How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Fashion... In Depth
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair View Post
it was started by tom ford, he just used it to his advantage...
plenty of designers starting in the late 70s were selling their name, putting it on everything from bedsheets to bags to dishes because they knew the masses wanted to appear to taste because they bought something from "so-and-so high end designer"

anywoo, i found a very interesting article online showing people like miraslava duma, anna dello russo and taylor tomasi hill about 4-5 years ago before the idea of dressing for photographers really took off and it was hilarious...
they looked like everyone else...

my issue with the article is that menkes seems to only be calling out the bloggers for doing something that everyone is doing, and that magazines and media are playing up...
did vogue.com have a section 4 years ago of just street style photos from fashion week?

i think menkes is a bit sore over the fact that non-journalists are getting the prime front row seats at shows and they are sometimes the ones photographers fawn over...
journalists/editors aren't there to look good, they are there to report on the clothes...
I just noticed that looking back at some of ADR pictures from a couple years ago, while she always wore runway and to me looked fabulous, now she dresses like a walking billboard for over the top dressing or "peacocking" with the crazy *** hats, and it just doesn't seem authentic anymore the way she used to look. Before she looked like someone who loved fashion, now she looks so desperate and quite frankly too old for some of the shenanigans she pulls. I too think suzy is a little bitter because maybe she doesn't feel as important anymore and she clearly doesn't like the change of the guard, everything should stay the same or peoples feathers get ruffled, Me personally am on the fence about how I feel about bloggers, on one hand I love the exclusivity of fashion, on the other hate it because fashion should be enjoyed and interpreted by everyone, but again I hate seeing Bryanboy in the front row of fashion week when there are people researching, working their hands to the bone, standing in the back of these shows or sneaking in just to get a glimpse of what they eat, breath and sleep and haven't had the opportunity that he has and to me does not deserve. He is front row because he wore a big *** fur hat to get attention? Because he promotes products and freebies on his blog? Than again, it has made it easier to break into fashion and given these same hard working people maybe another angle to get their foot in the door, because not everyone can be a model or editor or know someone who knows someone. My thoughts are all over the place but this whole new era is as confusing as my thoughts

26-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDivinitus View Post
Maybe from more optimistic note, there are still bloggers who blog for blogging. Bill Cunningham explained in his documentary why he photoghraphs for free - "if they pay you they own you".

Basically what was already said, getting paid takes away that creative control the blogging was about. I wonder if there should be a term borrowed from the film industry "indie blogger", because "independent" doesn't mean a low budget, star free production anymore.

I keep rejecting any advertising or product placements on my blog, but if a *certain* designer offered me a collab and I agreed, I believe I would still stay true to my ideals.
I totally agree with "if they pay you they own you". popular blogs became more ad magazines whoever pays or sends free high end clothes they wear them or write overrated posts on them.Its that magazines are kind of owned by big fashion houses.Its just vice versa too.But I quit reading blogs once inspirational now full of ad posts.

03-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartan shirt. View Post
I think good fashion blogs are great. The ones where they show off their unique style but have commentary, or maybe something extra like how to get this look, or this hair etc.

One blog I used to follow religiously said she didn't care about fashion and didn't 'get it'. Now she frequently collaborates with Mulberry and YSL. Which confused me.

I think the major thing that irks me is when bloggers start out they seem to want to interact and have fresh ideas about fashion, but the minute money comes in or a label wants to work with them, then suddenly the comments are cut off and it's all very bland. That - along with it seeming every blogger praising Alexa Chung's style.
That's very true and also sad. Once you're handed free cloths and bags, how can you still be partial and have an honest opinion and be interesting in your fashion choice? And how can you not praise the person who is now your ticket to glamorous events?

Last edited by KookyQuirk; 03-03-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: spelling
03-03-2013
V.I.P.

^ I agree. If I was in the position of being offered free stuff I'd find it very hard to not accept the stuff but if you're accepting free stuff who knows what you would choose to spend your money on if you weren't receiving them, that's another thing I don't like about it. You may like and wear that free jumper but if you had to buy it you may have chosen to spend your money on something else(limited money and all that!) so your style and choices are being influenced by the free stuff even if you feel they are not.

loaded and locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegsXI View Post
^ I agree. If I was in the position of being offered free stuff I'd find it very hard to not accept the stuff but if you're accepting free stuff who knows what you would choose to spend your money on if you weren't receiving them, that's another thing I don't like about it. You may like and wear that free jumper but if you had to buy it you may have chosen to spend your money on something else(limited money and all that!) so your style and choices are being influenced by the free stuff even if you feel they are not.
This is very, very, very, true.

Being a blogger who is often offered free swag myself, I *many times* say "no". One thing, I`m not a style blogger, and another, I just wouldn't be able to wear it without raising eyebrows or feeling...well, ugly in it because it's not my style.

I think "I would never purchase this myself" is at the back of the mind of EVERY blogger who receives something they did not choose.

Then again, if there is a way I can make it work, I might take it. After all, the barometer of a good blogger or stylist (more my forte) is using what you have in your wardrobe to make it "you". That is something that's not so difficult.

I on the other hand do not wear brown or denim. So anything of that nature is immediately a `no thanks`

04-07-2013
windowshopping

What I really don't understand is why Menkes and other people voicing similar criticisms seem to be so against 'peacocking' or 'wearing clothes because you like them for the sake of other people seeing you in them.' Yes, I agree, the circus outside fashion shows is a little distasteful at times because I feel like it's often posed and fake, but is it really so strange that people interested in fashion actually might want to dress up and be seen? What is her issue with The Style Rookie and StyleBubble and their creators - middle class girls who blogged about the cool outfits they styled or created themselves?

I think it's awfully disingenuous to slam bloggers for being too 'materialistic,' 'narcissistic' etc. The whole fashion industry is about clothes, that generally need to be purchased, and clothes are made for wearing, and people wear clothes in all situations with the knowledge that other people will see them if they leave the house (and often if they don't). Pretending that back in the 'good old days' people were so much less shallow because their obsession with fashion didn't translate to their own bodies doesn't even make any sense. It's not less shallow or materialistic if you fawn over clothes on someone else's body rather than your own. Wanting to be an embodiment of your own aesthetic and outlook would be considered an admirable trait for any artist. If you are a person who cares about fashion, it's not your place to tell others that they're too narcissistic or shallow for dressing fashionably in public, whether that's on the internet or not. Obviously when it seems completely unnatural and staged it's one thing, as in the case of some fashion 'insiders' now, but when you bash a 14 year old girl from the suburbs for dressing how she likes that makes you look like a jealous, mean, ungenerous person with no love for style or fashion whatsoever.

Edit: regarding the idea that without freebies, you would choose to buy something different - this is true, but many young bloggers just starting out would not have the option to buy ANYTHING without freebies. i think accepting something you feel you would buy if your financial situation allowed it is not lacking integrity or losing your style. poor people are limited in what they can buy all the time, because they are poor. i haven't gone shopping in many months and can't even pay rent, but even when i did go shopping i would buy 10 dollar shirts and 15 dollar dresses on huge sales because i couldn't afford anything else. most of my clothes are bought for me as christmas and birthday gifts by relatives. if i could wear whatever i wanted, i wouldn't be choosing the things i have in my closet now, but i make do with them anyway and i think i have an interesting and coherent sense of style. the idea that freebies 'corrupt' someone's style is very simplistic because in reality very few people have the choice to wear what they really want. they have to choose from what is available to them.

Last edited by wetsleeves; 04-07-2013 at 05:23 AM.
04-07-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsleeves View Post
What I really don't understand is why Menkes and other people voicing similar criticisms seem to be so against 'peacocking' or 'wearing clothes because you like them for the sake of other people seeing you in them.' Yes, I agree, the circus outside fashion shows is a little distasteful at times because I feel like it's often posed and fake, but is it really so strange that people interested in fashion actually might want to dress up and be seen? What is her issue with The Style Rookie and StyleBubble and their creators - middle class girls who blogged about the cool outfits they styled or created themselves?

I think it's awfully disingenuous to slam bloggers for being too 'materialistic,' 'narcissistic' etc. If you are a person who cares about fashion, it's not your place to tell others that they're too narcissistic or shallow for dressing fashionably in public, whether that's on the internet or not. Obviously when it seems completely unnatural and staged it's one thing, as in the case of some fashion 'insiders' now, but when you bash a 14 year old girl from the suburbs for dressing how she likes that makes you look like a jealous, mean, ungenerous person with no love for style or fashion whatsoever.

regarding the idea that without freebies, you would choose to buy something different - this is true, but many young bloggers just starting out would not have the option to buy ANYTHING without freebies. the idea that freebies 'corrupt' someone's style is very simplistic because in reality very few people have the choice to wear what they really want. they have to choose from what is available to them.
i dont know any poor or lower middle class fashion bloggers. do you? i doubt brands would want their wares seen on the poor or lower middle class.

the laws may be different in your country, but in the US advertising an item without stating that you received it as a "gift" or a "loan" as a blogger is against the law.

it is commercial speech. so why shouldnt people feel free to critique it just like an other advert on TV?

and times have changed. not everyone back in the day was a walking advertisement. paid fashion bloggers are the epitome of this.

Last edited by lucy92; 04-07-2013 at 05:24 PM.
05-07-2013
technicolor tweed

I think the big gripe is that the "peacock" syndrome has led to a diffusion of a vacuous interest in fashion.. be it the "it" pieces, the "it" designer, etc. No one cares anymore about the designer's body of work, if the collection shown is cohesive or what it stands for, what was trying to be expressed.
These types of blogs, except maybe for Style Bubble have dwindled into obscurity.
After fashion week the blogs are awash with the "must have items" or for the more prominent figures, pictures of said bloggers already wearing the items to consolidate their VIP status.

A perfect example is the wildly successful Blonde Salad blogger that, after being asked her opinion on McQueen, responded "oh yes! the designer that puts all the skulls on stuff"

I firmly believe that an interest in fashion can be distinguished in shallow and not shallow. It is a verifiable multi-faceted art form (photography, performance art, sculpture, structure, etc) therefore who treats and observes it as such should deserve to flourish, which is unfortunately not the case.
I think Menkes laments exactly this, that all the wrong parts of fashion have exploded and overflowed into the mainstream.

05-07-2013
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsleeves View Post
Edit: regarding the idea that without freebies, you would choose to buy something different - this is true, but many young bloggers just starting out would not have the option to buy ANYTHING without freebies. i think accepting something you feel you would buy if your financial situation allowed it is not lacking integrity or losing your style. poor people are limited in what they can buy all the time, because they are poor. i haven't gone shopping in many months and can't even pay rent, but even when i did go shopping i would buy 10 dollar shirts and 15 dollar dresses on huge sales because i couldn't afford anything else. most of my clothes are bought for me as christmas and birthday gifts by relatives. if i could wear whatever i wanted, i wouldn't be choosing the things i have in my closet now, but i make do with them anyway and i think i have an interesting and coherent sense of style. the idea that freebies 'corrupt' someone's style is very simplistic because in reality very few people have the choice to wear what they really want. they have to choose from what is available to them.
but when you are a blogger just starting out, no one is sending you free stuff...
you have a start blogging with what's in your closet, and really at that point, it's how you're putting together pieces, showing off your own style, and many times, those pieces are from places like H&M, zara, topshop, etc.
what i've seen happen is that once bloggers achieve a level of success, then they are even given free product or are making more money from their blog to be able to afford more expensive items, and then the bloggers are criticized for not being "approachable" anymore...
there is no law saying that when you're given free merchandise that you have to accept/wear it, but many bloggers do because they feel that if they don't, the freebies will stop coming...
that to me is corrupting or changing your style...

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungla_Juana View Post

A perfect example is the wildly successful Blonde Salad blogger that, after being asked her opinion on McQueen, responded "oh yes! the designer that puts all the skulls on stuff"
This, this so bad! I watched that interview and cringed all the way through.

10-07-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamrockgal View Post
great thread. I am a blogger too and also reading some fashion blogs- many of them Swedish and I see they promote a lifestyle and some brands that support these bloggers.I am bored of seeing freebies becoming their style so I dont follow any of them on instagram or twitter because they are all reposts.I try to read less popular blogs with great style tastes and I dont read many blogs.I quit reading massive ad like blogs because its no different than reading a magazine.I recently read less popular blogs who have high end style or vintage - thrift style but less popular.Its more inspiring to me.
I am also blogger but i stay true to myself plus it's just a hobby and a habbit actually..
I also hate those overly advertised, freebie,michael kors watch blogs ( in finland, every popular blog is that girl will wear basically only gina tricot, zara and hm and the blogs are all the same, everyone copying one another, i dont read finnish blogs because they dont have any originality or taste imo and they all have michael kors watches!!) i dare you to see few finnish blogs and i am sure you will agree..

23-07-2013
windowshopping

Great article! Although the essence of blogging is supposed to be coming from the heart - you won't be able to help it. Once the money starts rolling in, I guess its difficult for it not to change you. Thats why I really admire the already popular bloggers who stick to their gut and instinct. Also I do try to look for newer, fresher bloggers, those who aren't as much sucked into the global fashion industry - im not very much a fan of Bryan Boy or Tavi Gevinson. I prefer those who speak about regular average life, or at least are able to capture that in photos. There's this one article I recently read of new bloggers from Latin America - well I haven't checked them all out yet. But you know, its nice to read about them cause they still have all these fresh ideals Incase you want to research on them too: http://fashionbi.com/newspaper/the-b...ican-countries

01-08-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita-karoliina View Post
I also hate those overly advertised, freebie,michael kors watch blogs ( in finland, every popular blog is that girl will wear basically only gina tricot, zara and hm and the blogs are all the same, everyone copying one another, i dont read finnish blogs because they dont have any originality or taste imo and they all have michael kors watches!!).
shitbloggerswear.tumblr.com

this made me laugh.

rising star

^That blog is prescious! Hahahaha.

I prefer bloggers that really write their opinion and good research. Tumblr has a big fashion crowds, yet it's still hard to find bloggers that actually do writings well. Since i start my blog in tumblr there are only 4 people that i actually do discussion with. When i wrote an article about Tom Ford's history in Gucci someone told me he didnt even know Tom Ford once designing for Gucci. Or questions like "Can i buy Haute Couture in ebay?" from a girl who posts every freakin branded stuffs she bought. Sometimes it's annoying. That's why i never really take style bloggers like Bryan Boy seriousy (except for Susie since i read BoF). It's like most of them just jump into what's hype like look-at-me-im-so-fashion and when you asked them about Inditex profit or what is LVMH or who's Emmanuelle Alt is they won't even know.

20-08-2013
front row

I personally would never wear something too trendy- but on the other hand I see so many style bloggers run their blogs this wear: showing how to wear even the most funny and bad trends ex: leopard prints or neon head to toe or that latest nail trends etc. I promised myself to never wear and buy a michael kors bag or watch.never ever. due to my personal taste if style blogger has an individual style beyond trends then I can be insterested in to check out.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bloggers, fashion, thoughts