upon a blog in order for it to become the 'it' thing of the moment. I only say this because there are a plethora of extremely well presented, informative and beautifully written/photographed - not to mention original - fashion blogs out there that amass hardly any attention at all. This tends to hold true with all creative media though, and we all kind of know that internet popularity is a strange, fickle beast!

I tend to dislike those blogs which endlessly recycle already distributed content, those which contain dozens of images culled from Tumblr and hardly any effort to produce original content or any writing at all - and some of these are so popular it blows my mind.

I don't write a fashion blog myself (although I run one for my artwork), but I do love to read them

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 10-01-2011 at 04:30 PM.
10-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
JCR: How do you think it will change or morph?

DRG: I have worked in online media (among other things) for over ten years and have seen a lot of changes. I wrote fashion articles for a website which were 400-500 words long. Then it was decided that people didn’t want to read long articles on a screen, they wanted easily digestible galleries of top ten images to scroll through in their lunch hour. As we start consuming media on the go with smart phones and tablet devices, attention spans will get shorter again.
That's me - and my wordy ways - screwed, then... ;0)

With regards to the longevity of the media bubble surrounding fashion blogs - and when, not if, it will pop - I agree with AltamiraNYC's assessment.

We will reach a point of saturation where fashion blogs no longer hold the same allure. This day may, in many ways, be overdue. Like taking a sip of Alice's 'Drink Me' potion, the world of fashion blogging is a veritable Wonderland: one blog, leads to another, leads to a further hundred.

Seemingly, everyone has a blog. And their dog (i.e. me!), too.

This isn't an entirely pessimistic argument. Fashion blogs will survive in the aftermath, the backwash, of massive media hype but the bottleneck for those reaching global (commercially profitable?) recognition - akin to the Bryan Boy's of this world - is narrowing.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyAzura View Post
Nice piece on Susie Bubble
Miss Bubble is also the first blogger out for Monki Television. Monki has launched Monki Television and is about inspiration related to a variety of themes. A new show will put on once a month where a new face will give a look into her world of fashion.

See first episode here: http://www.monki.com/television/susie-bubble/my-thing

14-01-2011
front row

i think Bryan Boy started this whole faze, the first blogger i heard of.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts