How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-01-2011
windowshopping

Stealing pictures
More and more so called fashion blogs find some nice pictures, steals them and put them on their own blog.

Yeah, you are guilty as charged

Now - I know that I, as a photographer, have copyright of all my images and no one are allowed to use them without my consent.

At least... that's the basic rule.

Even bloggers that earn $$$ from advertising are using images taken from magazines / net.

How come then, do so many bloggers use images from Vogue and other magazines without any form for consequence?

14-01-2011
trendsetter

^I think it's due to the fact some countries don't exactly penalize anyone from using copyrighted images as long as they have some form of credits.

It's so easy to go around the law. You can just easily put in your blog somewhere "all images used are readily available in multiple sources on the internet and deemed to be public domain. if you see any of your images being misused, please don't hesitate to contact and we will take the images down."

And it's not like the bloggers are exactly stating that the images were taken by them.

15-01-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
It's so easy to go around the law. You can just easily put in your blog somewhere "all images used are readily available in multiple sources on the internet and deemed to be public domain. if you see any of your images being misused, please don't hesitate to contact and we will take the images down."
This is a common misconception. No matter what you write on your website, you are not allowed to use the image without the owner's concent - unless the owner writes that it's ok to use the image.

Doing so, could lead to a nasty fine.

The law is pretty much the same in countries like US, Canada and countried in Europe.

Here are a few links that should clear thinkgs up:

http://www.suite101.com/content/copy...ontent-a140985
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
And it's not like the bloggers are exactly stating that the images were taken by them.
No, they normaly don't credit at all.

When I take images for my magazine, either it's editorial or from the catwalk, I have no problem that non-commercial blogs use my images, as long as they credit me and link back to my site.

If a commercial website or a blog start using my images without my concent, I will send them a bill for each image used.

What surprises me is how many images are taken from Vogue and other magazines and not once have I heard that action have been taken against the blogger.

You can kind of compair it with downloading music or movies. They are copyrighted.

15-01-2011
front row

There's nothing worse than Tumblr for this - I have spent a full afternoon trying to locate the source of a particular image and merely find myself caught up in a merry-go-round that spirals into infinity (all images seem to link back to the user, not the creator). I am very rarely able to find the creator of a piece of work.

This is pretty sad, because there are so many great photographers and artists who I simply can't name or follow up on.... aargh!

As an illustrator/photographer myself, I accept that regardless of laws, once something is published on the web, people will simply download the work. It's just going to happen. How this applies to the famous I have no idea, but for the rest of us small fry, only watermarking or exhibiting small files can guarantee any kind of safety. I learned to get used to it a long time ago.

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 15-01-2011 at 02:47 PM.
15-01-2011
unspecified

this could sound stupid, but if I upload pictures from say, style.com and credit them, is that not right? I use wordpress and they have an optional function where you tell the other website you've added a link or mentioned them... I do let them know, even though I'm sure they couldn't care less.. Am I hurting them in any way?

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
15-01-2011
windowshopping

For me, having a blog is not about any sort of commercial or fame-thirsty endeavour. It's just a hobby and a way to share my tastes with whoever's interested. There are definitely people who go into it anticipating their blog to be profitable but the majority (I think) just do it for fun.

16-01-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit Lucille View Post
this could sound stupid, but if I upload pictures from say, style.com and credit them, is that not right?
At the very bottom of style.com, you will find the following text:

"All rights reserved. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached, or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast Digital."

Quote:
I use wordpress and they have an optional function where you tell the other website you've added a link or mentioned them... I do let them know, even though I'm sure they couldn't care less..
That only works if the other site also is a Wordpress site (or other blog sytem)

Quote:
Am I hurting them in any way?
Photoshoot can cost a lot of money, depending on the model and the photographer (and the set / location).

Many bloggers get money for writing about products and from advertisement on their site. Therefore it's not right for them to use others work and earn money on it.

As for the blogs that do not earn money on it, it's more 'ok' - as long as they credit the photographer or credit the publishing magazine.

If the blogger does not credit where the images comes from, it is considered bad ethics.

17-01-2011
unspecified

UHHH thank you, I'll take it off. I do credit every single thing that's not mine..
So isn't there a way to put up pictures of shows that I didn't take? (it's not like I can get to every show)

20-01-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
UHHH thank you, I'll take it off. I do credit every single thing that's not mine..
So isn't there a way to put up pictures of shows that I didn't take? (it's not like I can get to every show)
If we play by the rules? No.
But you can ask the photographer if you can use the images.

I know that you can download images from Copenhagen Fashion Week for free, as long as you credit them.

I take a lot of pictures from the catwalk (see 'Fashion report' on my site). Non-commercial bloggers are welcome to use my images (from the catwalk), as long as they credit AND link back to me.

I spend a lot of time (and money) taking the pictures, so it's only fair that the blogger at link back to me. Just nice courtesy

20-01-2011
unspecified

Thank you for the answer. Then, we should think that a lot of bloggers don't respect others...
How about if you scan a magazine? Is that frown upon too? If you credit the magazine, and everyone involved in the editorial, etc, is that ok??

22-01-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Thank you for the answer. Then, we should think that a lot of bloggers don't respect others...
How about if you scan a magazine? Is that frown upon too? If you credit the magazine, and everyone involved in the editorial, etc, is that ok??
Initially, no.

I can't find any links for it in english - but the only time you can use images from a magazine, is when the image / cover is a vital part of what you are writing - and the image must be cropped or rescaled to a size that can not be confused with original image.

hmm.. hard to explain.

I don't think "Oh I love this dress from xyz, so nice colours..." is enough to allow you to use image.

22-01-2011
windowshopping

Hi all,

I think that all this conversation about stealing photos is kind of unessential if thinking about the development of whole information sharing in internet. Basically, there's thousands of style blogs out there nowadays and no one, I mean, not even Conde Nast or other big magazine houses, wants to file a suit against everyone sharing and showing their pictures, even though some would earn money with their blogs.

I think that the unsaid, unwritten rule is and will be that you basically should credit the pictures you show in your blog and that is enough. All other "don't touch my pictures even though I put them in internet" blah blah is relic nowadays - except if someone really claims the pictures shown as her/his own. The laws aren't up to date in these issues, so I wouldn't lean on it

This is interesting debate, so keen to see how it developes!

22-01-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAurora View Post
(...) I think that the unsaid, unwritten rule is and will be that you basically should credit the pictures you show in your blog and that is enough. All other "don't touch my pictures even though I put them in internet" blah blah is relic nowadays - except if someone really claims the pictures shown as her/his own. The laws aren't up to date in these issues, so I wouldn't lean on it
As I've said earlier, I don't think anyone will file lawsuits agains non-commercial blogs. But if websites / bloggs is earning money on what they write, then it becomes a whole different matter.

If I come over non-commercial blogs that have used my images without creditation, I just e-mail / comment and ask politely if they will link back to my site.

If it's a commercial blog / website, I will most probably bill them for use of image. I will of course see how commercial a blog is.

Basically it's like this. No one should earn money on images I've spent time and money creating.

23-01-2011
unspecified

As someone that puts effort/love/sweat to do a creative thing, credit means a great deal. I study fashion design, and I cannot tell you how many times I've been ripped and some teachers know it and don't say anything, I get really pissed. For a photographer it's the same thing.
I want to be respected and therefore, I have to do the same. Also, I really enjoy the free offer of pictures that any site provides.
It would be awesome if a credit and a link should be enough, but if it's not, I'm willing to keep on searching a way to do everything right.
Besides, living in a very-corrupted world, every little thing I can do to not cooperate, I will.

18-03-2011
windowshopping

I think fashion blogging is just another form of social media. Some are interesting and have lots of followers whilst some are not and have few followers. Blogging is a great platform though that allows everyone to have their say and opinion.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts