How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-09-2011
front row

^yeah, I honestly don't think she understands the idea that a fashion critic may, you know, be critical of something. And I don't see Lady Gaga taking puff-piece-writing fashion editors and magazine writers to task when they fall allover themselves to praise whatever their advertisers have put out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liny View Post
I think the best blogs, regardless of what category they fall into, are ones when the blogger's point of view and personality really comes across, where you really hear a voice behind what you see.
YES. So many people seem to think that "fashion blog"=pictures of yourself or nothing, but they're missing the point by miles. Sure, getting to see the face of the blog makes it easier to get the blog's "personality", but that doesn't mean there's no other way to put your stamp on your site.

02-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
^Maybe vintage blogs / fashion archives / fashion photography blogs could be added to the list.

I've seen a number of such blogs, anyway (and I have one or two). It's an entirely different thing since fashion is mostly about expressing oneself or expressing what one feels one should express. Fashion research is nothing like that....it is an interest in fashion quite separate from oneself.
i like that sort of thing a lot myself...
and i also like blogs that are about pattern making ...
and ones comparing similar editorials...
like really old ones next to new ones...
or really vintage designer pieces next to new designs that are very much the same...

i like the historical references like that---and just knowing where stuff came from and seeing how (and if) it has evolved...
those are the blogs that are really fashion with a capital 'F' in my book...
they are entertaining and also informative...

personal style blogs are ok---but they get boring really quickly...
i almost never follow them..
i just look once and then keep moving...
you have to bring more to the table to keep me interested...
and i want a point of view...
but not necessarily every detail of your entire personal life...
*that's when the vanity issue kicks in for me*

i think you have to edit yourself carefully...
i see it as having my own mini magazine in a way...
which i enjoy...
even if nobody reads it...

i really love everything i post on there and i love the way it all goes together and you can really understand why i've chosen to post the things i've posted...
it's all the same point of view..
it's not pictures of me...and yet it is ...
if you get what i'm saying...

and it's nice to share it with others who might enjoy the same type of things...
*even better when they post comments!

it is so fun when a complete stranger says that they really like something i posted...
it makes me feel so good that i brought them some moment of enjoyment...
and in a very real way, we are sharing something...even if it is in the virtual world...

so...
yeah...that's the kind of blog i like...
:p

Last edited by softgrey; 02-09-2011 at 04:10 PM.
02-09-2011
windowshopping

Once I first started to frequent style blogs, I really enjoyed seeing what outfits the bloggers put together. I honestly was clueless when it came to styling outfits and they served as great inspiration. After all, the thing I liked most about them was that they all had individual style and confidence in that. But after awhile, I did notice that they all started looking the same and their "individual" style wasn't really exclusive to them, everyone was copying each other. When I started my blog focusing on my love for fashion magazines, at first I wanted to be the popular blogger, but now I just post for myself when I think about it. I find that the bloggers that write as if noone were reading or following them make the best bloggers; the ones that blog for the fun of it, not for popularity or fame.

08-09-2011
front row

Is it even possible to have a style which is entirely exclusive of all others? I have been wondering about this, and although I have been irked by the sameness of many fashion blogs in the past, I came to the conclusion that like attracts like, and that it isn't so much an issue of 'copying' as it is discovering things in others which are also reflections of yourself - i.e., having similar influences and tastes. So perhaps these similar-minded bloggers simply flock together, and when a certain style or trend has gained enough momentum it can create a sort of homogenous treacle effect.. the sensation that you are wading through a sort of facsimile soup. (crappy analogy, sorry folks!)

I guess I am saying that the words 'copying' and 'inspired' have taken on rather potent meanings here, and hardly anyone will be prepared to admit (or accept) that they might be copying.

Do people think that this will be more prevalent in younger bloggers? Might there be an age, background, educational aspect to this also? I have noticed many people actively trying to extract themselves from the homogenous soup, and yet sometimes this in itself leads to yet another trend-as-we-know-it. I am always interested in how these things work, and tend to like reading both blogs which are similar to my own aesthetic as well as those which are wildly different. I would actually become bored if I limited myself to reading only those which were directly relevant to me.
I think that we all have such individual tastes when it comes to blog reading, and I wonder why so many of us take it so personally...what one person loves, another will surely loathe, and so on. Still, it is nice to know that all of our tastes are somewhat catered for, or else the blogging universe would be rather dull. I guess I'm just intrigued by it all, in a somewhat detached way, it is such a revealing and exciting element of culture.

I would also imagine that blogs which are solely in the game of copying would not actually stand the test of time. I would hope that it might take much more effort to keep something rolling for so long. A copyist mentality would become quickly fatigued by a lack of response. Just thoughts...

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 08-09-2011 at 10:52 AM.
28-09-2011
V.I.P.

this scott schuman guy is hilarious going on and on about how much "integrity" he has when his photos are highly staged. and please, he'd love to work for a prestigious magazine. (the-talks.com)

Talking about financial benefits. Do you make money off your blog or do you make money because of what you have created around your blog?

Both.
How?

American Apparel bought advertising for the whole year and then I just got an email yesterday that Net-A-Porter.com is going to buy advertisements for the rest of the year (2010) as well. So those two ads alone are a good fraction of a million dollars: more than a quarter million and less than a half a million. The key for me, and for Garance also, is like any good business: diversity. I make money from shooting campaigns and editorials, from prints, the rerelease of my photos in different magazines, and from doing personal appearances. I make money from a bunch of different places.
So are the times when a blog couldn’t make any money over?

Yes, the blog itself is really making money. My audience is so much larger than everybody else’s that advertisers, well at least American Apparel told me that I am not in their internet budget. My order is so big and they have to pay so much that I am actually in their magazine budget. That comes from having a good size audience.
Also the price of an ad on your page for a whole year is still fairly cheap compared to, let’s say, a double page in a big fashion magazine.

Oh yeah definitely. But I think the thing that has worked really well, and this is potentially a new day in media, is that what they are buying into is not just the image but also the amount of integrity. The thing that I am very proud of is, even though they bought ads for an entire year, I have no relationship with my advertisers; I have no contact with them.
They are not calling you saying, “Every month we need to have this and that.”

No, there is nothing. I don’t think of them as advertisers; I think of them like a sponsor. They are kind of sponsoring the site. They let me go out there and do my thing.
Have magazines lost their integrity because of the power advertisers have?

I think everyone knows not to believe in magazines anymore, they know that magazines are just page after page of advertisers.
What do you mean?

Magazines are driven by fear: they have to keep these advertisers and do these things for them. But now blogs have grown so big that I get emails like that all the time. But we know, Garance and I, that the thing for us is the level of integrity so we just don’t do it.

front row

His modesty humbles me....

fashion insider

Lately, I've been staying away from the "style" blogs, because frankly most of them don't have any style and it's starting to abuse my imagination. I've decided to go back to my version of a style blog by reading the biographies of the most stylish women in the world and using my imagination to put the outfits together based on what's been described by the author. It's a fun game for me as it also has me challenging myself to dress to express my personality and not my wallet. Right now, I'm currently reading Infinite Variety a book on the Marchesa Luisa Casati. It reminds me that real style comes from discovering your own "treasures" so to speak and creating a new visual language.

The style blogs of today are just ridiculous, same format, same language, same style of linking (like, "oooh, I'm wearing this jacket today, see how I styled it another way "here"). It's just hilarious now. People start blogs to talk about their style and slowly but SURELY they start to look just like the others.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
this scott schuman guy is hilarious ...
seeing him on a too big for him bike in the street of Paris is quite hilarious

i've only been "interacting with/watching" streetstyle bloggers who shot pics after fashion shows, and i really hope that "bubble" will explode soon like the internet "bubble" back in the 2000's.
It's really becoming a parody of what street style should be about in my opinion.

backstage pass

I've read liny's post and those which followed only now, and I find the question really interesting! As I already said, I think in the end everyone is entiteled to call himself fashion blogger, there's no authority, that statues any requirements. but to me it's just strange, when people don't add the tiniest bit of thought into their blog, which IMO needs some written statements. I also post outfits and shopping postings from time to time, but for me it's not an essential, especially since I don't dress in a very individual way. and I subscribed to some outfit blogs, but don't follow them regularily. on the other hand I must say that outfit- and random shopping postings on my blog get A LOT more clicks than any sophisticated thoughts.....

still, I agree with softgrey, and I write about the things that I'm interested in, even if nobody wants to read it.... (and since there are A FEW that are interested, I'm more than pleased).

in other blogs I also like photography a lot, because I'm totally into it, without being an expert. so I like daily instagram pix, holiday pix and anything more professional. I think I also like liny's 2a cathegory best, and most of the blogs, she mentioned. when I spot a posting about a book or film, I like too (or even if I don't like it, but liked to read the blogger's thought), I usually follow that blog, no matter how the blogger dresses.

I've read my earlier posting again, and I must say, I sounded really too harsh (and stuck up), sorry for that. I just don't understand the idea of promoting yourself, or better to say the personality you created. For me a blog is the essence of the person behind it, and I like to follow blogs of really different people, who somehow bring in their background, even if they're not writing a personal diary. So for me that essence is missing, when you created some online identity, whose full-time job is dressing nice and having someone to take your picture (in paparazzi-style), and going to blogger - events.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by educo View Post
Lately, I've been staying away from the "style" blogs, because frankly most of them don't have any style and it's starting to abuse my imagination.

As you have rightly pointed out, there are just too MANY blogs around, that they bury some of the really good ones.

My question is - who are the really good ones? Anyone care to share?

07-10-2011
front row

Surely all of this is subjective? I have a list of favourites in my sidebar, but if I listed them, how many would appeal to others? There are certain quirks of personality that I go for, even if the blogger's style isn't of great interest to me. Some are just wonderful to read, or else funny, in depth, etc. Perhaps a 'good' blog, in subjective terms is one that you are excited to catch up on when they write a new post. But I suppose if we are judging professional aptitude and knowledge our approach might be entirely different.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I still wonder what it is that encourages such vitriol towards fashion bloggers (perhaps vitriol is too strong a term, but hopefully you get my point). Is it because they most often feature images of the blogger themselves (especially if the photo's are repetitive, replete with expensive acquisitions)? Or could it be because many bloggers make money this way? Are fashion bloggers exacerbating the culture of 'want', peddling a sort of mindless consumerism? I know that my Tumblr dashboard often strikes me this way, this endless stream of coveted items and luxuries. (sorry, I've wheeled off at a tangent here..)

It's true though, we cannot help being subjective, and whilst I rarely judge bloggers on a super personal level, some certainly irritate me simply because of their attitude. Maybe the things that irritate me the most might actually please other people? There are a handful of blogs that I occasionally take a peek at simply because I am puzzled by the hype surrounding them.

And where does the hype originate? I am amazed (to be honest) at how some of these girls keep it up whilst under consistent scrutiny and expectation. Of course they chose to create a public blog, yet I still wonder how they don't crack under the pressure (for I sure would!). Take tavi, for example, and FashionToast: I follow neither of them, but I have to admire their commitment to what they do.
Does fashion blogging always have to be synonymous with mindless self indulgence? I'm not at all sure, personally. Once the pressure is on, I wonder if it takes away a certain element of fun and spontaneity.

I'm rabbling at random now, but this thread always gets me thinking.

As for The Sartorialist, I can't say that I am impressed by anything that I have read about the man himself, but I have to admit his work has value, although it tends to restrict itself to a very specific set of values: class, body types, location, etc.

Do people generally resent his success, or do they feel he deserves it? Or perhaps his legendary modesty just gets in the way

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 07-10-2011 at 06:36 PM.
17-11-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

Quote:
Can You Trust the Editorial Integrity of Personal Style Blogs? A Closer Look at How Bloggers Make Money

Once the provenance of earnest fashion fans on the fringes of the industry, blogs have evolved into legitimate media sources and, more importantly, big moneymakers. Just look at today’s WWD story highlighting “hot fashion bloggers” like Bryan Boy and Susie Bubble. The feature goes on to detail how each notable blogger makes their money, how many monthly page views their sites get, and presents an important question: “Bloggers sitting front row have become commonplace—as have partnerships with leading brands and fashion houses that often blur the nature of what they do: Reportage and criticism or marketing and promotion?”

Whether it’s by partnering with brands, styling shoots, receiving payment (or free product) for writing posts or getting commission on the sale of items they post about, some bloggers are seriously cashing in on their influence. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with making money. These bloggers work hard, are dedicated to their followers and add a unique voice to the fashion dialogue. “Bloggers produce original content; they have a unique talent [whether it be photographing, styling, writing] and it’s obvious,” says Karen Robinovitz, co-founder and chief creative office of Digital Brand Architects, an agency that reps “top tier bloggers.” “Why would you, for instance, hire any stylist when you can hire just as talented a stylist but one that also has 75,000 followers?”

But as blogs make the transition from personal style diaries to profit-turning businesses, some readers have begun to feel that original and unbiased content, once the keystone of what made blogs so relevant, has taken a hit.

READERS READJUST THEIR EXPECTATIONS

“At the beginning of the fashion blog uprising I loved the rawness of it all,” Fashionista commenter Kathryn McMorries Heller recently wrote beneath a post in which Cathy Horyn advised bloggers not to be “shady.” “Responsible and active readers have always had to keep in mind who owns/sponsors/advertises any print or TV media. Now, you should keep that in mind with many blogs as well.”

Another Fashionista commenter, Andrea Stark Ratner, agrees, writing, “Now, for many of the “top” bloggers, they are “sent” clothing, shoes, accessories, etc., flown and sent to events all over the world, with everything paid for, and then there is a blog post about the “gift” or event and a link to where the reader can purchase the item or get in on what is happening…This practice takes the ‘pureness’ out of blogging…the blogger is no longer doing it for pure love of fashion, but is now a shill for a brand.”

Of course the practice of receiving free swag isn’t exactly a secret: Most bloggers disclose what products they were “gifted” in their posts (we get swag and tell you when we write about it). But not all of them do. Moreover, some bloggers feel pressure to wear or write about a certain product in order to maintain a good relationship with a brand, in hopes that either more free product–or a paid gig–will come their way as a result. One popular blogger we spoke with, who wished to remain anonymous, told us, “Right now, all brands are doing the same thing: They’re sending free product to bloggers or to online fashion publications and having them feature the product. It’s a slightly vicious cycle of bribery.”

BLURRING THE LINES

So when is writing about a product, received for free, a form of paid endorsement–or even an advertisement–and when is it merely a review?

For some bloggers the answer is fuzzy. The same anonymous blogger maintained that she preserves her blog’s editorial integrity, but also said that she usually sent copy to brands for approval before posting. “[On a recent project] I sent copy for approval and they were adamant about me including two buzz words in the title, so I made that change for them,” she told us. For the post in question, she did not disclose that she was receiving payment, and, as a practice, she says she does not reveal if a product was given to her for free “because whatever I’m wearing are things that I would’ve purchased anyway.”

Leandra Medine of Manrepeller isn’t coy about making money off her blog. “I don’t do work without getting paid,” she told us. “I feel like asking me to write something or style something without paying me is like asking an accountant to file your taxes without paying them.” However, she makes sure she only partners with labels that “jive” with her brand saying, “I won’t partner with designers if I know that I don’t like their brand. I tell anyone who is sending me clothing that I may or may not post it. I definitely don’t want to lose my credibility in that capacity.”

For Kelly Framel of The Glamourai, editorial integrity is rigidly maintained. Framel always makes a point to disclose whether or not an item has been gifted and makes it clear to her readers when she is being paid by a brand. Like Medine, she says she’s wary of partnering with brands that don’t align with her sensibility. “I’m very adamant when I go into a brand relationship about making sure that I have [editorial control],” she told us. “I recently walked away from a sizeable offer from a brand because they wanted to dictate what the verbage was and how I presented their product. They were assuming that we could have the same relationship as they would have with an advertorial.”

THE RULES

While Framel passed on the deal, other, less scrupulous (or uninformed) bloggers may not. And, as it turns out, such deals, if left undisclosed, are in direct violation of the Federal Trade Commission’s guidelines which state: “The post of a blogger who receives cash or in-kind payment to review a product is considered an endorsement. Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service.” However, even the FTC seems fuzzy on the issue, saying, “decisions will be reached on a case-by-case basis.” In an email, Betsy Lordan, a rep for the FTC, added that, “The [FTC]’s revised Guides governing endorsements and testimonials are guidance. They are not rules or regulations, so there are no monetary penalties, or penalties of any kind, associated with them.”

In other words, there is not necessarily any incentive for bloggers to disclose whether they are receiving free product, commission on a sale (which one blogger admitted to doing undisclosed), or even payment for featuring a product. Some of them might be content on cashing in on their audience’s attention, while others might just be ignorant of the proper practices, and the repercussions of their actions. Keep in mind that, unlike in the print and traditional media world, many of these bloggers did not study journalism, or have work experience and they don’t have any corporate guidelines to follow. (WWD pointed out that “Besides her blog, [Rumi Neely of Fashion Toast] has never had a job that’s lasted more than a month.”) Which is probably why the FTC says, “We’re not monitoring bloggers and we have no plans to…If law enforcement becomes necessary, our focus will be on advertisers, not endorsers.”

But penalties and rule-breaking aside, how has the monetization of blogs affected the quality of their editorial content? “If it’s done properly [integrating ad content] won’t ever impact editorial integrity,” said Robinovitz, who reps Framel as well as Sea of Shoes’ Jane Aldridge and Jamie Beck of From Me To You. “Every single blogger that we work with, before we even discuss what the opportunity is, we do a litmus test for their passion for the brand and for the content because if it’s not something they would have done organically to me its not worth doing just for money. We tell our clients that just because they love a brand, doesn’t mean they have to do that exact opportunity if that opportunity doesn’t feel like the best fit. You cant rush into things, you have to be very careful. I think everyone can tell when something is inauthentic.”

There was one thing everyone we spoke to agreed upon: Blogs, once hailed as the democratic voice of fashion, have become brands themselves, questions about their authenticity and originality have rightfully been asked. How these questions will be answered is, for now, up to bloggers. What sort of guidelines do you think they should follow?
- FASHIONISTA.COM

Last edited by Thefrenchy; 17-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.
25-11-2011
fashion icon

I've given up on the personal style blogs. Most have become parodies of one another. People wear mix-matched patterns/proportions of designer mixed with Zara while standing pigeon-toed in a park or wherever trying to look like they were caught off-guard by their own auto-timed camera. Everyone's all dressed up every single day to go where? Barnes and Noble? McDonald's? Starbucks? The contrived nature of style blogs makes them unbearable. It sucks that the only ones that come to national attention are the ones featuring rich kids modeling designer clothes their parents money bought.

26-11-2011
technicolor tweed

Quote:
It sucks that the only ones that come to national attention are the ones featuring rich kids modeling designer clothes their parents money bought.
very true. I feel the blogosphere is overrun with rich kids buying the latest season's must haves in bulk, no sense of innate style, no distinct personality, just buy buy buy buy... "oh look what I snagged the other day"

When I used to subscribe to a lot of blogs I would see the same godforsaken items being purchased all across.
And then they are so quick to defend their "integrity" and their "brand"...

dime a dozen

29-11-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by loladonna View Post
I've given up on the personal style blogs. Most have become parodies of one another. People wear mix-matched patterns/proportions of designer mixed with Zara while standing pigeon-toed in a park or wherever trying to look like they were caught off-guard by their own auto-timed camera. Everyone's all dressed up every single day to go where? Barnes and Noble? McDonald's? Starbucks? The contrived nature of style blogs makes them unbearable. It sucks that the only ones that come to national attention are the ones featuring rich kids modeling designer clothes their parents money bought.
You took the words out of my mouth. I try to ignore how staged they all look focus on the fashion... but it's hard to ignore. And I totally agree about many of them being parodies of one another: they are about 3 or 4 bloggers whose looks are easily interchangeable. They must be aware of each other's looks and I often wonder if they worry about originality - not to say that 1 might be copying the other but they have about the same method of mixing patterns and silhouettes (and Karen Walker Sunglasses)... haven't they realized by now that they're almost clones of one another? I honestly keep expecting them to create their own sub-group of fashion bloggers and give it a name... and maybe linking to one another's blogs through identical navigation bars.

Anyway - forgive my ranting. I do enjoy visiting they're pages and I actually use their blogs for research. I run a retail ecommerce website, w/ hopes of expanding, and I visit their blogs daily to see what new style trend, "it" shoe, or "it" bag might be catching on. Someone, earlier, mentioned that these fashion blogs have value - agreed! I just wish their posts hadn't gotten so hard to swallow.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts