How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
I completely agree with this. How could anyone take that many photos of them-self? I prefer to read blogs that are mainly home decor related, as they're much more likely to just provide inspirational photos rather than photos of themselves.
I so agree... I'm thinking about certain female bloggers right now...*coughcough*... There ARE some lovely, inspirational blogs... But some girls are so odd... It seems like they just think they are beautiful, but on a black shirt and jeans, have a boyfriend photographer und pose like models...and think they are so "creative" and hip.

I do follow 3 or 4 blogs, which I like because I don't feel like the posters are completely narcistic B*****. But most of the "famous" bloggers I can't handle at all.

19-03-2011
V.I.P.

A lot of narcissism and navel gazing...

20-03-2011
Riot Bug

sometimes i like to have a sneak a peek other times- mostly- they give me headache in the end... kinda same same same same...

front row

the funny thing is, even the so called "minimalistic" (well, or in their own words, "understated", u get the point), they tend to dress exactly the same, the uniform is isabel marant suede ankle boots, dark skinny jeans, crew neck sweater (preferably dark or cream), and isabel marant bator coat. exactly the same, exactly. and they all declare to love stripy shirts to bits. (and that almost kills my love for anything stripy, almost)
well, it's a scene on its own, i guess.

plus: and almost all of they love sofia coppola and her movies. you get the pic.

Last edited by MulletProof; 20-03-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: merged posts.
20-03-2011
V.I.P.

i don't really understand the whole point of being a blogger... at first i thought its interesting since it was new, but now its like uggs. everybody has so much to say about fashion, but the thing is that most of bloggers are clueless. not all of them, but just too many... there is facebook, there is myspace, twitter, so u can post a pic u like or say sth u think is important not only for you, but writing on daily bases and taking pics of your clothes and well yourself is just lame. screams ATTENTION pleaseee.....
i dont need a blog, all i have to say fashion related i say i here and to my fashion obsessed girlfriends.

23-03-2011
front row

M.J I can see your point exactly: I feel that we might just be a tad over saturated by this point, and perhaps this sensation is the result of that. So much of the same information, continuously flowing through. I have often felt this way with regards to visual art (my own 'profession'), where so many images are circulating which follow the same aesthetic, again and again and again. I suppose this is simply the nature of the internet, connecting so many cultures, concepts, whims and desires - things are bound to repeat, and there's also that inclination to 'get on the bandwagon', the greatest evidence of which I see so frequently whilst browsing through tumblr.
I don't understand or relate to the repetitions, and sometimes it tires me to wade through them, but I am always quite intrigued by them on a social/psychological level. It's certainly overwhelming and often feels like a diluting of experience, for me. Sometimes it even makes me feel sort of depressed, deadened, over-stimulated. It can have quite the opposite effect of inspiring..

Bonjour Tristesse I wonder about the endless outfit photo's too, and many are something within the regions of 20 per post, of the same angle, outfit and pose. Perhaps they can't decide upon a favourite
But then, I have recently begun to make sporadic outfit photos, only as a small accompaniment to an illustration blog, and I feel really self conscious about it, and I am also glaringly aware of the often presumed vanity/narcissistic elements, which I would hopefully never project. Yet mine are such a small dip in the ocean, and an exception rather than the rule, but I do feel just a little bit odd for making them, as if it is a guilty pleasure. Essentially sharing a new outfit is fun, interesting, and sometimes informative, but the endless stream of similarities amongst many are certainly food for thought.

So, I wonder why this has taken off in such a colossal way? I also think that the repetition of styles and blog posts might even be less fascinating than the actual streams of comments received by the most popular fashion blogs. For example, the amount of times 'You're so fabulous!' or " I loveee your style!' appears beneath any given post really puzzles me: for why would anyone, even if they adore the authors style, care so much to add just one more banal, oft repeated comment to an already overstated slurry of praise?
That sounds a little bit negative, perhaps, but the mentality behind this just brings the 'bandwagon' concept back to my mind, again. Whether it's for self promotion or just run of the mill adoration, I simply don't get it.
Perhaps all of these elements have something to do with creating an aura of 'envy', 'adoration', and so on (not necessarily a conscious intent on the bloggers part, but a sort of cultural ...malaise). I don't know. But I have perused a few formsprings belonging to popular bloggers and the aura of mini celebrity surrounding them is pretty awesome! Ordinary girls, blogging their passion for fashion suddenly wind up at the centre of a hurricane, with a steady stream of fans circling about them offering praise and vitriol alike. Some of them seem to love it, thrive on it, whilst some seem a little nonplussed. There is also the backlash (which I presume is attached to the envy element), a perfect example being a forum (I can't recall the exact name) which encourages beauty bloggers fans to verbally trash them on every conceivable level.
It intrigues and terrifies me in equal measure!

23-03-2011
I don't know

I HATE blogs. Sorry to everyone writing one, it's nothing personal and occasionally I would even find it nice to have one to write my thoughts in but this culture surrounding blogs has just made so sick of it. I don't know how it is in other countries but here they treat them like celebrities. All these mindless young girls, I somehow see them on magazine covers, on my TV. It's just too much but the general public keeps feeding them here. Making them relevant.

And for some reason fashion has become synonymous with it. It makes me sad because whenever I say that my interest is fashion, I get added to the category which those girls have defined. I always have to add a: 'real fashion' whenever I tell someone my interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j. View Post
i don't really understand the whole point of being a blogger... at first i thought its interesting since it was new, but now its like uggs. everybody has so much to say about fashion, but the thing is that most of bloggers are clueless. not all of them, but just too many... there is facebook, there is myspace, twitter, so u can post a pic u like or say sth u think is important not only for you, but writing on daily bases and taking pics of your clothes and well yourself is just lame. screams ATTENTION pleaseee.....
i dont need a blog, all i have to say fashion related i say i here and to my fashion obsessed girlfriends.
I think that is what bothers me the most with this phenomenon. Not only on blogs but also in some non-fashion oriented magazines which now always feature a 'fashion corner', but blogs in particular irk me. We have all these self-proclaimed experts telling us what fashion is and what it's not without knowing anything regarding it's history or culture. Nor being able to look beyond whatever gets the most hype today.

In general I feel like most people confuse shopping with fashion..

26-03-2011
front row

As a blogger, personally I started writing because I was studying journalism and thought it was a good outlet.
I don't claim to be a expert of any kind it is just my take on things, now you can take that on board or not. As for bloggers getting famous, you have to remember it is the readers who have got them there, so a lot of people must find that person interesting?
I have struggled on the outfit posting though, it does NOT come natural to me. hahaha

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrassia View Post
the funny thing is, even the so called "minimalistic" (well, or in their own words, "understated", u get the point), they tend to dress exactly the same, the uniform is isabel marant suede ankle boots, dark skinny jeans, crew neck sweater (preferably dark or cream), and isabel marant bator coat. exactly the same, exactly. and they all declare to love stripy shirts to bits. (and that almost kills my love for anything stripy, almost)
well, it's a scene on its own, i guess.

plus: and almost all of they love sofia coppola and her movies. you get the pic.
ah yes...the francophiles...
or perhaps it's the franco-filles......

too true...

what i am seeing now is that fashion industry professionals are finally breaking down and starting their own blogs...
which are way more polished and intelligent and actually sometimes interesting...

so- that's a good thing!

28-03-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrassia View Post
Nothing wrong with that, I love them too . I do get your point though, there are certain things that it almost seems "compulsory" for them to like, and that gets irritating after the 10,000th blog yapping about how great it is.

My real pet peeve is outfit shots filling 10+ pages in a post. But unless you're fashiontoast, whose boyfriend is actually a decent photographer, the faux-editorials need to be given a rest. Having an expensive DSLR and some fancy filters does not make for photographic skill- esp. in fashion photography.

28-03-2011
V.I.P.

At first i was intrigued by fashion bloggers opinions... i have met some when fashion blogs were in its infancy.... now i feel it's gotten too much. everybody's gotta have a blog. it's gotten old. Now, I rather hear random opinions. Streetstyle (not necessarily from fashion industry people) but pedestrians I see when i take a stroll or just out and about no matter where I maybe in the world. Those are my subjects. My blackberry is my memo. (**I'm big at mix-n-match**).

...but don't get me wrong fashion bloggers can be an asset to designers.

Last edited by smartarse; 28-03-2011 at 12:25 PM.
30-03-2011
V.I.P.

i live in a mid sized city that is not known for being a fashion capital by any means. however, on occasion i have walked by people that are on "shoots" on my local high street where the higher end clothing stores are. i bet they are being photographed for their blogs.

Soviet Camaro

My favorite fashion blog now is fyunknowledgablefashionista.tumblr.com

Sample:

V.I.P.

tangerine i dont know if u r joking...

30-03-2011
fashion icon

Bloggers are probably why it takes so long to get in the dressing room of the trendy stores now. Everyone is taking pics of themselves in the mirrors wearing every possible outfit that they aren't even going to buy.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts