How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
21-06-2011
  286
rising star
 
Kayote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPrince View Post
Being a blogger myself I'm obviously biased on this particular subject...
That being said, I loathe blogger oriented fashion/style blogs. I'm much more into mood boards than personal promotion! Freebies are cool but you lose your personal identity when you become contractually attached to some brands/stores, and then you're just another cute blogger with great clothes but limited (expressible) opinion. History repeats itself, this time not with magazines but with blogs. "Advertisers" ruin everything!
So I take it you dont get any income out of it? It must be hard to maintain a blog (with reg. updates) & not be earning any significant amount of it...

  Reply With Quote
 
21-06-2011
  287
rising star
 
rosiecheeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Neverland
Gender: femme
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayote View Post
So I take it you dont get any income out of it? It must be hard to maintain a blog (with reg. updates) & not be earning any significant amount of it...
Maintained as a hobby it's really not that hard I imagine. If you like to do it, it's not too bad that you don't get paid big $$

  Reply With Quote
21-06-2011
  288
scenester
 
HPrince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Porto - Portugal
Gender: homme
Posts: 60
I guess I've never faced blogging as a money earning activity... Not this kind of fashion blogging anyway! But who am I? Those were just my two cents! I need to figure myself out before I can judge whatever it is!

__________________
TMdot | Fashion Blog Check it out!
Follow TM on TWITTER!
  Reply With Quote
26-06-2011
  289
backstage pass
 
MimiV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beirut/Paris/Stockholm
Gender: femme
Posts: 716
One of the things that hit me early on when reading fashion blogs is that there is a category of fashion blogs that aren't so much about the bloggers style/clothes as the beauty/looks of the bloggers. This is normal in the way that fashion and beauty often go hand in hand, and fashion bloggers "model" what they are wearing in there photos.

Personally, however, if all I want to do is see pictures of a pretty girl, I'll click on to a modeling agency.

__________________
FashionBeirut.com/PersonalStyle
  Reply With Quote
26-06-2011
  290
front row
 
adrianadior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Croatia
Gender: femme
Posts: 339
2:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpEi2hGQok
**it might be just me and my prejudice but i really don't like most of the bloggers and for sure don't take them serious and nothing they say about anything when it comes to fashion.some people need to educate themselves properly before they start talking about something(perfect example in the video) and they should definetely start from the scratch because judging by how eloquent or should i say non-eloquent they are i can see their knowledge is quite poor.


Last edited by MulletProof; 26-06-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: removed offensive/off-topic comment. See tFS Guidelines for more information.
  Reply With Quote
26-06-2011
  291
tfs star
 
Ives927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,742
^ Explain to me what's so special about that chick? Went to her blog and it's the most generic thing ever, just posts of her outfits. Those blogs seem to get the most comments, too, which I suppose attract PR companies based on their "readership" (viewership would be more accurate) to invite these airheads to the shows, making their egos even bigger. Her style is nothing exceptional, generic like her blog.

I love blogs that have something to say and offer, that's why I love Hapsical and DeadFleurette. I have no interest in blogs that only consists of daily outfits and a few sentences about what they're wearing, they bore me to tears. Why would I be interested in their style when I can just go to Jak&Jil for real inspirations from credible fashion insiders?. These wannabes offer nothing to the fashion industry, but clutter it even more. It's rather sad luxury companies feel the need to invite these useless people in order to further promote themselves.


Last edited by Ives927; 26-06-2011 at 09:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote
26-06-2011
  292
Vogue Paris Intern
 
FrenchCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Paris, France
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,902
^^ I totally get your point and I agree, but the bloggers you talk about are not the ones to blame in priority for this situation. Fashion houses and the media are the ones who value their opinions as if they had a lot of credibility and invite them front row.

__________________
Blog - Instagram - Twitter - Facebook
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2011
  293
rising star
 
rosiecheeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Neverland
Gender: femme
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianadior View Post
2:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpEi2hGQok
**it might be just me and my prejudice but i really don't like most of the bloggers and for sure don't take them serious and nothing they say about anything when it comes to fashion.some people need to educate themselves properly before they start talking about something(perfect example in the video) and they should definetely start from the scratch because judging by how eloquent or should i say non-eloquent they are i can see their knowledge is quite poor.
But lots of magazines are exactly the same nowadays. They are the Cosmopolitans and Glamours and Grazia's of the blogosphere and obviously attract lots of attention because it's so simple (not in a good way!) and easy for the common people who just like to be entertained by fashion.

  Reply With Quote
27-06-2011
  294
windowshopping
 
SylviaMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris suburbs
Gender: femme
Posts: 26
I totally agree with RosieCheeks, they dress a little better than the average woman who likes fashion but that wouldn't understand what happens in a real fashion show (and I don't pretend that I do). They have a view on fashion, clothing and everything about it that is really different from what you see in Vogue etc.. because it's what I would/could wear on a daily basis if I go to school or to work or just to hang out with friends. And their view on catwalks is not as analytical as what you would expect from a fashion journalist who has a real insight because they've been in the business for years. It's more like they talk about their own feelings, and I find that quite interesting, though at times when it's just "I post an outfit and tada", it is only to find inspiration and I tell myself "oh that's nice, I could wear something like that". But I definitely don't expect a analysis in depth of a catwalk show. So maybe one can say bloggers don't have a lot of objectivity nor lots of knowledge but they definitely don't pretend to be doing so (except for a few who are good at it like Susie, Garance Doré or Géraldine Dormoy)

However I must admit that the comments that Chiara made where a bit strange, she talks about "checks" and i thought it was weird, because the prorsum collection is very different from the usual Burberry. And even though they do checks sometimes, to me, it definitely isn't the trademark of that line. But maybe I'm wrong

  Reply With Quote
27-06-2011
  295
illustrator
 
HiHeels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,057
Readers really create the beasts though. The reality is that readership goes way up when I post personal pics, and it's quieter when I write about style, etc. People want to see pictures of bloggers, and blogs that satisfy that do get a ton of readers.

I think its a little silly to write about fashion and the clothing that people have to choose from because I don't think consumers should be told what to like, and I'm not entirely clear on why people listen to that stuff (or read it) at all. But a discussion on conscious consumption, or dealing with the wardrobe you already have" or something useful like this, I do value. Reviewing the clothes that are for sale? No!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
27-06-2011
  296
scenester
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 79
Excuse my cynicism, but fashion bloggers are going to produce things that the general public wants to see. And the general public is a lot dumber (baser, more superficial, simpler minded) than this thread seems to crediting.

That said, some of these more established bloggers like this Chiara girl and at times, Tavi, are ridiculous. Tavi clearly has some growing up to do (her teenage angst seems SO familiar - I'm sure many of us discover elements of ourselves in her drabble about high school conformity and hypocrisy), and I really wish people would just let her do that instead of pushing her opinions into the limelight. If history repeats itself even just a little bit, she's going to regret all those Courtney Love/My So Called Life/Virgin Suicides references in 5 years.

I can't decide if I should cut Chiara a break, since English is clearly not her first language, but one would think she would've picked up some adjectives that are better than "nice." Also, did she say "ethno-chic?" What is that supposed to mean?

__________________
kittenmasks.com
  Reply With Quote
28-06-2011
  297
fashion elite
 
Katnani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Braga, Portugal
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,623
To be honest, Chiara's style tends to bore me. But I'm biased, I love a blog that brings something different, unusual and fresh and gorgeous photographs! Anyway, her speech was quite mediocre, but hey!, she's not american neither british and maybe she got caught up by surprise and didn't enjoy the collection that much and didn't know what else to say...

__________________
My dream ANGEL LINEUP- Adriana | Doutzen | Shanina | Emanuela | Magdalena | Rosie | Sui He
  Reply With Quote
28-06-2011
  298
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayote View Post
So I take it you dont get any income out of it? It must be hard to maintain a blog (with reg. updates) & not be earning any significant amount of it...
well, that's the initial spirit of having blog.

I keep mine just as a hobby (like most of the people do), I nourish it and I get nourished by it, that's all.

__________________
minimal row
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2011
  299
rising star
 
Kayote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 169
I do follow I think three fashion blogs but I rarely read them as most of the posts are not relevant to me.

However, its very positive that the fashion news is getting more spread. Fashion magazines had far too much power over the public perception and this desperately needed to change. Hasnt anyone noticed how the fashion magazines are always trying to kiss up to the labels just so can be invited to the launch events.

Fashion bloggers have their own say and own opinions, if I dont agree with 100 of them, hopefully I'll fine another 100 who I will agree with. All of this means, more diversity, more creativity, more style and more liberty

I hope!

Best,

  Reply With Quote
05-07-2011
  300
fashion insider
 
Les_Sucettes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by primad View Post

That said, some of these more established bloggers like this Chiara girl and at times, Tavi, are ridiculous. Tavi clearly has some growing up to do (her teenage angst seems SO familiar - I'm sure many of us discover elements of ourselves in her drabble about high school conformity and hypocrisy), and I really wish people would just let her do that instead of pushing her opinions into the limelight. If history repeats itself even just a little bit, she's going to regret all those Courtney Love/My So Called Life/Virgin Suicides references in 5 years.
Gosh I thought i was the only one, reading Tavi's blog is like stepping into a parallel world where every single one of your stupid teenage thoughts is given validation by a big group of sycophants that form her readers.
But it's not her fault really, the ones totally responsible are the ones that made her believe that her opinion matter in any way.
Actually i'm really glad that where no such things as blogs, or internet for that matter when i was a teen. It is the stuff of my nightmares having the verbal diarrhoea i sprouted at that age to haunt me through the ages.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.