How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2010
V.I.P.

well, i have my favorites i check every day sometimes even more. what they do provide, is current up to the minute images and content...not so unlike this board. its fun to see and read, i dont live by the sword but do enjoy them. magazines i refer to over the month or so i keep them because i love print and its longevity but there is a place for both. if its crap content neither will keep my attention but that goes for pretty much anything...i admire anyone who is successful at what they love to do and in the end the readers will decide who is worthy.

07-07-2010
V.I.P.

would also like to add that even though they are not fashion bloggers per se, i am glad that quite a bit of online stores are now using blogs to update their inventory and sales as well as giving an ensemble lookbook of their stock.

07-07-2010
backstage pass

To those discussing if fashion bloggers can really "sell out", it is the fashion industry, after all, I think that yes they can indeed, to a certain extent. When I first began blogging (about a couple years ago) most blogs were personal fashion blogs that weren't attempting to sell their readers anything, that didn't have ads, or giveaways, or freebies, who mostly withheld from blatant self-promotion, and now all those things are everywhere and fame seems to be a more and more popular motive for starting a blog.

I suppose the difference is that when some began blogging, years ago, no one had really become or knew that you could become a celebrity of sorts through blogging alone, or that you could make money or be sent free stuff, etc... and therefore, I think most had much more pure intentions and were blogging for, dare I say, the right reasons.

tfs star

I find the style blogs a little embarrasing--for them. If I come across somebody's blog where they are like, look at me, look at this outfit, all from forever21, I'm like..aww...sweetie..no one cares.

08-07-2010
once more, with feeling

I get what others are saying about fashion bloggers not being able to sell out because the whole fashion industry is "sold out," so to speak (the cynicism I referred to).

But is there a difference between showing off something because you love it and showing off something because you're paid to do it? Maybe, maybe not. I'm inclined to think there is.

(or more properly, paid off in some other, piddly way than monetary, considering how much benefit the advertised company receives vs. the dress or whatever that the blogger gets in return)

There's a difference of intention. But the same time, the effect on the reader is largely the same, no matter what the intentions of the writer might be. That is, exposure, desire, and consumption.

So maybe, actually, others are right after all. Maybe when you write about fashion, you can't help setting off some spark of desire in others, which all too often turns into the desire to own and consume. Maybe my thinking that fashion blogs were like zines never really worked because zines were about creativity and ideas, not some product.

But I remember blogs that showed DIY projects and outfits composed entirely of secondhand items and old clothes hauled out of the closet, so that you couldn't just run out to the store to buy stuff you saw on the blog. What you could do was admire the creativity and expression that went into the posting. Maybe that's what I miss. There are blogs that still do that, but they're much more rare these days.

Last edited by quimby; 08-07-2010 at 10:18 AM.
08-07-2010
windowshopping

I find most fashion blogs very overrated. I'm tired of seeing the same look at me, look at what I'm doing, look what I just bought over and over again. I think that fashion blogging now lacks inspiration and some people are blogging solely to be invited to exculsive events and get free products from stores.

That being said, I've also found some wonderful blogs that are full of D.I.Ys, objective critiques, and truly inspiring ideas. I just think that fashion blogging should go back to its roots instead of selling out.

And I agree with PonyShow it is really embarssing looking at someone's blog and they're trying extremly hard to be fashionable, and orginal

V.I.P.

[random] thoughts on fashion bloggers: I don't visit fashion blogs, I might do it at times, mostly when boredom aches, in the same way I may end up watching old Britney Spears videos on youtube, but except for escapism, I don't think there's something that genuinely attracts me or that I have gained and imported into my life from them.

I find trends dangerous, you may think you will resist to something but after being in 15 blogs that parade something to be next season's 'must-have', the thought of possessing it yourself is already circling around your head. The brainwashing is contagious for a weak mind like mine.

For 'thoughts' or pseudo-journalist/pedantic ramblings, I have my own - I don't really follow fashion (or music) for reviews or to read what some kid thought about Preen's collection.. and I don't need to see the same collection on 10 different blogs when I can just go through style.com's slideshow.

Someone's personal Topshop collection, A. Wang/Miu Miu DIY projects or clever styling stunts are uninteresting to me as well, especially when it's the same face pretending to pose like a model entry after entry. There's something kind of vulgar about it for me, can't put it into words. Not to sound bitter but honestly, if these clothes were alone on a hanger, against some pretty light, without having to see the blogger's face, I would probably fall in love with that modest play of clothes right away.

The only fashion-related blog that has floored me completely and which is a recent discovery (credits to MMA for recommending it!) is a thing for.. , kept by a Parsons graduate. It seems to provide an intimate but still rather impersonal (if that's even possible) take on fashion inspiration.. 100% through the language of imagery.. and even though you feel like you know the person behind it just through these photos, there isn't really anything that you know about her daily life.. and I find that liberating, the effect of her collages reaches you immediately and it's up to you to process it.. it doesn't awake or feed any social complex or status craving such as 'this is what you should dress/buy/look/pose like'.. it's just pure, unadulterated inspiration. It probably doesn't even fit into the basic meaning of 'blog' but I find it to be a healthy and objective source of ideas.

Anyway, there was this other thread (where I tried to expand a bit more), it touches down on the effect of bloggers in the long-run (icon status). It might be a good read for some.

Last edited by MulletProof; 09-07-2010 at 02:51 AM.
09-07-2010
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyShow View Post
I find the style blogs a little embarrasing--for them. If I come across somebody's blog where they are like, look at me, look at this outfit, all from forever21, I'm like..aww...sweetie..no one cares.
Haha, your comment pretty much sums up 90% of the fashion blogs out there!

09-07-2010
V.I.P.

^I suspect they'll keep going even if their viewing figures decline, like most blogs. But people will definitely pay them less attention. Most of them are just chatter or filler & only the ones which have something more substantial to offer seem to draw a real crowd

windowshopping

Fashion bloggers -- they were a novelty at first but now are a dime a dozen. As with anything, there are good and bad bloggers...but a very select few are actually visionary and interesting to read. Personally, the only one blog I visit is The Sartorialist, which lets the pictures do all the talking.

In general, fashion blogs seem pretty boring and generic -- even the photos they snap of themselves all look the same: look sad and look down, or look sad and look down to the side....sigh. Blogger poses have become tired and cliche. Given a choice, I will always go for a good old-fashioned newsstand copy of W or Vogue.

boop

Blogs seem to be lumped together. There are so many different types of blogs out there and I think it is important to differentiate...

Personally I think there are maybe 4 or 5 with various hybrids

1. The Personal Style Blog: Individuals commentary on their own outfits or clothes.

2. The Street Style Blog: Pictures of stylish people on the street.

3. The Fashion Review Blog: Collection & Product reviews, etc.

4. The DYI Blog: I would categorize this as any blog that teaches you how to do things, whether it be how to make a shirt, or how to fix your eyeshadow.

5. Specific Focus Blog: Blogs only interested in one facet of the industry, say a blog entirely about shoes, a blog entirely about jewelry, etc.

The blogs that I find most interesting are usually the Specific Focus ones, I keep track of certain makeup and handbag blogs at least weekly. Personal Style blogs don't interest me, with the exception of Susie Bubble, Childhood Flames and a few others.

Review blogs are only good if the person has something actually to say, I suppose my personal blog is a review blog and depending on the situation I have something to say but mainly it is just an outlet for expression.

Which brings me to my next point, I think bloggers have gotten a bad rap lately. Not everyone wants to become the next Garance, or Sart, or whoever the hell is the it blogger of the moment, sometimes you really just want to get your thoughts out about things in a place where they'll maybe reach a few likeminded souls. I don't think blogs are boring at all, on the contrary I think some blogs are very interesting but finding the ones that appeal to you most is a difficult thing. I have yet to master Google Reader management in the way that other people have, sometimes I'll see a great blog and then forget the name of it a week later because I didn't write it down.

Also there seems to be this myth that all bloggers are just kids who have nothing to do with fashion, I know that a lot of people are young and outside of the industry but dear god I think there are enough of us old, jaded industry souls writing blogs by this point that people should know better than to refer to bloggers as kids.

Now I'm going to go put my teeth in a jar.

Last edited by Luxx; 09-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.
09-07-2010
windowshopping

Luxx -- very good points! I suppose I was referring to the personal style blogs that are generally boring to me, they don't interest me nearly as much as Street Style or Specific Focus blogs.

rising star

Out of all of the bloggers, I really dislike the ones who have a tumblr. It's like here, everyone look at how deep and profound I am with these beautiful pictures that look cool. And then let me answer all of these questions people have asked me on formspring, because I know all of you have been dieing to know what I think about stuff. It's so sad to see my generation become so narcissistic.

09-07-2010
The future is stupid

^I completely disagree with that. I'm very passionate about tumblr. It can be a total hallucinogenic if used properly. There are people on tumblr that have plenty of beauty to share & are sharing that with others. I go back to certain tumblrs every day knowing that I'm going to see something amazing & beautiful.

I find looking at images to be very comforting & inspiring. Actually, some of my best relationships are with the images that I love. I use my tumblr as an outside expression of what's inside of me. Ever changing & evolving.

Have a blog, look at blogs, or don't. Make your choices wisely, because there's there's never enough time for it all. But the moment you start thinking you know yourself completely, you begin to die a little.

10-07-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Tavi Is Styling Christine Staub for BlackBook’s September Issue

Photo: Jamie McCarthy.WireImage

Maybe you're 24 or 25 and have been toiling in fashion closets for a few years, longing for the year when you can take your full allotted vacation time, which you've never been able to do because the higher-ups always get priority and always need you to do things. Like vacuum and book the manicurist. You call in the Chanel, return the Givenchy, put the Cartier in the safe, refill the styling tape, and organize the racks day in, day out, waiting for your chance to decide which shirt will be shot with which top and which necklace and which bra. Maybe in the gruntiness of it all you wonder where you went wrong, why you're still in a windowless cupboard organizing clothes instead of playing with them. Well, it's not your fault, necessarily. Ten years ago when you were 14, your future competitors weren't getting ahead of the game by blogging about clothes. But now that they are, they're way ahead of you, doing your dream work, making you work for them. Your mistake, it seems, was being born ten years too soon. Tavi the 14-year-old fashion blogger is proof: She just landed a gig styling for BlackBook's September issue.
A BlackBook editor reports that Tavi's mood boards were created with Chloë Sevigny cast to model. However, Sevigny had to drop out of the shoot owing to scheduling conflicts. Tavi then had to pick a new model, so she went with supporting reality-television actress Christine Staub, whose mother, Danielle, is a lead on The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Here's what happened when Tavi got into the closet:
We left her in there, slightly concerned that since the clothes she pulled were minimal for a 10-page fashion editorial — she pulled from 15 designers, but was very selective about which pieces she chose from each — she might get frustrated when pairing items to form looks. Added to the pressure of a first-time styling gig was the presence of Lizzie Widdicombe, who, despite being very sweet, was still a New Yorker reporter writing down Gevinson’s every move and word in her notepad. But Gevinson wasn’t bothered.
When we returned to check on her progress an hour later, she’d created roughly a dozen perfect looks. They were unexpected and perhaps unlikely pairings, but they were also mature, intuitive and inspired. When we first commissioned Gevinson to style the story, we weren’t sure what to expect. That was part of the allure. Can such a new and young fashion authority, one for whom Internet images often replace the touch and texture of actual collections, do the job of a stylist? Can she edit the season’s best clothes, and partner them in an organic and interesting way? Will she be able to put together a fashion narrative and consistent tone? The answer is yes.
So she's getting profiled in The New Yorker, too. Of course she runs the risk of becoming jaded by 15, but that will just add another layer of authority to her expertise.
Tavi Gevinson Styles Her First-Ever Fashion Editorial for ‘BlackBook’ [BlackBook]
from the cut blog. I thought the first part of the article summed up pretty much how I feel about bloggers gaining too much attention. I can't blame Tavi for taking the opportunity. But is it fair that she was offered this opportunity? And I know life isn't fair, and that some people start out young, but something just seems wrong about this.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts