How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-03-2011
windowshopping

I was actually one of the fashion bloggers that went to NYFW with Tumblr, but even I didn't get the hype. I started my blog because I was bored and off College for a few weeks, and I've recently been offered a few sponserships. I've obliged because, as an 18 year old, who really says no to free money for having an ad on your page? But I'd hate to become almost professional in what I do - I'd like to savve that for an actual writing job, if I ever get one.

Blogs are getting worse and worse in my opinion. Even my own isn't as great as it used to be. I used to get around 1000 followers a month, but my numbers have been almost consistent since I came back from NY. There's so much unusual hype going around bloggers, and I think after Tumblr's experiment we can kind of admit that it's all going down the drain. No one is original anymore. Those that were original are now considered as celebrities and professionals, and now praise every godforsaken collection and fashion hype they can get their hands on.

Maybe some other form of blogging will come about? Or maybe it'll just fizzle out completely, I dunno.

31-03-2011
front row

What was tumblrs experiment?
I really must find out now

07-04-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrassia View Post
the funny thing is, even the so called "minimalistic" (well, or in their own words, "understated", u get the point), they tend to dress exactly the same, the uniform is isabel marant suede ankle boots, dark skinny jeans, crew neck sweater (preferably dark or cream), and isabel marant bator coat. exactly the same, exactly. and they all declare to love stripy shirts to bits. (and that almost kills my love for anything stripy, almost)
well, it's a scene on its own, i guess.

plus: and almost all of they love sofia coppola and her movies. you get the pic.
Lol, I feel offended. Sure, we all dress the same but sometimes things are loved for a reason And what's wrong with dressing the same, especially if it's a great uniform? People are entitled to dress however they like... I suppose?

08-04-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrassia View Post
the funny thing is, even the so called "minimalistic" (well, or in their own words, "understated", u get the point), they tend to dress exactly the same, the uniform is isabel marant suede ankle boots, dark skinny jeans, crew neck sweater (preferably dark or cream), and isabel marant bator coat. exactly the same, exactly. and they all declare to love stripy shirts to bits. (and that almost kills my love for anything stripy, almost)
well, it's a scene on its own, i guess.

plus: and almost all of they love sofia coppola and her movies. you get the pic.
I get your point about the IM/understated/striped top "scene". But is it no longer possible to genuinely like some aspects of this style or Sofia Coppola and her movies without being categorized as part of some blogger trend?

08-04-2011
front row

^I was thinking the same. Plus, that uniform you're talking about (greengrassia), I've been wearing it for years, and I guess the reason why this so-called scene/blogger trend seems so 'overwhelming' and sudden is because all the 'kindred spirits' found each other's blogs all at once and exchanged links. Oh well...

However, you should go to Paris and see that everyone looks exactly the same there.. who cares as long as one look put together? Additionally, there are plenty of fashion blogs about experimental style out there, perhaps they're your cup of tea..

Last edited by Frenger; 08-04-2011 at 03:18 AM.
08-04-2011
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone666 View Post
I get your point about the IM/understated/striped top "scene". But is it no longer possible to genuinely like some aspects of this style or Sofia Coppola and her movies without being categorized as part of some blogger trend?
Okay, I'm not greengrassia but I just felt the need to get my opinion out on this particular dilemma. Of course it is still possible - as it is possible to enjoy a Godard film or a Schiele painting without being pretentious. The problem with these groups of girls who adore 'french' style, adore Ms Saglio/anyone featured in Gentlewoman or Lula (these are merely easy examples), or adore Sofia is that they so rarely - from what I've read at least - give a genuine reason for their interest in these things. There seems to be no personal thought behind their choices, if there is it is well-concealed. Where are emotions and ideas, visions beyond beauty or the style of a sweater? Those are the interests that make people fascinating, and that provide a sense of genuine reason. Why do they so very much wish to own a Celine bag and a dozen of t-shirts from Marant? In which context would these items help place them? The strive for a perfect minimalist wardrobe ends up losing it's meaning in terms of being an intelligent reaction to speedy consumerism, when it is only written or talked about in terms of wishlists, buying certain items, admiring certain looks. It all ends up appearing shallow, based merely on fitting into a dreamy ideal.. I think that is the very opposite of having style.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaMare View Post
Okay, I'm not greengrassia but I just felt the need to get my opinion out on this particular dilemma. Of course it is still possible - as it is possible to enjoy a Godard film or a Schiele painting without being pretentious. The problem with these groups of girls who adore 'french' style, adore Ms Saglio/anyone featured in Gentlewoman or Lula (these are merely easy examples), or adore Sofia is that they so rarely - from what I've read at least - give a genuine reason for their interest in these things. There seems to be no personal thought behind their choices, if there is it is well-concealed. Where are emotions and ideas, visions beyond beauty or the style of a sweater? Those are the interests that make people fascinating, and that provide a sense of genuine reason. Why do they so very much wish to own a Celine bag and a dozen of t-shirts from Marant? In which context would these items help place them? The strive for a perfect minimalist wardrobe ends up losing it's meaning in terms of being an intelligent reaction to speedy consumerism, when it is only written or talked about in terms of wishlists, buying certain items, admiring certain looks. It all ends up appearing shallow, based merely on fitting into a dreamy ideal.. I think that is the very opposite of having style.
People are more nuanced than that. Why on earth do people have to give genuine reasons for their interest in every single thing they like, find beautiful, etc.. to prove the world that they're not pretentious clones? How exhausting that must be. That would suck all the fun out of blogging – constantly feeling the need to be accountable for one's interests and likes all the time. You're referring to this kind of bloggers as a problem.. to me, it sounds like the problem is that you're horridly scared that all the 'indie' things you like (from the gentlewoman, cult films, coppola, to anything French, etc) will become (even more) mainstream, that too many girls like them or so, that some of the special connections of yours are no longer as special. That's why you want everyone to be accountable for the mutual likes, I guess. Does this make any sense?

Last edited by BetteT; 13-04-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Response to a deleted comment.
08-04-2011
V.I.P.

I agree with StellaMare about the geniune reasons thing... Geniune (reason) is anything but boring, quite the opposite in my opinion... that's where fun and creation starts, when you have to confront genuine to the "stress" of adaptation... But then, fun is a subjective thing and to each their own
And yes, when something that caught your attention for some very personnal reasons is suddendly to be seen everywhere, blogs, streets, whatever, because it has just been judged acceptable or trendy, it's rather easy to find yourself unable to like it anymore because of the overwhelming redundance, it's only a matter of association of ideas... the initial association of ideas is progressively being killed by the (meaningless ?) redundance...
For exemple, I used to love the skinny jean/ ballerina look untill it invaded the streets for the only reason that from first being associated to freedom
(free and easy, spontaneous, yet elegant) it is now associated to something rather
far from any kind of freedom or fun, because it became a norm, an automatism, it looks too much under control, robotic, and in that way, I can't relate anymore to my initial feeling... as simple as that.

Last edited by mariemaud; 08-04-2011 at 03:23 PM.
08-04-2011
V.I.P.

does anyone else think that quite a few of these bloggers are purchasing clothing from stores, keeping the tags and then returning the items after the garment is photographed?

rising star

^I'm sure that must happen as obviously there is a pressure to always be showing new items and outfits, so would make sense for them. Must get pretty time consuming though

scenester

Quote:
I completely understand your point, but I think that is the same for most style/‘fashion’ blogs, no matter what category they fall into.They tend to only show the surface of things, or to only show one part of the person writing the blog or one part of their interests. I can't speak on behalf of any blog as I have never had one myself.. but it is difficult to say if just because a genuine reason (using your definition of genuine) isn’t given for liking or admiring people/designers etc, that a genuine reason doesn’t exist, because of the way that most blogs are written.

08-04-2011
scenester

Quote:
I forgot to add, you seem to be very critical of people who supposedly don't have a genuine interest in what they display on their blogs....but who are you to define what is genuine and what isn't, what or who is intelligent..by being so critical you are just suggesting that everyone blogs and justifies themselves and their interests according to your criteria...

09-04-2011
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenger View Post
People are more nuanced than that. Why on earth do people have to give genuine reasons for their interest in every single thing they like, find beautiful, etc.. to prove the world that they're not pretentious clones? How exhausting that must be. That would suck all the fun out of blogging – constantly feeling the need to be accountable for one's interests and likes all the time. You're referring to this kind of bloggers as a problem.. to me, it sounds like the problem is that you're horridly scared that all the 'indie' things you like (from the gentlewoman, cult films, coppola, to anything French, etc) will become (even more) mainstream, that too many girls like them or so, that some of the special connections of yours are no longer as special. That's why you want everyone to be accountable for the mutual likes, I guess. Does this make any sense?

No, it doesn't quite make sense. Simply because -

a. I'm not saying you have to have a genuine thought behind everything you like - I'm saying that if, for example, you decide to base your entire wardrobe + blog + whatelse on a certain style, a style that pertains to a certain ideal, there should be some thought behind it. I am sure there is, if the interest is really there. I'm questioning why no one seems interested in discussing their interests more in depth, going beneath how things look visually. I would love to know why people like certain things, how they make them feel, what sort of dreams they convey etc.

b. I am not 'into' the Gentlewoman (I have read one issue to try to understand the hype) or Coppola or 'french' things in that sense. I can understand why you'd think that, but these are the bottom interests on a very large iceberg. I don't care if 'too many girls' like them - how would that bother me, laying in bed with my laptop not there.

Basically - I am bothered by how little these people seem to care about sharing their own personal thoughts, likes, talents. All they speak of are purchases and how well-dressed some poor stylist is. I'd have no problem with this 'trend' if it had some meaning to it.

Last edited by BetteT; 13-04-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Removing edited portion of quoted post.
09-04-2011
rising star

^ How can you be so sure that no one is interested in discussing their interests in depth? And if they don't, does that make them seem less genuine in your opinion? Can you not like a certain style or what else only because they are aesthetically satisfying?

I find it weird how you generalize 'these people'. No one is forcing you to read these blogs. A blog is something personal; if they only want to display purchases or whatever, they are allowed to. Simply because you want them to share more of their own personal thoughts, it doesn't mean they should.

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commejeveux View Post
^ How can you be so sure that no one is interested in discussing their interests in depth? And if they don't, does that make them seem less genuine in your opinion? Can you not like a certain style or what else only because they are aesthetically satisfying?

I find it weird how you generalize 'these people'. No one is forcing you to read these blogs. A blog is something personal; if they only want to display purchases or whatever, they are allowed to. Simply because you want them to share more of their own personal thoughts, it doesn't mean they should.
No, of course it doesn't. There's no law saying one should. I don't find people less 'genuine' for it, I simply find them less interesting as bloggers. It's just me that, when stumbling upon a blog like the one written by Frenger - misses the personal approach. That doesn't mean there is something wrong with not going into things in depth. I think it's healthy to not just post a photo of say, Ms Saglio, but to also question for instance the hype surrounding her. Personally, I don't read any 'proper' style blogs daily or even weekly, because I find personal blogs more interesting. This is only my own way of looking at it - you make it seem like I want to force my opinions on the entire world, which is not the case.

Last edited by StellaMare; 09-04-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts