How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2011
tfs star

Repelstetje I'm sure you will find this amusing https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...15261531898606

20-08-2011
unspecified

OH DEAR!!! Do they have time to do the reserch? How embarrasing! The worst thing is that as every plaggiarism, the copier only gets the superficial, and miss the escence. They do not copy STYLE, but try to re-create outfits!!! This is just sad. This ends up in the beggining of the most popular complaint: if you don't have a clue, don't make a blog. You cannot make a PERSONAL STYLE BLOG with some other's outfits!!!!

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
23-08-2011
backstage pass

Frankly speaking in my opinion everyone’s entitled to having the sort of blog he or she wants to have. When someone’s merely posting their random daily clothes and h&m purchases I’d find it strange to call it “fashion blog”, but apparently there’s no rule about what’s allowed to be called fashion blog, and what’s not, and obviously there are a lot of people who love to “read” this sort of blogs.
I just find that pretentious way, in which many bloggers are presenting themselves, ridiculous. Like the paparazzi inspired outfit shoots – gooosh, how can you be so full of yourself?? Frankly speaking any “my boyfriend is an ambitious amateur photographer” pictures are a total turn-off for me. And how they all look the same….
Especially afterdrk IMO (not following her regularly though) is trying to come across as that all individual, minimalist aesthete, then copies that other girl. LOL. And today she added the final “twist” to a minimal shirt-shorts outfit by leaving the top buttons of her pants open. Seriously impressive….

I also totally don’t get Chiara Whatsoever. I don’t really feel attracted by how she’s presenting herself, and she doesn’t look like someone who has a lot to say (see ethno-chic ).

But what annoys me the most – as it’s already often been said here – is the reception these vain bloggers get by the fashion world. I know it has a lot to do with marketing and PR, but actually one shouldn’t have a high opinion of a designer who invites Chiara to sit in his front row and give an “interview” after the show.

I must say I like anything that comes with some content and an opinion. I don’t expect a top knowledge in fashion (which I myself def DON’T have); simply find it interesting to read what other people are thinking. therefore I prefer blogs which aren't only about fashion but thats not really on-topic here...

Actually one of my least liked blogs is our German no. 1 “Les Mads”. They might be useful as an information source, but IMO collecting news about a creative business doesn’t turn you into a creative person, which they’re trying to come across as (btw isn’t there only one girl left?). I always missed an opinion on their blog, apart from “loving” anything, since they are so big. after having seen an interview with them (when they were still two) and having read a lot of reviews of their book, I’m quite glad they don’t have one….. They didn’t look as if they could contribute to a discussion, but pretty full of them selves and stuck up instead – as people normally do when they’re trying to be something they are not. Hmmm I actually didn’t want to sound THAT harsh, tbh, maybe one’s just more critical when it comes to one’s own country’s things… anyway, I'm feeling better now

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Smith View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] ... I’d find it strange to call it “fashion blog”, but apparently there’s no rule about what’s allowed to be called fashion blog, and what’s not ...
This is the truth! I'm strangely on the opposite end of a falsely labeled "fashion blog" ... I don't write about fashion, and the photographs I include with my writing are not "fashion" images, least not in the literal sense (they're not from fashion magazines, fashion editorials, they weren't shot with "fashion" in mind) ... needless to say, I'm surprised and confused when people refer to my blog as a "fashion blog". It's gotten a bit better in recent times, as I've veered sharper and sharper from anything directly fashion (years ago, and I do mean years, I used to post fashion editorials sometimes and occasionally talked about it, that's it.)

My readers wouldn't what to know/see I was wearing every day ... if I'm not going out, I stay in my pajamas until dinnertime. And I'll wear my favorite clothing to rags! I have a very sparse wardrobe, as I don't like to have a lot of clothes/any material things.

Last edited by Susanna-Cole; 23-08-2011 at 06:46 PM.
23-08-2011
V.I.P.

^ Yes same with my site. They call it a fashion blog while I only post digitals of new faces...

24-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna-Cole View Post
This is the truth! I'm strangely on the opposite end of a falsely labeled "fashion blog" ... I don't write about fashion, and the photographs I include with my writing are not "fashion" images, least not in the literal sense (they're not from fashion magazines, fashion editorials, they weren't shot with "fashion" in mind) ... needless to say, I'm surprised and confused when people refer to my blog as a "fashion blog". It's gotten a bit better in recent times, as I've veered sharper and sharper from anything directly fashion (years ago, and I do mean years, I used to post fashion editorials sometimes and occasionally talked about it, that's it.)

My readers wouldn't what to know/see I was wearing every day ... if I'm not going out, I stay in my pajamas until dinnertime. And I'll wear my favorite clothing to rags! I have a very sparse wardrobe, as I don't like to have a lot of clothes/any material things.
and yet---here you are regularly posting on a fashion forum...

now i'm the one who's confused...

:p

24-08-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
and yet---here you are regularly posting on a fashion forum...

now i'm the one who's confused...

:p
Actually, I think "regularly posting" would be a great exaggeration. I post something every couple months to a few months or so. I used to post regularly, years ago, but don't much anymore, as my interest in fashion has waned some, from when I was younger, and my lifestyle has evolved in a different direction. (Yes, you'd think I'd just delete my account, however, old habits die hard, and there's still some threads I subscribe to that I like to weigh in on, from time to time, etc ... )

I'm not implying I don't like fashion, in any way or form ... I don't see why my belonging / occasionally posting to a fashion forum would make it confusing for me not to have fashion blog, but rather, a blog about other things ...

Last edited by Susanna-Cole; 24-08-2011 at 07:05 AM.
24-08-2011
V.I.P.

oh my gosh, that il covo delle soloavvilite facebook community is so funny. here are some of their photo comparisons of bloggers.

Last edited by lucy92; 24-08-2011 at 08:44 AM.
24-08-2011
V.I.P.

source : il covo delle soloavvilite facebook community

Away From Here

Quote:
Actually, I think "regularly posting" would be a great exaggeration. I post something every couple months to a few months or so. I used to post regularly, years ago, but don't much anymore, as my interest in fashion has waned some, from when I was younger, and my lifestyle has evolved in a different direction. (Yes, you'd think I'd just delete my account, however, old habits die hard, and there's still some threads I subscribe to that I like to weigh in on, from time to time, etc ... )

I'm not implying I don't like fashion, in any way or form ... I don't see why my belonging / occasionally posting to a fashion forum would make it confusing for me not to have fashion blog, but rather, a blog about other things ...
seriously...posting on a fashion forum does not ipso facto mean your blog has to be about fashion! i could have an account here and a blog about mulching techniques b/c guess what? i like both!

24-08-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Smith View Post
Especially afterdrk IMO (not following her regularly though) is trying to come across as that all individual, minimalist aesthete, then copies that other girl. LOL. And today she added the final “twist” to a minimal shirt-shorts outfit by leaving the top buttons of her pants open. Seriously impressive….
I like her outfits from time to time, but a personal assistant and an office... I think some bloggers need to stop taking themselves so serious.

24-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:

awww...
no worries susanna...i was just being silly...
i thought the...... smilie made that clear...
i think it's good to be silly sometimes...
after all...it's fashion... it's supposed to be fun!...

and this thread is specifically about fashion bloggers, after all...so i found it sorta funny...that's all...

lucy- those images from that facebook are really funny!

Last edited by softgrey; 24-08-2011 at 07:53 PM.
01-09-2011
scenester

I'm curious, what do you guys define as a "fashion blogger"?

To me, there are a few categories:

1) Outfit/shopping/"I like this" blogs - people who post outfits, what they bought, what they want to buy. At the celebrity end of this scale, you have the Elin Klings, the Rumis, the Jane Aldridges, the Cherry Blossom Girls...bit boring but if I like their style, I have no problem subscribing for a bit of inspiration.

1[a]) A sub-category of this would be the kind of blog that's always telling me about the latest from Prada, the new nail polish colours from Chanel or Essie, their latest fave thing from J Crew, the ASOS preview they were invited to - it's like reading a email newsletter, but with no discernable personality. It always feels really uncurated and I never see the point of people telling me what shops are selling and not even giving a proper point of view on them. And there are always too many sponsored posts.

2) Style blogs - the kind devoted to a certain aesthetic and you see some exploration of a particular look and its influences, and it's almost educational to see what these bloggers post because it seems more informed. You feel there's some thought and curation beyond "what looks good". There will be posts of interesting edits, vids, occasional outfits, critiques of a collection, films, books etc. I like such blogs even if it's not my style, Discotheque Confusion is one of them, and I like Le Portillon and Pret a Porter P too, just to raise a few examples. Style Rookie would fall into this category for me too, and so would Style Bubble. These usually have very clear and defined aesthetic and mood.

2[a]) I would say a sub category of this is the rise of those blogs that chronicle wardrobe building and developing a style - Dead Fleurette is one of these. These blogs seem to be able developing a thoughtful attitude towards clothing and shopping and I enjoy them because sometimes they talk about the very same struggles I face when I look at my wardrobe.

I feel that this 2[a] category is a subjective one and one isn't necessarily better than another - I usually end up following the bloggers whose personality or taste I happen to feel an affinity for; and that's highly subjective. I like Les Anti-Modernes, the abovementioned Dead Fleurette, Capture the Castle, Assembled Hazardly, S of the former Mommy Style, Notes from a Mouse, Her Ribbon and Her Bows, just to name a few.

(The blogs in 2 and 2[a] could easily fit into each others' categories)

3) The fashion insiders and personalities: I'm thinking of Liberty London Girl, Disney Roller Girl, Tales of Endearment, Garance Dore. Their personality is part of the content, along with their takes on what's happening in fashion, and also the content they personally produce. Garance Dore is really more than just a streetstyle photographer - she has always injected herself and her personal thoughts alongside the people she shoots.

There are many more categories we can think of surely, but I don't have enough energy and time to think it through, haha. And now we have all these Tumblrs devoted to very specific styles. I don't even know how to begin sorting those out.

I think the best blogs, regardless of what category they fall into, are ones when the blogger's point of view and personality really comes across, where you really hear a voice behind what you see.

PS: I may have lost my train of thought a bit with this post. Apologies if I've lost anyone.

01-09-2011
clever ain't wise

^Maybe vintage blogs / fashion archives / fashion photography blogs could be added to the list.

I've seen a number of such blogs, anyway (and I have one or two). It's an entirely different thing since fashion is mostly about expressing oneself or expressing what one feels one should express. Fashion research is nothing like that....it is an interest in fashion quite separate from oneself.

02-09-2011
tfs star

Lady Gaga has vaguely delved into this discussion: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...&postcount=383

Personally, I think she's completely off the mark.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts