How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-04-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenger View Post
Lol, I feel offended. Sure, we all dress the same but sometimes things are loved for a reason And what's wrong with dressing the same, especially if it's a great uniform? People are entitled to dress however they like... I suppose?

i wasn't mean to be offensive. actually, just a bit sarcastic, i guess, but very light at the same time. i wasn't theorizing anything, didn't go deep. that's why i sound a bit like an irony of myself, as well, which is indeed intended.
yes, people are entitled to dress however they like, even in uniform. and other people are entitled to give opinions of things, in their own way.
to me, i find inspiration mainly from people who add personal touches to things, like a little brooch on an otherwise beautiful but bland coat. or a little quicky color peeking out, something not only look good,but also intresting and even intriguing. those personal touches truly warm my heart and open up my eyes to the personal world that somewhere hidden behind the surface. and seeing uniform doesn't have same kind of effect on me. i guess that's just me and my personal liking, and no offense to anyone in particular.

10-04-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone666 View Post
I get your point about the IM/understated/striped top "scene". But is it no longer possible to genuinely like some aspects of this style or Sofia Coppola and her movies without being categorized as part of some blogger trend?
well, i think it's very possible. i genuinely like some aspects of this style as well. i guess its all goes down to personal touches. to incorporate certain elements into your "own style". like adding little things here and there, or break certain formulas, or do whatever. cause the reason i like this style is i understand it to be "french gamine" originally (at least that's what i like), and "playfulness" is the true spirit of such style. nothing too serious, casual, simple, easy, free, but still to be able to play. i hope i make some sense here.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenger View Post
^I was thinking the same. Plus, that uniform you're talking about (greengrassia), I've been wearing it for years, and I guess the reason why this so-called scene/blogger trend seems so 'overwhelming' and sudden is because all the 'kindred spirits' found each other's blogs all at once and exchanged links. Oh well...

However, you should go to Paris and see that everyone looks exactly the same there.. who cares as long as one look put together? Additionally, there are plenty of fashion blogs about experimental style out there, perhaps they're your cup of tea..
hi, i've been to paris
when i was there, or any place in the world, i'm most attracted to personal style that have some personal elements. like the use of color, pattern, shape, something even a bit odd, but not forced. something fun, something quriky, but not contrived. something unexpected, something surprises me. i'm not drawn to people who seem to dress the same, no matter how good they look. what remain on my mind and linger in my heart after days, month and years after i left, are those little things that stand out, like a flash of red among all black, dirt on rather elegant looking shoes, a tie with the most intriging color peeking out from the layers of grey, things like that. i'm moved by people who dare to be different, but at same time hold on to their own. but it's not by all means a rational judgement. those feelings are very much like sentiments. totally irrational and mundane, impulsive, intoxicating. like sometimes i fall in love with someone not because he's decent, nice, or respectful, or in any form of elegance. no, just opposite. quite often i'm drawn to danger and mystique, things unknown and unexpected. and that sums up what style rings my heart.

Last edited by greengrassia; 10-04-2011 at 11:44 AM.
10-04-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaMare View Post
Okay, I'm not greengrassia but I just felt the need to get my opinion out on this particular dilemma. Of course it is still possible - as it is possible to enjoy a Godard film or a Schiele painting without being pretentious. The problem with these groups of girls who adore 'french' style, adore Ms Saglio/anyone featured in Gentlewoman or Lula (these are merely easy examples), or adore Sofia is that they so rarely - from what I've read at least - give a genuine reason for their interest in these things. There seems to be no personal thought behind their choices, if there is it is well-concealed. Where are emotions and ideas, visions beyond beauty or the style of a sweater? Those are the interests that make people fascinating, and that provide a sense of genuine reason. Why do they so very much wish to own a Celine bag and a dozen of t-shirts from Marant? In which context would these items help place them? The strive for a perfect minimalist wardrobe ends up losing it's meaning in terms of being an intelligent reaction to speedy consumerism, when it is only written or talked about in terms of wishlists, buying certain items, admiring certain looks. It all ends up appearing shallow, based merely on fitting into a dreamy ideal.. I think that is the very opposite of having style.
actually, for the same reason i would like someone to have an intelligent conversation about sofia coppola's movies and the reason why they like them but to my disappointment, there rarely seem to be some nice thought-out analysis out there from her fans. the best reviews i've read so far are from people who critisize her movies. some of them are really well-written and thought-out, and give valid reasons and debate on a very solid ground. i don't dislike all her movies but frankly, i'm confused by her work and lots of times, i'm not sold on her style in general. (i used to be, but grow out of it and dare i say, get really bored of it eventually) but that's a whole different topic, sorry for getting a bit off.

front row

I've noticed one particularly annoying trend on fashion tumblrs- they hardly ever credit an image properly. 9 times out of 10 the image "source" is another tumblr that hasn't bothered to name the photographer or model (this happens often when it's a slightly older editorial/photograph), forget about where they actually got the scanned image from (and given the nature of tumblr, it's usually posted with no comment or other analysis, which makes it particularly irritating that they think they're entitled to just use whatever they feel like with no acknowledgment- your "creative expression" of a stream of pictures doesn't trump someone else's rights).

Technically, those of us who scan features for the forum/our own blogs might also be in the wrong, but at least we make the effort to credit the owners/people who made the photograph. On the positive side, it makes me respect TFS's image crediting rules (most if not all fashion tumblr images were originally posted here anyway) and those bloggers who do credit or try to create original content.

03-05-2011
V.I.P.

The Sartorialist's Scott Schuman on fashion bloggers. I dont really like his implication that you need to be rich and have an "unlimited" wardrobe...

"Iím not really a fan of personal style blog só you know, the ones [on which] these girls just shoot their outfits and all this stuff. I havenít seen one that I really like or that draws my attention every day. The good and bad of that is that most these girls only have a limited wardrobe; they donít have many clothes to shoot and I donít think most of them have come up with looks that are that interesting, that draw me. It will be great to be able to look back and say, 'Wow, this is how real girls were kind of into that thing, dressed at that time.' And then maybe historically theyíll be able to pull out similarities. It seems like every girl, everywhere in the world, has a pair of denim cutoff shorts Ö but I donít think itís so much of a contemporary thing but what it will mean historically." (style.com)

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
The Sartorialist's Scott Schuman on fashion bloggers. I dont really like his implication that you need to be rich and have an "unlimited" wardrobe...

"Iím not really a fan of personal style blog só you know, the ones [on which] these girls just shoot their outfits and all this stuff. I havenít seen one that I really like or that draws my attention every day. The good and bad of that is that most these girls only have a limited wardrobe; they donít have many clothes to shoot and I donít think most of them have come up with looks that are that interesting, that draw me. It will be great to be able to look back and say, 'Wow, this is how real girls were kind of into that thing, dressed at that time.' And then maybe historically theyíll be able to pull out similarities. It seems like every girl, everywhere in the world, has a pair of denim cutoff shorts Ö but I donít think itís so much of a contemporary thing but what it will mean historically." (style.com)

He does have a point though, it's endlessly boring to follow average people's fashion/style blogs and sometimes I question the point of those, it's nothing new or innovative, seems like a way to 'be seen'.
Only people who are interesting to follow are horribly rich ones because it's fascinating to peek into their closets, even it's just 300 Louboutins, and people who make their own clothes and jewelery, those are beyond fascinating, but also very rare. Not that I equate red soles, pile of cash or ability to shred denim and sew a flowery baby doll dress with style or anything, but it's just waay more fun to look at higher fashion things and original pieces than another Zara/Topshop/H&M look that I've seen on 900 blogs or polyvore before and mostly in same combination. That's just pointless.
That said, I also find Scott's Sartorialist blog irrelevant (is my personal opinion, not a fact) because to me it seems like 95% looks there are some sort of hipsters and I'm 100% sure none of those people there have inspired me to wear anything I've seen there, just the opposite.
Yea, yea, I'm horrible and have sky high standards, I know, but I like it that way.

Vogue Paris Intern

^ I completely agree with you.
Regarding the Sartorialist, I find that his posts have gone down in quality. They are no longer as inspiring / thought-provocative / amazing as they used to be.

illustrator

I don't think I regularly read any fashion blogs. I make up my own mind about fashion, what appeals to me, etc.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchCactus View Post
^ I completely agree with you.
Regarding the Sartorialist, I find that his posts have gone down in quality. They are no longer as inspiring / thought-provocative / amazing as they used to be.
I feel like that is the way it is with all bloggers because when they started out it was more creative and fun but now they get a taste of the money and fame and just post to get people on their sites to get the revenues from it.
I was reading one girls blog and she said she felt pressure to dress nice everyday and my first thought was why do have to photograph it everyday? just skip a day. It's not that complicated . I like fashion blogs if their something fun for someone, but when it gets to be a business and only means of money to someone, it has more than a tinge of desperation about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoflight
it's just waay more fun to look at higher fashion things and original pieces than another Zara/Topshop/H&M look that I've seen on 900 blogs or polyvore before and mostly in same combination. That's just pointless.

I agree it's way more fun, but most people can't afford it and maybe that's the appeal of those blogs who have Zara etc is to see how they each style it differently but that is the key.
I don't agree with him on that they need an endless amount of clothing because sometimes people tend to get creative with a piece of clothing and that can give way to inspiration to style a piece differently.

I do agree with Schumans earlier point on fashion bloggers posting so many photographs on one outfit. It's really not necessary to have 8 photos of one outfit at every angle or act like you're a celebrity and get "paparazzi" like shots. I mean, come on . I find myself unsubscribing and leaving their blogs because it shows more how big their head and ego are than how great their outfit or bag is.

unspecified

Money can't buy style. If you have a style that's your own, it's regardless on the money you spend. Although that is not what mayor brands want people to believe. Personal style is the opposite of what most bloggers display, wich would be collective trends... That is unfortunately what makes most fashion blogs boring, they are too much of the same, and just for the sake of looking pretty in the picture.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
05-05-2011
windowshopping

I agree I don't like blogs that are just the blogger photographing their own outfits, I find I only go back to blogs that have a completely original concept and really great design: ie, Into The Gloss, Garance Dore.

07-05-2011
tfs star

Into the gloss is great, but it's a beauty blog.

I pretty much agree with you all. Most of these people are only interested in their egos, they buy the same stuff, follow every single trend, take tons of pics of the same outfit (tons of quantity- zero quality) and most of them have zero knowledge of fashion in terms of history, designers and even vocabulary.
they're just PLAIN BORING! yet, brands are so desperate and seem to have such little knowledge on how to approach new customers that they rely on them- sometimes too much IMHO.

V.I.P.

greengrassia, is there a film thread here? I think there was a "Somewhere" thread. Anyhow, I teach film and would be happy to discuss the merits of Sofia's film-making with you, like, for instance, that she is an absolute master of mise en scene, which may come from her photography schooling or from growing up behind the frame on her dad's sets.

As for the average fashion blog, with regular people shooting themselves wearing their own clothes in the mirror, or having their "BFF" shoot their outfits, I avoid them altogether. I look at streetstyle blogs during fashion week, and candids of editors and stars, but that is for inspiration only, not reading. Many of the blogs have little to say that interests me. I do my reading elsewhere. For example, here the reading is considerably more interesting! But, I still like a good book or some strong journalism.

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 08-05-2011 at 11:26 AM.
08-05-2011
unspecified

I think the main problem of some personal style blogs is that there is too much of "isn't it (or me) cute?" "I love it so much" and nothing more, there's not even an explanation to why is it so great, but even that would already be boring..

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts